Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default renewing surface of pen

Metalworking group users,

I would be thankful if you could try to answer my question.

Several days ago I sanded a metal pen because the color is always coming off it. I want to keep the current natural metal surface, but there is a problem -- the surface is full of metal "powder" even after cleaning, and the surface very soon became darker -- maybe the irregular surface of the pen that was formed by sanding collects a lot of dirt.

What can I do to solve this? To keep a fixed, not-powdery surface which is not yellowed so quickly? Is it some kind of burnishing or what? And where do I find the tools for this?

Happy 2015!
Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Metalworking group users,

I would be thankful if you could try to answer my question.

Several days ago I sanded a metal pen because the color is always coming
off it. I want to keep the current natural metal surface, but there is a
problem -- the surface is full of metal "powder" even after cleaning, and
the surface very soon became darker -- maybe the irregular surface of the
pen that was formed by sanding collects a lot of dirt.

What can I do to solve this? To keep a fixed, not-powdery surface which is
not yellowed so quickly? Is it some kind of burnishing or what? And where
do I find the tools for this?

Happy 2015!
Dan

An alternative to keeping the natural color might be instead to powder coat
it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 09:45:02 -0800, dyaniv2 wrote:

Metalworking group users,

I would be thankful if you could try to answer my question.

Several days ago I sanded a metal pen because the color is always coming
off it. I want to keep the current natural metal surface, but there is a
problem -- the surface is full of metal "powder" even after cleaning,
and the surface very soon became darker -- maybe the irregular surface
of the pen that was formed by sanding collects a lot of dirt.

What can I do to solve this? To keep a fixed, not-powdery surface which
is not yellowed so quickly? Is it some kind of burnishing or what? And
where do I find the tools for this?

Happy 2015!
Dan

Pen or pin? Is this something like a fancy ball point pen with a metal
body, or a metal quill, or what?

If you're just trying to refinish a metal-bodied writing implement, then
I suggest that you sand it down again until you like it (long strokes
down the length of the pen should give a nice visual effect), wipe it
down with mild solvent, like 99% isopropyl alcohol (which you should be
able to get at the drug store in most English-speaking countries), then
paint it with clear lacquer ("Deft", in the US, is a good rattle-can
lacquer, you can get it at Home Depot). The lacquer will keep the metal
from corroding or getting dirty.

Be careful that it's just not some cheap metal-plated plastic thing -- if
it is, then chances are good that it won't dissolve in the alcohol, but
will be attacked by the solvents in the lacquer.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, January 2, 2015 9:45:04 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Metalworking group users,

I would be thankful if you could try to answer my question.

Several days ago I sanded a metal pen because the color is always coming off it. I want to keep the current natural metal surface, but there is a problem -- the surface is full of metal "powder" ...

Heck of a question you've got there! One needs to know more than 'metal' to
start; 'natural metal surface' presumably means metal without any
patina? Most folk find some kind of surface finish appealing, and the easiest
finishes to maintain are those that occur naturally with age (and can be created
with various treatments).

Paint, polish, bluing, and purple hue on shakudo are very different, and any of those
could be your best answer.

Renewing driveway GB UK diy 6 November 12th 14 08:16 AM
Renewing old Cedar Closit Bruce K. Home Repair 2 March 24th 11 04:33 PM
Renewing Rads The Medway Handyman UK diy 15 December 16th 07 01:28 PM
Renewing Home Warranty? User Home Repair 16 March 14th 05 01:33 AM
Need suggestions for renewing old oak floor Mac Cool Home Repair 21 January 15th 05 02:09 PM