Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chilly evening ...

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 19:25:36 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Jan 2015 17:43:52 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Jan 2015 16:20:40 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

amdx fired this volley in news:m8m1cv$k0d$1@dont-
email.me:

We hit 22*F in Panama City Fl.

My home is east, northern, central florida, near Palm Coast.

It got down to 35 there, but I'm up in Radford VA (Southwestern VA, just
below the Blue Ridge) doing a new machine installation at the Army
Ammunition plant.

They predicted 5F this a.m. It got down to 1. It got all the way UP to
22 today, and is expected back down to 10-12 tonight, but not nearly so
bad as this a.m., because the wind has settled down since the front went
through.

We had 39F fog for most of the day. It got up to 43, but is now back
down to 39 again, and it's still foggy. Medium driveable fog, not pea
soup thick London fog, thankfully.

Some shiny -metal- came to me from China today. Ten of those knotting
tools. They're mighty nice. Tumbled edges, laser etched Xtools logo,
and just 83 cents apiece, delivered. I may get more to keep around.
http://tinyurl.com/ldl8fh7 (got their last 7)

Will they take man weight? Or are they too small?

Oh, they're thick enough to hold a man, but I would't climb a mountain
with one. I'd want a nice 30kN carabiner for that. Let's see,
they're 2" x 1.5" x 0.076" (shy of 2mm) steel, so they're plenty
strong. They'll work great for tiedowns for tents, tarps on trucks,
etc. Tie to the end of a cord, wrap that around a stake, and pop the
line through the hole around the extra nub and it stays TIGHT! No
slippage. I tied some 550 cord to one and it held my -bouncing- 210#
without trouble or slip. Amazingly great idea, pops loose in 1 second.

The $25 21W LED surface light came today and I put the fixture up on
my bedroom ceiling. It's brighter than 4x 60w bulbs, and much whiter.
It's the most money I've spent on an LED light yet, but it should last
my lifetime. (although one of the $2.49 15w LED spots already died
overnight) The rest are passing burn test with flying colors (white.)

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 19:30:39 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 19:40:14 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

That's my HF Run day. I have
to pick up some late Christmas presents for my niece and their
magnesium fire starters are on sale for $2.79. Time to stock up on
those and a few other things.

Early in 2014, I bought one of these to test

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-handl...-/160782940666

Its worked so well, I bought another 8 of them for family and friends.

I broke a straight FC rod like this in a store testing it once. NOT
impressed. I hope yours last better.

Works VERY well

Huge hot spark from these.

Ditto these http://tinyurl.com/6m2j54x , plus the mag backer keeps the
brittle FC from breaking. I keep a 6" pair of needlenosed ViseGrips
in my EDC and can use the included piece of hacksaw blade to cut
kindling when I'm not using it to strike a spark.

Now that I have a stockpile of petroleum-jellied cotton balls sealed
in straw sections, I'm covered. One little piece of that, a scrape of
mag, and a spark from the FC rod and you have a fire, period.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZJOrDqmUVI Except for the inept
insertion and the lack of serious jelly on the cotton, this is the way
to do it. Pull a small piece out of the tube for each fire, add it to
the requisite kindling, and a single tube will last for a week + of
easy-to-start fires.

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

That's my HF Run day. I have
to pick up some late Christmas presents for my niece and their
magnesium fire starters are on sale for $2.79. Time to stock up on
those and a few other things.

Early in 2014, I bought one of these to test

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-handl...-/160782940666

Its worked so well, I bought another 8 of them for family and friends.

I broke a straight FC rod like this in a store testing it once. NOT
impressed. I hope yours last better.

So far so good. These are about 5/16 in diameter. I dont drop test
them from heights..but tucked away in the GOD bags..works fine.

Works VERY well

Huge hot spark from these.

Ditto these http://tinyurl.com/6m2j54x , plus the mag backer keeps the
brittle FC from breaking. I keep a 6" pair of needlenosed ViseGrips
in my EDC and can use the included piece of hacksaw blade to cut
kindling when I'm not using it to strike a spark.

Now that I have a stockpile of petroleum-jellied cotton balls sealed
in straw sections, I'm covered. One little piece of that, a scrape of
mag, and a spark from the FC rod and you have a fire, period.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZJOrDqmUVI Except for the inept
insertion and the lack of serious jelly on the cotton, this is the way
to do it. Pull a small piece out of the tube for each fire, add it to
the requisite kindling, and a single tube will last for a week + of
easy-to-start fires.

Ayup. Got a few 35mm film "cans" in my GOD bags filled with em.

PJ O'Rourke