Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is P&W 2E Jig Borer hopelessly obsolete?

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 15:11:19 -0600, Ignoramus15788

On 2015-01-18, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 09:32:56 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 20:51:02 -0600, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

On 1/17/2015 12:06 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 10:01:17 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 19:22:57 -0600, Ignoramus15619
wrote:

I have this Pratt and Whitney #2E jig borer. It weighs appx. 19,000
lbs. I wonder if my supposition is true and no one wants those these
days?

Picture

http://goo.gl/hko1pu

A few people still use these. But the price has to be right. At 19k
lbs...they have to be close.

Shipping may be more than the price of the P&W

Gunner

To say that "a few people still use these" is not the same thing as
saying "someone would buy one of these."

As we discussed, machines of this type that are still in use are
mostly dedicated to some long-running production job. It's hard to
imagine someone buying one of these things today.

Maybe those exact people. Have only one on a long term production job
that you want to protect and keep? Backup unit that can bounce
production up to make the customer happy when his product gets a bounce.

Martin

Guy I know keeps making L:ARGE titanium rings for NASA..used as
mounts for some rocket engine...on his Richardson 10' VTL..circia
about 1954ish

VTLs and VBMs (two flavors of the same things), as I mentioned, are
one of the few old machine types that are worth restoring -- if you're
specifically turning very large ring-type parts.

I could not sell a great looking Bullard VTL with DROs two glass
scales, just last Christmas season. It will be scrapped next week.

You have to find the right buyer at the right time. I was running a
48" Bullard last week while my buddy was running the 10' Richardson
beside me.,

And we are stripping and cleaning up a rather nice G&L 16" Universal
shaper for a project he needs it to run. He bought it for $200.
Unfortunately..neither of us knew that it had been left outside FULL
of water for some years......its become a learning experience for both
of us. The machine is mint..very low time..except in the places where
its rusted together.
Sigh.

I have a nice photo of an ancient one that was converted to DROs, in
a brochure I wrote for Mitutotyo many years ago. I should scan it
and put it online somewhere. The old clunker with modern readouts is
a bit of a jolt.

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The applications have diminished as US manufacturing has evolved into
different markets.

VTLs used to have a pretty big market in power transmission and, to a
lesser extent, in power generation. The big-time power transmission
applications were centered around rolling mills, crushing mills, and
the like -- gear blanks, bushings, and so on. There is replacement
business there but there isn't a lot of growth.

That's been true of turning machines in general. They used to dominate
machine tool production; milling was a secondary concern. Once again,
it was about power transmission in the earlier days of
industrialization -- shafts and axles, pulleys, gear blanks, and
bearings of various types. Milling was considered to be a roughing
operation; turning was the precision operation.

I have a nice photo of an ancient one that was converted to DROs, in
a brochure I wrote for Mitutotyo many years ago. I should scan it
and put it online somewhere. The old clunker with modern readouts is
a bit of a jolt.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-01-19, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 15:11:19 -0600, Ignoramus15788
I could not sell a great looking Bullard VTL with DROs two glass
scales, just last Christmas season. It will be scrapped next week.

You have to find the right buyer at the right time. I was running a
48" Bullard last week while my buddy was running the 10' Richardson
beside me.,

You were running them, not buying them.

And we are stripping and cleaning up a rather nice G&L 16" Universal
shaper for a project he needs it to run. He bought it for $200.
Unfortunately..neither of us knew that it had been left outside FULL
of water for some years......its become a learning experience for both
of us. The machine is mint..very low time..except in the places where
its rusted together.
Sigh.

What is the weight?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 22:10:27 -0600, Ignoramus15788

On 2015-01-19, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 15:11:19 -0600, Ignoramus15788
I could not sell a great looking Bullard VTL with DROs two glass
scales, just last Christmas season. It will be scrapped next week.

You have to find the right buyer at the right time. I was running a
48" Bullard last week while my buddy was running the 10' Richardson
beside me.,

You were running them, not buying them.

Who do you think sold him the 48" one some 15 yrs ago?

And we are stripping and cleaning up a rather nice G&L 16" Universal
shaper for a project he needs it to run. He bought it for $200.
Unfortunately..neither of us knew that it had been left outside FULL
of water for some years......its become a learning experience for both
of us. The machine is mint..very low time..except in the places where
its rusted together.
Sigh.

What is the weight?

About 3800 lbs

Very similar to this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbLUzXuSMrk

But no power downfeed. Shrug

I found a 36" Gemco shaper for a shop locally 4 yrs ago, and they use
it daily.

There ARE places where shapers are supreme. Try cutting a ID keyway
with a Bridgeport on a 36" flywheel. Try cutting that 36" fly wheel
ON a Bridgeport...so VTLs have their place as well.

In fact..find a CNC mill you can cut a 36" flywheel on. Shrug Oh
they are out there...but can you justify buying one for a 36"
flywheel?

VTLs and shapers still have a place in industry..very much so.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke