Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Stray voltages. This was rather alarming.

http://www.today.com/video/today/56422860#56416055

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/14/2014 12:39 PM, David Farber wrote:
http://www.today.com/video/today/56422860#56416055

They were lax in showing where they connected the ground in that
video. I'm sure they did but where? How far from the pole.
The light bulb shows it is not a high impedance source.
I can see someone either planing a lawsuit or starting a business.

Mikek

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/14/2014, 11:13 AM, amdx wrote:
On 11/14/2014 12:39 PM, David Farber wrote:
http://www.today.com/video/today/56422860#56416055

They were lax in showing where they connected the ground in that
video. I'm sure they did but where? How far from the pole.
The light bulb shows it is not a high impedance source.
I can see someone either planing a lawsuit or starting a business.

Mikek

Interesting story, I wasn't aware of that potential problem (sorry) for
electrical leakage.

So, what some smart person needs to devise is a simple test device that
can detect radiative leakage without contact...like the truck shown has,
but inexpensive...

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Years ago someone died in town here, electrocuted by a grate on the sidewalk.

For the next bunch of months, the local power company sponsored the TV news ad nauseum.

That's culpability if I even seen it, because it is completely obvious they wanted the story downplayed lest public awareness be raised.

But it is not a coverup, and there are no conspiracies. It's called "need to know" and "cooperation". They cooperate to gain money and power over others, and we have no need to know about tnings that can kill us.

Everything is going according to plan.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

Years ago someone died in town here, electrocuted by a grate on the
sidewalk.

Citation needed.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Unfortunately that would be me.

The story was in the local paper, and then the barrage of advertising.

Don't believe it if you want. I just make **** like this up all day. Back when it happened I did not even have internet access. Well over ten years ago.

Here is about the closest thing I can find at the moment :

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/061...1303054.shtml#

"A pedestrian died on a Cleveland sidewalk in 1987 when he stepped onto an energized metal plate near a bus shelter. A transformer carrying power for lights in the shelter was faulty."

That sounds like about the right time. Why is it in an out of state news source ? Don't ask me.

But that only means that it happened. There is no way in hell I can get you the TV ads and full page newspaper ads that followed. If got any suggestions on how to find something like that I am all ears.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

Unfortunately that would be me.

The story was in the local paper, and then the barrage of advertising.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
wrote:

But that only means that it happened. There is no way in hell I can get
you the TV ads and full page newspaper ads that followed. If got any
suggestions on how to find something like that I am all ears.

If you know the dates, you could look for (and perhaps find and
search) an on-line digital archive of the newpaper(s) in the area.
Alternatively, a large library might still have a microfilm-based
"morgue" archive of the newspapers.

Expect to spend lots of time looking - most such archives are probably
going to be visual-only and haven't been OCR'ed and indexed as text.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"John Robertson" wrote in message

So, what some smart person needs to devise is a simple
test device that can detect radiative leakage without
contact... like the truck shown has, but inexpensive...

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/72-750

Many companies make these. I have one.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"A pedestrian died on a Cleveland sidewalk in 1987 when he stepped onto an
energized metal plate near a bus shelter. A transformer carrying power for
lights in the shelter was faulty."

That sounds like about the right time. Why is it in an out of state news
source ? Don't ask me.

But that only means that it happened.

Well that's where your logic totally fails.

You THINK it happened because you read it somewhere.

Jesus.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Yeah, and you only THINK WW2 happened.

I did not ****ing imagine it, WTF are you trying to say ?

That means the OP only thinks it happened. That means the Today show only tinks it happened.

WTF.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"If you know the dates, you could look for (and perhaps find and
search) an on-line digital archive of the newpaper(s) in the area. "

Yeah, and find a story on page 99Z because the electric company, which has a monopoly in most of the area, all the sudden thought it needed a multi-million dollar advertising budget, to advertise their exclusive product.

They are a monopoly in most of the county. All the sudden the are advertising like crazy. Just how much coverage do you think their screwup is going to get when they are now a major advertiser ?

I am surprised I could even get what I got.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

Yeah, and you only THINK WW2 happened.

I did not ****ing imagine it, WTF are you trying to say ?

That means the OP only thinks it happened. That means the Today show only
tinks it happened.

WTF.

Seems to me you believe what you watch on the TV and read in the papers is
factual.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/14/2014, 2:07 PM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"John Robertson" wrote in message

So, what some smart person needs to devise is a simple
test device that can detect radiative leakage without
contact... like the truck shown has, but inexpensive...

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/72-750

Many companies make these. I have one.

Crap, wasn't thinking...indeed I've seen those around. I think I'll pick
up one, handy even if one isn't concerned about stray power in the street.

Thanks!

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message ...

You THINK it happened because you read it somewhere.

This problem isn't new. I read about it several years ago.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Seems to me you believe what you watch on the TV and read in the papers is
factual. "

OK, I stand corrected. The OP is false. Nothing has ever happened and neither of us were ever born. Life is just a figment of my imaginatiion.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message ...

"Seems to me you believe what you watch on the TV
and read in the papers is factual. "

OK, I stand corrected. The OP is false. Nothing has ever happened and
neither of us were ever born. Life is just a figment of my imaginatiion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TFJhZa4V7o

I've been talking with a (relatively) famous physicist who agrees that matter
doesn't really exist.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

"Seems to me you believe what you watch on the TV and read in the papers is
factual. "

OK, I stand corrected. The OP is false. Nothing has ever happened and
neither of us were ever born. Life is just a figment of my imaginatiion.

Jurb, this is a long shot, but do you smoke a lot of cannabis?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Don't bother responding to me because I do not exist.

The story does not exist if it is not on the net.

The metal plates on the sidewalk do not exist.

The wires under the ground doo not exist.

The dead body does not exist.

You do not exist.

Boy I got sooooo much pleasure just making that **** up.

But then I must be lying because I do not exist.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"I've been talking with a (relatively) famous physicist who agrees that matter
doesn't really exist. "

There are two schools of thought steeped in that belief.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

Don't bother responding to me because I do not exist.

The story does not exist if it is not on the net.

The metal plates on the sidewalk do not exist.

The wires under the ground doo not exist.

The dead body does not exist.

You do not exist.

Boy I got sooooo much pleasure just making that **** up.

But then I must be lying because I do not exist.

Jurb, it is all in your head.
If there was proof you could find it, you are not stupid.

Trouble is, a lot of the misinformation out there is created by people like
you who see no need for proof, because it suits their agenda to spout
rubbish and pretend that really is the truth.
Mostly after a few spliffs, I imagine.

Been there, done that.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Wow.

Just wow.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Nov wrote:

"Yeah, and you only THINK WW2 happened.

I did not ****ing imagine it, WTF are you trying to say ?

That means the OP only thinks it happened. That means the Today show only tinks it happened.

WTF. "

Some folks is just denialist in nature. No sense in wasting your time.

It has to happen to THEM in order to convince them.

Move on.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Nov 14William Sommerwerck wrote:

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message ...

You THINK it happened because you read it somewhere.

This problem isn't new. I read about it several years ago. "

This one's not worth the effort, Wills.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/14/2014, 3:55 PM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
wrote in message

"Seems to me you believe what you watch on the TV
and read in the papers is factual. "

OK, I stand corrected. The OP is false. Nothing has ever happened and
neither of us were ever born. Life is just a figment of my imaginatiion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TFJhZa4V7o

I've been talking with a (relatively) famous physicist who agrees that
matter doesn't really exist.

It's all relative...

John ;-#)#

www.flippers.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/14/2014, 4:42 PM, Gareth Magennis wrote:

wrote in message

Don't bother responding to me because I do not exist.

The story does not exist if it is not on the net.

The metal plates on the sidewalk do not exist.

The wires under the ground doo not exist.

The dead body does not exist.

You do not exist.

Boy I got sooooo much pleasure just making that **** up.

But then I must be lying because I do not exist.

Jurb, it is all in your head.
If there was proof you could find it, you are not stupid.

Trouble is, a lot of the misinformation out there is created by people
like you who see no need for proof, because it suits their agenda to
spout rubbish and pretend that really is the truth.
Mostly after a few spliffs, I imagine.

Been there, done that.

Not a fantasy:

http://www.ibtimes.com/melting-snow-...following-dogs

http://scienceblogs.com/effectmeasur...e-to-be-zappe/

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...Urine-Mallorca

http://inspectapedia.com/electric/El...tor_Safety.htm

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun...afety-20100605

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/face/in-house/full8816.html

https://ratulbaruah.wordpress.com/tag/electric-shock/

and on and on...

It is something we need to be aware of...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Shhhh, too much proof and I won't get my check in the mail for lying.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, November 14, 2014 5:41:39 PM UTC-5, Gareth Magennis wrote:

Seems to me you believe what you watch on the TV and read in the papers is
factual.

Seems to me you believe 100% of everything you watch on the TV and read in the papers is bull****.

Well, here's a few more links of stories that were fabricated on this subject just for your amusement:

http://strayvoltagenyc.org/stray-voltage-risks

http://www.ibtimes.com/melting-snow-...following-dogs

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4508528/ns.../#.VGixx2fNnb0

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=3428,1891954

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I use common sense. If the story doesn't fit, it is usualy ****. This fits.

There is alot. Assad did not uise the gas. (per Porton Donw in Britian, experts and suppliers of such things) Saddam's WMDs were in the Iraqi banks, billions of USDs waiting to flood the market after he switched to the euro. (they showed that on TV but forgot to mention the switch to the euro) Venezuea getting the jump on Germany to get their gold back from "safekeeping" in the US, now Germany is shortchanged. Oh sure, the story has been "debunked" but tell me why it is going to take YEARS to ship it back ? Didn't take anywhere near that long to ship TO the US.

Did they tell you what happened to Rhodesia ? It has now come out because it is a total basketcase, but back then it was oh so grand that they had a Black President finallly and White oppressuon had ended. Yeah right. Mugabe took the farmland and gave it to the blacks and now they went from being practically the breadbasket of the region to being worse than a third world country, because they COULD have it. they do not have the excuse of being in the desert.

What else neverhappened ? The virus they put in milk now to prolong its shelf life ? (it infects the bacteria that makes it sour) Oh no, can't believe they would ever do such a thing, BUT, take and let some milk out (in the US only) and see if it sours. It does not sour, it goes bitter now. That is tangible folks cause you can do the experiment yourself. Of course when we all die off nobody is going to remember how regular sour milk used to smell or taste.

Anyway, it it is foolish to doubt that these electrical shocks and worse actually happen(ed). The only thing you can reasonably doubt is my assertion that a MONOPOLY deemed it worth it to have a great advertising campaign right after he incident. You can think I made it up, or that is was my perception or misperception. You can up and down about how there is no proof. Damn, it is hard to get news from that era, now I have to get the full page nespaper ads and TV commercials ? Of course you can't get all that ****.

So it never happened ? You actually beleive that a company will not spend money on damage control after their negilence kills someone ?

Anyone can believer disbelieve any damn thing they want. I mak those decisions on a sound basis. DOES IT MAKE SENSE ?

One of the biggest mistakes people make are to consider the source but not the content. I'll go to certain sites considered "crackpot" but then I take names and go to Google or whatever and find other sources. Soetimes they are there, other times not so much. Also, some of my source are proven right at a later date.

Does everyone know that the US is responsible for the Iatolla Khomeni gaining power in Iran, and caused most of this ****ing problem ? The US CAUSED Iran to become the theocratic nightmare it is today, (by deposing Mosadeq)we became the great Satan, back in 1952. In 1979, those were not hostages. The US was harboring a fugitive, alot worse than Assange or Snowden.

But I am learning to allow the ignorant to remain ignorant. Sow but sure.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

fOn 11/14/2014 12:39 PM, David Farber wrote:
http://www.today.com/video/today/56422860#56416055

"The term stray voltage describes a special case of voltage developed on the grounded-neutral system of a farm and is defined as 10 volts (measured as the root-mean-square value of 50 or 60 Hz alternating voltage, Vrms) between two points that can be contacted simultaneously by an animal (animal contact voltage). The grounding and neutral systems on a farm or in a home wiring system should be properly bonded to ensure electrical safety. As a result, some level of voltage between the grounded-neutral system and the earth (neutral-to-earth voltage) [NEV] is always present as a normal consequence of the operation of properly installed electrical equipment. The term stray voltage is often applied incorrectly to other electrical phenomena such as electric fields, magnetic fields, electric current flowing in the earth (earth currents), or electric current flowing on a grounding conductor (ground currents). Electric currents flowing in the earth or on grounded metal objects will affect animals only if sufficient animal contact voltage is developed."

-- http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/mana...l_housing.html

-------------------
Many utilities disclaim responsibility in the US and Canada ...

by OE Board - 2008
May 30, 2008 - Farm Stray Voltage: Issues and Regulatory Options. May 2008 ....... distributor is not responsible for variations in voltage from external forces

-- http://www.ontarioenergyboard.ca/oeb...r_20080530.pdf
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I just dropped by to mention something since the thread is still kinda alive.

Don't think just going home will save you from electrical shock. there are so many people who doi wiring in houses who don't know WTF they're doing that I would GUESS that the chance of getting electrocuted at home is still more likely than out on the street. I did a bunch of remodeling over the years and have seen the nightmares. I know hat I am doing and got my bona fides frome the toughest electrical inspector in the area, dubbed "Ivan The Terrible". COntractors feared him but he didn't bother me.

Thing is, these stray voltages, they can be more of an indication of the infrastructure getting old. They WERE instaled according to code. Designed to last how many years ? Maybe they have lasted all those years by now. Like an old car. If you got a 1967 Chevy that needs its first new set of ball joints, you got nothing to bitch about to Chevy.

In the Cleveland case I mentioned I suspect someting might have been done wrong and they might have been culpable. Like I said, instead of news after that happened we got all kinds of commercials form the power company on the TV.

But still, that does not prove them culpable. It proves them to havve a public relations department. when thingss go wrong you deal with it either way..

I'd like to sue the asshole who used extension cord to hook up a new outlet in her bathroom. And then hooked it up backwards. That is worse than a regular outlet then, when it trips you no longer SHARE the current with the fault, you get it all.

The things I've seen in residential electric would puthair on your chest, curl it and take it off all in one fell swoop. And as some here can attest, I even thought the story about the phone ringing and the dog barking was a joke.

For real ? For real.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 1:03:28 AM UTC-5, wrote in sci.electronics.repair:

I just dropped by to mention something since the thread is still kinda alive.

Yeah, I don't have much to do these days. Maybe play "Star Trek Online", I don't know.

Don't think just going home will save you from electrical shock. there

Work, either.

are so many people who doi wiring in houses who don't know WTF they're
doing that I would GUESS that the chance of getting electrocuted at
home is still more likely than out on the street. I did a bunch of
remodeling over the years and have seen the nightmares.

I haven't done much of actual rough in, finishing, connection or disconnect. Just mostly bull crud, I guess. I still try to keep up. But, its mostly talk for me. Video games, etc. Just jive, mostly. Nothing serious (believe me).

I know hat I am doing and got my bona fides frome the toughest
electrical inspector in the area, dubbed "Ivan The Terrible".
COntractors feared him but he didn't bother me.

Then again, I guess maybe they'd all say that when it came down to it.

Thing is, these stray voltages, they can be more of an indication
of the infrastructure getting old.

Well, yeah. That's one thing I posted about. It (whatever happened) may not "technically" have been called a "stray voltage".

They WERE instaled according to code. Designed to last how many
years ? Maybe they have lasted all those years by now. Like an
old car. If you got a 1967 Chevy that needs its first new set of
ball joints, you got nothing to bitch about to Chevy.

Yeah, ultimately that's car mechanics stuff though, not us electricians' (helper at least for me).

In the Cleveland case I mentioned I suspect someting might have
been done wrong and they might have been culpable.

Decided by negotiations of their and the opposing side's and other side's lawyers - probably just a three minute phone call. (It would surprise you).

Like I said, instead of news after that happened we got all kinds
of commercials form the power company on the TV.

Yeah, strangely a bunch of "new" warnings, but no financial settlements. Strange for us peons, huh? Then again, I guess not. Then again, distribution isn't in this for free. Power companies are still in it for the buck.