Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Molasses water

I'm pretty sure it here that someone suggested a molasses water mix to put
inside my little tractor tires . The steel rims are already a little rusty ,
I don't want to rot 'em out . Any suggestions from anyone on a solution
strength ?

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

I'm pretty sure it here that someone suggested a molasses water mix to put
inside my little tractor tires . The steel rims are already a little rusty ,
I don't want to rot 'em out . Any suggestions from anyone on a solution
strength ?

Rust does not get better by itself, so start with cleaning and
repainting (or powdercoating) them. At which point new good quality
tubes and CaCl are a perfectly good option, so long as you fix them when
they start leaking. CaCl does not "cause rust" without a leak. No leaks,
no rust. However...

Molasses is probably going to be an expensive way to go. Evidently an
attempt to home-grow "RimGuard" (generically, sugar beet juice) which is
~11 lbs per gallon. Roughly 1.319 specific gravity. If you want RimGuard
try to find a local dealer, it's probably cheaper than buying molasses.
But local supplies/availability may vary. Corn syrup is about the same
weight, might be cheaper. For an expensive fill you could go with maple
syrup. White sugar should be terribly expensive but is often
considerably cheaper than molasses, due to some sort of market
silliness. In all cases if you can order (or have ordered for you)
"commercial kitchen quantities" it will usually be cheaper (50 lb sacks
or 5 gallon buckets) but don't miss the silly sale at the supermarket if
they mark sugar down to an absurdly low price. You'd need roughly 10 lbs
per gallon of fill (mix 2 sugar to 1 water on a volume basis, heat and
stir to dissolve, get roughly the same volume of syrup as your starting
volume of sugar)

Or you could plant some sugar beets and grow your own;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

I'm pretty sure it here that someone suggested a molasses water mix to put
inside my little tractor tires . The steel rims are already a little rusty ,
I don't want to rot 'em out . Any suggestions from anyone on a solution
strength ?

Using it for derusting, 1 molasses to 9 water.

For ballast, either straight molasses or molasses and a VERY small
amount of water, based on the density of the beet juice product
(molasses is about 12 lbs/gallon.) The de-rusting thread mentioned
getting molasses at the feed store (horses) which might be the cheapest
way to get it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

I'm pretty sure it here that someone suggested a molasses water
mix to put inside my little tractor tires . The steel rims are
already a little rusty , I don't want to rot 'em out . Any
suggestions from anyone on a solution strength ?

Using it for derusting, 1 molasses to 9 water.

For ballast, either straight molasses or molasses and a VERY small
amount of water, based on the density of the beet juice product
(molasses is about 12 lbs/gallon.) The de-rusting thread mentioned
getting molasses at the feed store (horses) which might be the
cheapest way to get it.

Looks like it's going to be a box of rocks then . Maybe a couple of bags of
sand on the fenders over the back wheels too . I have the stock to build a
box to hang on the back , just need to figure out how to keep the trailer
hitch accessible .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Using a saturated solution of molasses, white sugar, etc will certainly
get the most weight into the wheels. However, using only enough to get
the freezing point below your winter temperature will allow you to get
most of the benefit (the water's weight) with a much lower cost.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, December 26, 2014 7:39:55 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
I'm pretty sure it here that someone suggested a molasses water mix to put
inside my little tractor tires . The steel rims are already a little rusty ,
I don't want to rot 'em out . Any suggestions from anyone on a solution
strength ?

How about a solution of water and comet bathroom cleaner (the green powder in the green can) ?

-- http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/a...8621317e6ada87