Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Running a welding BUSINESS from a garage???

On 2014-12-18, dpb wrote:
On 12/17/2014 8:20 PM, Ignoramus11878 wrote:
NOTE: This is **NOT** about me!

I have a friend, who is 50 years old, all around very handy guy,
knows how to MIG weld, generally decent at fabrication, small engine
repair etc. His English, I would say is B-. He is energetic.

He has a dream, to have a "welding business" that he would operate
from his garage. To have people stop by with their welding needs and
to pay him live money for this kind of work.

He wants to learn learn to do stainless and aluminum TIG welding.
Right now he knows only MIG and stick, mostly MIG.

His funds, shall I say are LIMITED.

I am just wondering what do you think about the prospects for that
business idea. Maybe you are, were or know someone with that sort of
business plan and know how it worked out.

There are lots of small one-man welding shops around here, but I know of
none working strictly from a residence in town (and this is _small_
town, not city).

As someone else said, the permitting and neighbors are likely an issue
unless is an ethnic neighborhood without much in the way of concern by
all for the niceties of such things in which case I'd guess the
likelihood of other folks wanting to stop by might be limited.

As another said, it would be far more likely imo for such a model to
work in a more rural area and/or where he can go on-site.

I'd suggest perhaps he look into local community tech school and see
about finishing up a welding program so can get a certification and go
to work as a welder somewhere.

--

Right. Amount of customers is limited unless you can go on-site.