Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default I need some lathe measurements

All:

I need some measurements from various lathes -- if you could report:

Make and model of your lathe

Spindle size and thread pitch (i.e. 1 1/4 x 8)

Dimensions 1 and 2 from the photo --
http://stubbylatheusa.com/images/spindle_question.jpg

it would be most helpful. The photo is of a much used Stubby so I have
that information.

Thanks in advance to those responding.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I've had several replies and thank the folks. But, I guess that I
didn't make myself clear --

What I need most are the dimensions which don't show up in any lists of
machines and spindles -- the two which I've marked in the photo:
http://www.stubbylatheusa.com/images...e_question.jpg.

Bill

Bill Rubenstein wrote:
All:

I need some measurements from various lathes -- if you could report:

Make and model of your lathe

Spindle size and thread pitch (i.e. 1 1/4 x 8)

Dimensions 1 and 2 from the photo --
http://stubbylatheusa.com/images/spindle_question.jpg

it would be most helpful. The photo is of a much used Stubby so I have
that information.

Thanks in advance to those responding.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
. com...
All:

I need some measurements from various lathes -- if you could report:

Make and model of your lathe

Spindle size and thread pitch (i.e. 1 1/4 x 8)

Dimensions 1 and 2 from the photo --
http://stubbylatheusa.com/images/spindle_question.jpg

it would be most helpful. The photo is of a much used Stubby so I have
that information.

Thanks in advance to those responding.

Bill

What are you making Bill? Thanks in advance for responding.....:-)

--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Something which I think the market needs. Stubby owners (or non-owners
too) who are members of the Stubby Users' Group can probably guess but
I'd rather not say for now.

Bill

M.J. wrote:
"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
. com...
All:

I need some measurements from various lathes -- if you could report:

Make and model of your lathe

Spindle size and thread pitch (i.e. 1 1/4 x 8)

Dimensions 1 and 2 from the photo --
http://stubbylatheusa.com/images/spindle_question.jpg

it would be most helpful. The photo is of a much used Stubby so I have
that information.

Thanks in advance to those responding.

Bill

What are you making Bill? Thanks in advance for responding.....:-)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Bill Rubenstein wrote:

I've had several replies and thank the folks. But, I guess that I
didn't make myself clear --

What I need most are the dimensions which don't show up in any lists of
machines and spindles -- the two which I've marked in the photo:
http://www.stubbylatheusa.com/images...e_question.jpg.

which models have you gotten so far?

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Powermatic 3520a:
1 1/4 x 8
dimension #1: 1.454"
dimension #2: 0.165"
There is also a recess cut to below the threads (for faceplate setscrews) from the left of
the dimension 2 marks to the right end of the threads that is 0.286".

Matt Heffron

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
. com...
All:

I need some measurements from various lathes -- if you could report:

Make and model of your lathe

Spindle size and thread pitch (i.e. 1 1/4 x 8)

Dimensions 1 and 2 from the photo --
http://stubbylatheusa.com/images/spindle_question.jpg

it would be most helpful. The photo is of a much used Stubby so I have
that information.

Thanks in advance to those responding.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks. So the total spindle length from the place where a faceplate
would snug up to to the end of the threads is 1.454 + .286? I hadn't
thought about the setscrew stuff.

Bill

Matt Heffron wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tek

Teknatool DVR

1.25 X 8

1- 1.195
2- 0.125
3- 0.365 Last thread to shoulder

Walt A

Bill Rubenstein wrote:
All:

I need some measurements from various lathes -- if you could report:

Make and model of your lathe

Spindle size and thread pitch (i.e. 1 1/4 x 8)

Dimensions 1 and 2 from the photo --
http://stubbylatheusa.com/images/spindle_question.jpg

it would be most helpful. The photo is of a much used Stubby so I have
that information.

Thanks in advance to those responding.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I understand your position -- but...

If I say what I'm developing, then some other manufacturer has a head
start and I suddenly have competition to deal with.

There are a number of manufacturers who have no interest in fair play --
for instance...

Jet has just introduced a slow speed grinder which looks a lot like the
Tormec.

Jet has a live center which looks a whole lot like the Oneway.

Jet isn't the only one but they certainly may be the champions in this area.

So, I'd rather not have the information from your lathe than give away
what I'm working on. Does that make sense to you?

Bill

M.J. wrote:
Ya I'm like that too sometimes. Let me know if you can guess my lathe's
measurements because I'd rather not tell you for now..... :^)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 02:53:26 GMT, Bill Rubenstein
wrote:

All:

I need some measurements from various lathes -- if you could report:

Make and model of your lathe

Delta 12" gap-bed lathe, model #46-546
Spindle - 1" x 8 tpi
Dimension 1 - 13/16"
Dimension 2 - none (threaded all the way to spindle nut)

Delta Midi lathe. model #46-250
Spindle - 1" x 8 tpi
Dimension 1 - 1"
Dimension 2 - 3/16"

Spindle size and thread pitch (i.e. 1 1/4 x 8)

Dimensions 1 and 2 from the photo --
http://stubbylatheusa.com/images/spindle_question.jpg

it would be most helpful. The photo is of a much used Stubby so I have
that information.

Thanks in advance to those responding.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default I need some lathe measurements (an OT response)

Hi Bill, You are much respected here as a valued contributor and as an
ethical and sucessful businessman. Your request is perfectly
reasonable, but to keep your invention secret why would you ask the
questions on a widespread ng? The internet being what it is, I doubt
that you will rely on the answers anyway (no slam at respondents
intended). I know you don't need a vanity product so it is likely of
enough potential to meet the profit plans of larger manufacturers. If
not it would seem to be another hunting license for quick copying by mom
& pops. I suppose the secrecy could be a legitimate way to generate
interest, but it is obvious that I know very little re this facet of our
craft.

Bill, many of us have ideas for a product related to woodturning with
high hopes for a sucessful whizbang, but most of us are naive and lack
your proven expertise. Without revealing your product and time allowing,
would you consider offering some guidance (or a musing 'G') re the
rewards, pitfalls and necessaries of attempting to develop and/or market
an innovative woodturning product? Others _with experience_ might want
to chip in unless derision masked by comedy drives them away.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Developing products for the woodturning community

Hm.... Interesting...

About 2 years ago I presented a really good idea to a manufacturer and
thought we had a deal. To make a long story short, I got ripped off --
they don't think so but I do. Further, their implementation of my idea
was pretty poor. This time I'm going to do it myself. And this time
I've improved the idea some more.

Probably, none of the various items I'm working on right now is
patentable. Further, some of them (one in particular) is so simple to
make that one could make a reasonable likeness on a weekend with some
pretty crude tools. I have no objection to somebody doing that -- more
power to them.

But, I do have an objection to a company stealing the idea and trying to
make a profit.

Now, let's say that some company does steal one of my ideas. I'm hoping
that there are enough knowledgeable turners around that they will
recognize I developed it and buy from me rather than them. This
newsgroup is the perfect spot to let the world know what the product is
and that I developed it -- that is my intention.

So, my asking the question here had two purposes, really. One to get
the needed information and the second to let the turning world know that
I'm cooking up something and will post more information as soon as possible.

I think that we, as a group, should refuse to buy ripoff products --
especially when they are being sold for exactly the same price as the
copied product, as is the case for the Jet-Tormec -- whoops, it is
spelled with a 'k'. BTW, I am not a Tormek user, do not think it has
any place in the turning shop, but that's not the issue here.

Product development requires time and money. The best ideas come from
individuals and mom-and-pops, not giant companies. If individuals feel
that they have no chance to make a few dollars with a product because as
soon as it becomes successful they will be ripped off, they won't bother
trying to commercialize the idea. So, we all lose because lots of good
ideas never see the light of day.

Bill

Arch wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Woodfast MC908
1-1/4 X 8
Dim. 1 - 0.992
Dimi. 2 - 0 (There is no shoulder on the shaft before the spindle nut.)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Bill,

I intended to respond to your post when you first made it, but didn't
have time and then forgot. For what it is worth, here are the
dimensions for my lathes:

Nova DVR 3000, 1-1/4" x 8 tpi spindle. Dim. 1= 1-3/16". Dim. 2= 0.15"

Nova Mercury, 1" x 8 tpi spindle. Dim. 1= 15/16". Dim. 2 = 1/4"

Oneway 1018, 1" x 8 tpi spindle. Dim. 1= 1-1/4". Dim. 2 = 1/8"

Hope this helps.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

M.J. wrote:
Ya I'm like that too sometimes. Let me know if you can guess my lathe's
measurements because I'd rather not tell you for now..... :^)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Jet JML-1014 Mini Lathe
1 X 8
Dim #1 - 0.998
Dim #2 - 0.183

Bill, be aware that there is not shoulder (or step) on the shaft. The
two measurements I gave are the total shaft length, and the length of
the unthreaded portion.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom:

Thanks.

Can somebody get me the measurements on the 16" Jet? I believe that the
spindle is quite long on that machine.

Bill

Tom Weber wrote:
Jet JML-1014 Mini Lathe
1 X 8
Dim #1 - 0.998
Dim #2 - 0.183

Bill, be aware that there is not shoulder (or step) on the shaft. The
two measurements I gave are the total shaft length, and the length of
the unthreaded portion.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tim Tim is offline

Bill Rubenstein wrote:
Hm.... Interesting...

Product development requires time and money. The best ideas come from
individuals and mom-and-pops, not giant companies. If individuals feel
that they have no chance to make a few dollars with a product because as
soon as it becomes successful they will be ripped off, they won't bother
trying to commercialize the idea. So, we all lose because lots of good
ideas never see the light of day.

Bill,
This is exactly how I started my little business out of my garage
woodshop/metalshop. Just an idea for a new product that would meet my
needs better than what was out there. The time to market and the
expense to manufacture was eye opening, (plus all the work engineering,
CAD drawings, prototypes, re-engineering, getting quotes from machine
shops, anodizing or other finishes, securing small parts in bulk, and
little things you don't think of like bubble wrap, boxes, labels,
storage, website$$$,
ADVERTISING$$$$, PATENTS$$$$$$$!).
It is definately not easy. Then if you have no marketing skills or
don't know somebody in the "BIZ", where do you start? It's almost
impossible to sell from your own website/Ebay and make a living without
getting the word out in a national or international way. Now if you do
secure a mail order catalog or a distributor be prepared to give up
about 50% of list price so they can make a profit, but you still need
to make a profit too. SO... now your $5.00 machined part plus all the
above worked in turns out to retail for $50.00, (but you sell to
catalogs for $25.00, your cost with the little items, components,
boxes, labels, advertising etc. is $20.00!). Is $5.00 a piece profit
going to make it for you? Remember the smallest black and white add in
a wood magazine will run you about $500 an ad. You have to sell 100
widgets to just pay for one ad!
Very tough, and time consuming but do-able for the right guy or gal.
Not for everyone. Not to discourage you but there's alot ahead. It is
rewarding Knowing you have a product out there that may end up in a
museum of woodwrking tools 200 years from now or in a history book on
woodworking.
With all that said, GO FOR IT! It's an experience not many will have.
Tim
alisam.com
"A-LEE-SAM"

help with newly acquired lathe Jon Elson Metalworking 33 December 28th 05 05:15 PM
Rikon Lathe David Pugh Woodturning 2 October 29th 05 06:30 AM
House of tools lathe - comments Machineman Metalworking 24 July 11th 04 05:58 AM
My $20 lathe (well, sort of...) Patrick H. Corrigan Woodworking 4 August 29th 03 02:29 AM