Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Renewing driveway

Our drive was done many years ago. It is concrete with an embossed
surface that may have been coloured at one time. It's all weathered in
quite nicely. HOWEVER, what I really want is grass or some other plants
we can drive on. Is this possible? Presumably, you need something to
take the car's weight whilst the grass grows between the gaps?

Am I dreaming of something that does not exist or is very high maintenance?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
Our drive was done many years ago. It is concrete with an embossed surface
that may have been coloured at one time. It's all weathered in quite
nicely. HOWEVER, what I really want is grass or some other plants we can
drive on. Is this possible? Presumably, you need something to take the
car's weight whilst the grass grows between the gaps?

Am I dreaming of something that does not exist or is very high
maintenance?

It exists.
Hollow blocks that fit together and are then filled with soil.

grass does grow and you can drive on it, but most of the year it looks
hideous as it seems to look like mud between the blocks, especially where
the wheels regularly drive over it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
Our drive was done many years ago. It is concrete with an embossed surface
that may have been coloured at one time. It's all weathered in quite
nicely. HOWEVER, what I really want is grass or some other plants we can
drive on. Is this possible? Presumably, you need something to take the
car's weight whilst the grass grows between the gaps?

Am I dreaming of something that does not exist or is very high
maintenance?

http://pavingexpert.com/grasspav.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/14 17:40, GB wrote:
Our drive was done many years ago. It is concrete with an embossed
surface that may have been coloured at one time. It's all weathered in
quite nicely. HOWEVER, what I really want is grass or some other plants
we can drive on. Is this possible? Presumably, you need something to
take the car's weight whilst the grass grows between the gaps?

Am I dreaming of something that does not exist or is very high maintenance?

Stuff to google for:

Plastic grass grids

Grass grids

And another option is railway ballast whacked down with an inch of soil
on top. Probably be best with a micro clover or a grass that tolerates
drought. It might be a little muddy in the wet but the mud will be
limited and the car will not slip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 11/11/2014 17:52, Tim Watts wrote:
On 11/11/14 17:40, GB wrote:
Our drive was done many years ago. It is concrete with an embossed
surface that may have been coloured at one time. It's all weathered in
quite nicely. HOWEVER, what I really want is grass or some other plants
we can drive on. Is this possible? Presumably, you need something to
take the car's weight whilst the grass grows between the gaps?

Am I dreaming of something that does not exist or is very high
maintenance?

Stuff to google for:

Plastic grass grids

Grass grids

And another option is railway ballast whacked down with an inch of soil
on top. Probably be best with a micro clover or a grass that tolerates
drought. It might be a little muddy in the wet but the mud will be
limited and the car will not slip.

There's a house a little way from here that has the plastic grid. It
just looks dreadful - mud where the car drives in and out. The grass
just can't take being driven over. I did vaguely wonder whether they put
too much soil into the grid, so the grass is too near the top of it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/14 17:40, GB wrote:
[...]

Perhaps this is a job your friendly local pikeys can assist you with? If
nothing else, they are *extremely* quick in every respect. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/14 17:40, GB wrote:
[...]

If the driveway is narrow, you have to drive on the same place all the time.
Wider driveways, you can vary it a bit and there is less of a problem.