Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New Measurements for Stainless on eBay

I was looking at steel carabiners when I found this rather interesting
set of measurements.

Description
Material : Stainless steel - High grade
Dimensions: 1 4.5/8 x 7/8 inch (540mm. x 22mm.)
Stock : 1.5/8 inch (4mm.)
Weight: 0.02lb (0.01Kg.)
Features: Heavy duty , Corrosion resistance
Working load: 3KN (0.3 Tons)

One and 4.5 eighths is interesting enough, but that equals 540mm in
their eyes. What a hoot!

http://tinyurl.com/nv8ytuc

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
I was looking at steel carabiners when I found this rather
interesting
set of measurements.

Description
Material : Stainless steel - High grade
Dimensions: 1 4.5/8 x 7/8 inch (540mm. x 22mm.)
Stock : 1.5/8 inch (4mm.)
Weight: 0.02lb (0.01Kg.)
Features: Heavy duty , Corrosion resistance
Working load: 3KN (0.3 Tons)

One and 4.5 eighths is interesting enough, but that equals 540mm in
their eyes. What a hoot!

http://tinyurl.com/nv8ytuc

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
-- Louis L'Amour

You'd think they could get at least the metric measurements right.

I have a similar one here that measures 60.5mm x 29.5mm, made from 6mm
rod. It formerly held up a bird feeder.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 16:53:30 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I was looking at steel carabiners when I found this rather interesting
set of measurements.

Description
Material : Stainless steel - High grade
Dimensions: 1 4.5/8 x 7/8 inch (540mm. x 22mm.)
Stock : 1.5/8 inch (4mm.)
Weight: 0.02lb (0.01Kg.)
Features: Heavy duty , Corrosion resistance
Working load: 3KN (0.3 Tons)

One and 4.5 eighths is interesting enough, but that equals 540mm in
their eyes. What a hoot!

http://tinyurl.com/nv8ytuc

Thats boat stuff or light load stuff. You do know thats the wrong
kind to use, if you are climbing or supporting yourself on a tree or
rockface...right?

No locks. A fatal accident waiting to happen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-CARABI...-/271388258046

These are what I have/use

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-7-PET...-/351235827122

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Diamon...-/131359660191

Which reminds me....did I give you a WestFal climbing harness? I had
2..can only find one at the moment...and I have the near new one..the
other was NOS

Like this one but yellow in color IRRC
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WestFall-Pro...-/201218330576

Trying to figure out where the ******* went.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I was looking at steel carabiners when I found this rather interesting
set of measurements.

Description
Material : Stainless steel - High grade
Dimensions: 1 4.5/8 x 7/8 inch (540mm. x 22mm.)
Stock : 1.5/8 inch (4mm.)
Weight: 0.02lb (0.01Kg.)
Features: Heavy duty , Corrosion resistance
Working load: 3KN (0.3 Tons)

One and 4.5 eighths is interesting enough, but that equals 540mm in
their eyes. What a hoot!

http://tinyurl.com/nv8ytuc

Thats boat stuff or light load stuff. You do know thats the wrong
kind to use, if you are climbing or supporting yourself on a tree or
rockface...right?

No locks. A fatal accident waiting to happen.

Right. I've been looking at the 30kn stuff, though. These are little
steel jobbers which would be good for holding live snares to a tree,
hanging gear in the shop, combining BOB with sleeping roll, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-CARABI...-/271388258046

Beefy!

These are what I have/use

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-7-PET...-/351235827122

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Diamon...-/131359660191

I picked up a figure 8 last year, but those aren't bad prices for
Petzls. Climbing gear sure is gawdawful expensive.

Which reminds me....did I give you a WestFal climbing harness? I had
2..can only find one at the moment...and I have the near new one..the
other was NOS

No, you didn't, but it's not too late for Christmas.
I've seen lighter units for $45 on eBay, which is probably all I'd
need for emergency climbing/deasssing Dodge.

Like this one but yellow in color IRRC
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WestFall-Pro...-/201218330576

Trying to figure out where the ******* went.

Yeah, we sure didn't see it.

--
Believe nothing.
No matter where you read it,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 30/11/14 00:53, Larry Jaques wrote:
I was looking at steel carabiners when I found this rather interesting
set of measurements.

Description
Material : Stainless steel - High grade
Dimensions: 1 4.5/8 x 7/8 inch (540mm. x 22mm.)
Stock : 1.5/8 inch (4mm.)
Weight: 0.02lb (0.01Kg.)
Features: Heavy duty , Corrosion resistance
Working load: 3KN (0.3 Tons)

One and 4.5 eighths is interesting enough, but that equals 540mm in
their eyes. What a hoot!

http://tinyurl.com/nv8ytuc

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
-- Louis L'Amour

I think the metric world does have a problem with fractions as I
understand it but as I live in the UK and was brought up in the US so
I'm use to it. The other day I was looking for NPT dies and saw one
listed in China as 1.5" NPT and 11TPI. 1.5" NPT is 11.5TPI whereas
BSP/ISO pipe thread is 11TPI so I stayed well away.

I was amused some years back when a guy from the US was helping at a
local place here in the UK and measured up for some stainless steel
cladding, when it arrived most parts were 1/10th the length they should
have been because he had specified the dimensions in a mix of mm and cm
but hadn't puts the units on the list so all was assumed as mm, of
course he was only used to inches.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Billington" wrote in message
On 30/11/14 00:53, Larry Jaques wrote:

I was amused some years back when a guy from the US was helping at a
local place here in the UK and measured up for some stainless steel
cladding, when it arrived most parts were 1/10th the length they
should have been because he had specified the dimensions in a mix of
mm and cm but hadn't puts the units on the list so all was assumed
as mm, of course he was only used to inches.

The US customary system has the advantage of consistency compared to
the three metric ones, MKS, CGS and SI, that differ in the
(mis)placement of tiny punctuation marks whose meaning varies
internationally.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Having the cargo container is nice..but its so ****ing jammed with
Stuff that I cant find anything. I remember using it to secure myself
to the palm tree last spring when I trimmed the top of it at 50'
up...no idea what happened to it since then. Ive done some swapping
and trading since then..stroke..damnit.

Still have that Brunswick Admiral snooker table if you know anyone who
wants it. Made in the 1920s out of ebony..anyone with $5k can bring a
trailer and Ill load it with the forklift.

Its in the cargo container as well...sigh. Id love to see it go to a
good home. And out of my way...mumble mumble....

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Trying to figure out where the ******* went.

Yeah, we sure didn't see it.

Having the cargo container is nice..but its so ****ing jammed with
Stuff that I cant find anything.

Yeah, that's where the rusty POS cable snake bit my right bird finger.
That bastid hurt for nearly a month.

I remember using it to secure myself
to the palm tree last spring when I trimmed the top of it at 50'
up...no idea what happened to it since then. Ive done some swapping
and trading since then..stroke..damnit.

That truly sucks, but at least you're not all Alzy or nuttin'.
A minor amount of memory loss sure beats near total losses, wot?

Still have that Brunswick Admiral snooker table if you know anyone who
wants it. Made in the 1920s out of ebony..anyone with $5k can bring a
trailer and Ill load it with the forklift.

That's one hefty SOB, sir.

Its in the cargo container as well...sigh. Id love to see it go to a
good home. And out of my way...mumble mumble....

Grok that.

I left that soldering gun in that bucket, too, didn't I? My old one
finally died the day I put in those LED backup lamps. I had to rely
on the old stained glass iron, a 65W jobber, which worked well but
took a month to heat. I liked the 3W LEDs so well I ordered another
ten 10W LEDs in the same style. With those added, I'll be able to see
your house from here when I back up. The trip to the Grange on
Black Friday convinced me to add even more lighting. I couldn't see
squat in the rain, even with the added 6W of LEDs. The new 10-watters
are only 24mm, so they'll fit right next to the others real nicely.

--
Believe nothing.
No matter where you read it,
Or who said it,
Even if I have said it,
Unless it agrees with your own reason
And your own common sense.
-- Buddha
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 15:15:39 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:
I left that soldering gun in that bucket, too, didn't I? My old one
finally died the day I put in those LED backup lamps. I had to rely
on the old stained glass iron, a 65W jobber, which worked well but
took a month to heat. I liked the 3W LEDs so well I ordered another
ten 10W LEDs in the same style. With those added, I'll be able to see
your house from here when I back up. The trip to the Grange on
Black Friday convinced me to add even more lighting. I couldn't see
squat in the rain, even with the added 6W of LEDs. The new 10-watters
are only 24mm, so they'll fit right next to the others real nicely.

Oh, I forgot the price for ten 9w (not 10w) LEDs: $13.75 delivered.
And $4.25 for six more of the 3w LEDs, delivered.
At this price, who cares if they take a month from China?
(U.S. dealers have the very same Chiwan-made models for $13.99 ea.)

--
Believe nothing.
No matter where you read it,
Or who said it,
Even if I have said it,
Unless it agrees with your own reason
And your own common sense.
-- Buddha
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Is it? No idea. The 5 gallon bucket is still standing on the welding
table. Ive not worked my way over to it yet..another week or 2. Ill
dump it out and see whats at the bottom...might need the forklift to
pick it up though..its way the **** past "full". That box of silicon
bronze brazing rod dont help much either....must be 15 lbs of bronze
in there (Grin)

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Damnit, why'd we both miss that on the last walkthru? I would have
tried some of that bronze stick on a project already. sigh
The 8 blacksmith hammers weighed a bit, too.

--
Believe nothing.
No matter where you read it,
Or who said it,
Even if I have said it,
Unless it agrees with your own reason
And your own common sense.
-- Buddha
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Hence my comment about the forklitt. We managed to fill that bucket up
pretty ****ing good.

How did we miss it? Because you got in a rush...and I had a stroke a
few years ago. Phases of the moon, sunspots..who the hell knows.

**** happens

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yessirree. g

How did we miss it? Because you got in a rush...and I had a stroke a
few years ago. Phases of the moon, sunspots..who the hell knows.

I got in a rush because I could barely stand up. I hate getting sick,
and _really_ hated not having the energy to go out to the range with
you to get some shooting time in.

**** happens

Ayup.

measurements: sal[_2_] Woodworking 19 March 14th 12 07:11 PM
Ebay Seller stanp2323 Worst Ebay Experience EVER be careful Bond[_2_] Woodworking 0 July 23rd 07 11:29 PM
I need some lathe measurements Bill Rubenstein Woodturning 21 August 18th 06 02:26 PM
Thermocouple measurements. T i m UK diy 16 September 8th 05 01:10 PM
Carpet measurements barry martin Home Repair 2 October 18th 04 05:49 AM