Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Renewing Rads

I'm getting my CORGI mate to install a new boiler after Xmas. He suggested
that to save a few quid I could drain the system & add a cleaner, then drain
& remove the rads & flush them out with a hose.

It occurs to me that if I going to do that I might just as well change all
the rads anyway. We have 5 double 1300 x 600 & 3 single 600 x 600 rads
which must be 30 years old.

Looking at the Screwfix book I could replace the lot for under £400 inc
TRV's.

Are the Screwfix rads OK?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Looking at the Screwfix book I could replace the lot for under £400 inc
TRV's.

Are the Screwfix rads OK?

I fitted one a few weeks ago, 600x600 iirc at £14.99.
Looked fine to me.
My local plumbers merchants couldnt even get near that price, they said
they had to pay £20 for the same size, and retail it at £28+vat.

I'll be getting one of the towel radiators from them soon too - I havent
found them any cheaper locally.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have only once ordered a radiator from screwfix, unfortunatly it was
damaged on arrival, as was its replacement. It was a Baisi radiator
which i eventually sourced from B &Q for £5 less than at screwfix.
Screwfix were very good about replacing the damaged radiators, I
actually think it was the carrier that was damaging them. It may be
worth waiting until B&Q have a sale, I believe our local store
recently had 20%off all radiators. The Baisi radiators appear well
made and have covers on the top and sides. I may be wrong but I
believe they are also British made

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:06:06 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I'm getting my CORGI mate to install a new boiler after Xmas. He
suggested that to save a few quid I could drain the system & add a
cleaner, then drain & remove the rads & flush them out with a hose.

It occurs to me that if I going to do that I might just as well change all
the rads anyway. We have 5 double 1300 x 600 & 3 single 600 x 600 rads
which must be 30 years old.

Looking at the Screwfix book I could replace the lot for under £400 inc
TRV's.

Are the Screwfix rads OK?

==================================
Even if you replace the radiators it would still be worth giving the
system a thorough preliminary clean with an aggressive cleaner to scour
the pipework.

I'v had a couple of Screwfix radiators for a few years - they work well
and look very solid.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I'm getting my CORGI mate to install a new boiler after Xmas. He
suggested that to save a few quid I could drain the system & add a
cleaner, then drain & remove the rads & flush them out with a hose.

It occurs to me that if I going to do that I might just as well
change all the rads anyway. We have 5 double 1300 x 600 & 3 single
600 x 600 rads which must be 30 years old.

Looking at the Screwfix book I could replace the lot for under £400
inc TRV's.

Are the Screwfix rads OK?

The SF rads are fine as long as you don't want any that are more than 600
tall - 'cos that's the tallest they do.

If you *are* replacing them, it would be make sense to (re-)do the heat loss
calculations and select an appropriate size of radiator for each room. They
may turn out to be considerably smaller than the existing rads - both
because the house is much better insulated than it was 30 years ago, and
also because all the new rads will have fins whereas the old ones probably
don't. Having said that, it's a good idea to make sure that the rads will
still be ok if you fit a new (condensing) boiler with lower flow
temperature - causing the output of each rad to be less than it would be at
a higher temperature.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:
[...]

Thanks for both tips.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Looking at the Screwfix book I could replace the lot for under £400 inc
TRV's.

Are the Screwfix rads OK?

I have used them and they seem fine - same design as stelrad, and come
with the side and top covers in the price.

I would only recommend ordering double panel ones though. The couriers
are far too likely to bend up the decor panels on the single panel ones.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...
Cicero wrote:
[...]

10% day on Wednesday @ B&Q if you are an OAP. Any elderly relatives /
friends?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

diy-newby wrote:

10% day on Wednesday @ B&Q if you are an OAP.

Over 60.

Any elderly relatives / friends?

This is uk.d-i-y - do your own growing old!

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

Bob Minchin wrote:
wrote:
I have only once ordered a radiator from screwfix, unfortunatly it
was damaged on arrival, as was its replacement. It was a Baisi
radiator which i eventually sourced from B &Q for £5 less than at
screwfix. Screwfix were very good about replacing the damaged
radiators, I actually think it was the carrier that was damaging
them. It may be worth waiting until B&Q have a sale, I believe our
local store recently had 20%off all radiators. The Baisi radiators
appear well made and have covers on the top and sides. I may be
wrong but I believe they are also British made

I've also heard of damage in transit to Screwfix rads. It may be worth
arranging to collect them from one of their trade counters. At least
you can inspect them before collecting them - I presume they stock
rads?

Probably not. The manager of our new Screwfix depot used to be the

manager
of our local Tesco Express so I know him on 'nodding' terms.

Apparently they manage to carry a huge range of items in a small unit by
only stocking physically small items. Screws & plugs OK, rads & doors
unlikely.

That must depend on which trade counter you use.
I ordered six standard rads, all different sizes but including a couple of
monster double-panel ones, from Screwfix in Crawley last year and they were
all in stock. The towel rail and 'designer' rad I wanted had to be ordered
mail-order to get the discount they were offering - it was worth it though,
they arrived OK and I got £70 off a £250 order.

Screwfix have always been very good at replacing damaged/missing/mis-ordered
goods, whether mail order or collect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:06:06 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I'm getting my CORGI mate to install a new boiler after Xmas. He
suggested that to save a few quid I could drain the system & add a
cleaner, then drain & remove the rads & flush them out with a hose.

It occurs to me that if I going to do that I might just as well change
all the rads anyway. We have 5 double 1300 x 600 & 3 single 600 x 600
rads which must be 30 years old.

Looking at the Screwfix book I could replace the lot for under £400 inc
TRV's.

Are the Screwfix rads OK?

Yes. There are a whole raft of building materials which comply with
BS, EN, BBA standards and their ilk. IMHO, such products can safely be
bought on price as the minimum standard is defined. Of course you have to
watch out for fraudulent claims of compliance but on products made in the
EC that would be unlikely.

Of course the radiators are absolutely 'ordinary'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:
[...]

Thanks Ed.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That must depend on which trade counter you use.

Dave I picked up a new rad from Screwfix in Gillingham yesterday and
it was in stock, although the cheap trvs weren't.
The finish of the rad seems fine, it certainly won't need painting.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Decker wrote:
That must depend on which trade counter you use.

Dave I picked up a new rad from Screwfix in Gillingham yesterday and
it was in stock, although the cheap trvs weren't.
The finish of the rad seems fine, it certainly won't need painting.

Cheers Tim. Good having that Screwfix depot innit?

Whens the MMS Xmas party?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk