Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The Case Against Academic Boycotts of Israel

http://fathomjournal.org/book-review...tts-of-israel/

"While some contributions - most notably one of Ilan Troen's two - highlight both synchronically and diachronically the abundance and diversity of boycotts of Israel and Jews invoked by Berman's characterisation, it is evident that the major thrust of virtually all presentations concentrate on the contemporary situation in American post-secondary education and thus on a decidedly left-wing version of this phenomenon. Indeed, as Cary Nelson correctly points out in his introduction, boycotting Israel as a solid manifestation of detesting its very existence has become arguably the single most potent marker of being of the left today. He quotes one of the global left's most cherished gurus, the Italian philosopher Gianni Vattimo, who states the obvious that, 'by now, anti-Zionism is synonymous with leftist world politics.' Even if one is explicitly and actively anti-racist and anti-sexist, opposed to oppression, favours economic equality, fights for workers rights, actively supports the LGBT community, advocates strict gun control, stands for ecological reforms; one will be at best a very suspect, indeed even an unwelcome, member of what constitutes today's left and being progressive without having decidedly and explicitly anti-Zionist views."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, November 7, 2014 9:53:27 PM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:

Even if one is explicitly and actively anti-racist and anti-sexist,
opposed to oppression, favours economic equality, fights for
workers rights, actively supports the LGBT community, advocates
strict gun control, stands for ecological reforms; one will be
at best a very suspect, indeed even an unwelcome, member of
what constitutes today's left and being progressive without
having decidedly and explicitly anti-Zionist views."

I can't see having ALL of those progressive leftist "Peace and Love" qualities AND be against a certain religion.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, November 8, 2014 7:48:17 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Friday, November 7, 2014 9:53:27 PM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:

Even if one is explicitly and actively anti-racist and anti-sexist,
opposed to oppression, favours economic equality, fights for
workers rights, actively supports the LGBT community, advocates
strict gun control, stands for ecological reforms; one will be
at best a very suspect, indeed even an unwelcome, member of
what constitutes today's left and being progressive without
having decidedly and explicitly anti-Zionist views."

I can't see having ALL of those progressive leftist "Peace and Love" qualities AND be against a certain religion.

The Democratic party has been hijacked by the "progressive" radical left.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, November 8, 2014 11:41:36 AM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:
On Saturday, November 8, 2014 7:48:17 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Friday, November 7, 2014 9:53:27 PM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:

Even if one is explicitly and actively anti-racist and anti-sexist,
opposed to oppression, favours economic equality, fights for
workers rights, actively supports the LGBT community, advocates
strict gun control, stands for ecological reforms; one will be
at best a very suspect, indeed even an unwelcome, member of
what constitutes today's left and being progressive without
having decidedly and explicitly anti-Zionist views."

I can't see having ALL of those progressive leftist "Peace and Love" qualities AND be against a certain religion.

The Democratic party has been hijacked by the "progressive" radical left.

Would it be better if other forces hijacked it instead? If so, who?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, November 7, 2014 9:53:27 PM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:
http://fathomjournal.org/book-review...tts-of-israel/

"While some contributions - most notably one of Ilan Troen's two -
highlight both synchronically and diachronically the abundance and
diversity of boycotts of Israel and Jews invoked by Berman's
characterisation, it is evident that the major thrust of virtually all
presentations concentrate on the contemporary situation in American

post-secondary education and thus on a decidedly left-wing
version of this phenomenon.

Notice that no particular leader in the American academic setting is actually accused of anti-Semitism.

If anti-semetic views were actually stated, then a particular person would be accused.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, November 8, 2014 11:41:36 AM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:
On Saturday, November 8, 2014 7:48:17 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Friday, November 7, 2014 9:53:27 PM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:

Even if one is explicitly and actively anti-racist and anti-sexist,
opposed to oppression, favours economic equality, fights for
workers rights, actively supports the LGBT community, advocates
strict gun control, stands for ecological reforms; one will be
at best a very suspect, indeed even an unwelcome, member of
what constitutes today's left and being progressive without
having decidedly and explicitly anti-Zionist views."

I can't see having ALL of those progressive leftist "Peace and Love" qualities AND be against a certain religion.

The Democratic party has been hijacked by the "progressive" radical left.

Democratically-run governments have given the reins to non-academic, far-right forces in the past and look what resulted.

No one wants to return to that, so democrats depend on the heavy and constant presence of the radical left
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, November 8, 2014 9:16:26 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Saturday, November 8, 2014 11:41:36 AM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:
On Saturday, November 8, 2014 7:48:17 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Friday, November 7, 2014 9:53:27 PM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:

Even if one is explicitly and actively anti-racist and anti-sexist,
opposed to oppression, favours economic equality, fights for
workers rights, actively supports the LGBT community, advocates
strict gun control, stands for ecological reforms; one will be
at best a very suspect, indeed even an unwelcome, member of
what constitutes today's left and being progressive without
having decidedly and explicitly anti-Zionist views."

I can't see having ALL of those progressive leftist "Peace and Love" qualities AND be against a certain religion.

The Democratic party has been hijacked by the "progressive" radical left.

Would it be better if other forces hijacked it instead? If so, who?

It would be better if the Democratic party returned to what they were under say Bill Clinton. The Democrats only have themselves to blame for losing the Senate.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, November 8, 2014 9:26:59 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Friday, November 7, 2014 9:53:27 PM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:
http://fathomjournal.org/book-review...tts-of-israel/

"While some contributions - most notably one of Ilan Troen's two -
highlight both synchronically and diachronically the abundance and
diversity of boycotts of Israel and Jews invoked by Berman's
characterisation, it is evident that the major thrust of virtually all
presentations concentrate on the contemporary situation in American

post-secondary education and thus on a decidedly left-wing
version of this phenomenon.

Notice that no particular leader in the American academic setting is actually accused of anti-Semitism.

If anti-semetic views were actually stated, then a particular person would be accused.

What I've notice is the hatred for Jews from the radical left. I've also noticed that unions are being pushed to hate Jews by the radical left:

http://www.transportworkers.org/about
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, November 8, 2014 3:47:43 PM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:
On Saturday, November 8, 2014 9:26:59 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Friday, November 7, 2014 9:53:27 PM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:
http://fathomjournal.org/book-review...tts-of-israel/

"While some contributions - most notably one of Ilan Troen's two -
highlight both synchronically and diachronically the abundance and
diversity of boycotts of Israel and Jews invoked by Berman's
characterisation, it is evident that the major thrust of virtually all
presentations concentrate on the contemporary situation in American

post-secondary education and thus on a decidedly left-wing
version of this phenomenon.

Notice that no particular leader in the American academic setting is actually accused of anti-Semitism.

If anti-semetic views were actually stated, then a particular person would be accused.

What I've notice is the hatred for Jews from the radical left.

I haven't notice the left hating anyone.

I've also noticed that unions are being pushed to hate Jews by
the radical left.

I have noticed political activists who feel limited in their finances to switch parties and claim that leftists are (all of a sudden) hate-mongers and bad and criminals, etc... yes.

(Perhaps being paid off by someone - perhaps not - I guess we'll never know))

http://www.transportworkers.org/about

This website is not as well known as the AFL-CIO's website.

(The AFL-CIO are more mainstream and have PhD's and people with Master's Degrees and Business Leaders who are more influential)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, November 8, 2014 3:43:26 PM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

"The last time Democrats had such a small House delegation, Herbert Hoover was president." -- Politico

When the right finally controlled almost everything everywhere back in the late 1920s and early 1930s they ruined almost every country. As a result, practically everyone in America, Europe and Asia) eventually lost their savings and jobs.

Wishing for the rightwing to get back into control is wishing for the worst possible events Everywhere.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, November 9, 2014 8:21:48 AM UTC-8, wrote:

I haven't notice the left hating anyone.

Many others have. I'll find more links and post them when I get a chance.

This website is not as well known as the AFL-CIO's website.

Jack Heyman is very well known and so are the exploits of ILWU Local 10

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, November 9, 2014 8:25:49 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

I don't wish that. I wish that "progressives" hijacking the Democratic party would be exiled. Majority of Jew hatred now comes from the radical left who claim to be "progressive" Democrats.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

FDoug Miller wrote:

Even at the worst of the Depression, the annual unemployment rate in*
the United States never exceeded 25% -- a long, long way from "practically
everyone ... lost*their jobs".*

A fourth of the country out of work "is not" considered practically? Why call it a depression then? Why can it the worst ec. period in the US?

It's worth noting, also, that six of the seven years with the highest annual unemployment*
rates during the depression (1933, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1938, and 1939) occurred during the*Roosevelt...*

It started under President Hoover. Why'd they call the slums "Hoovervilles"? Because the Liberal Media brainwashed them, like hate radio? Why'd they call rabbits "Hoover Hogs"?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jon_banquer wrote:

On Sunday, November 9, 2014 8:21:48 AM *wrote:*

I haven't notice the left hating anyone.*

Many others have. I'll find more links and post them when I get a chance.*

I define try want to see the names of any associated with the left who've done any of that. And what they've wrote or said.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

This video gives you an excellent idea of what radical left "progressive" Democrats are like. They're assholes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf2cCdgwgoM#t=48
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 13:25:54 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 20:29:34 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

wrote in news:7354addd-f5fb-4bed-a8d2-20e534198f93
:

FDoug Miller wrote:

Even at the worst of the Depression, the annual unemployment rate in*
the United States never exceeded 25% -- a long, long way from "practica
lly
everyone ... lost*their jobs".*

A fourth of the country out of work "is not" considered practically?

It's not anywhere close to "practically everyone", as you falsely claimed.

It's worth noting, also, that six of the seven years with the highest ann
ual unemployment*
rates during the depression (1933, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1938, and 1939) occu
rred during the*Roosevelt...*

It started under President Hoover.

And it got worse, much worse, under Roosevelt.

Stop trying to rewrite history. It doesn't work, and makes you look bad.

Tbe poor ******* trys everything in his power to make nothing the
fault of the Left...always he (and his fellow mental cases) try to
blame someone else.

Fortunately..there remain a few Honest Democrats who are not mentally
ill. Notice the article is from the University of California..Los
Angeles. A working mans school btw....

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/FD...epression-5409

FDR's policies prolonged Depression by 7 years, UCLA economists
calculate
Meg Sullivan | August 10, 2004

Two UCLA economists say they have figured out why the Great Depression
dragged on for almost 15 years, and they blame a suspect previously
thought to be beyond reproach: President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

After scrutinizing Roosevelt's record for four years, Harold L. Cole
and Lee E. Ohanian conclude in a new study that New Deal policies
signed into law 71 years ago thwarted economic recovery for seven long
years.

Speaking of poor, delusional *******s, here's another one for Gunner,
written by one of the two authors he quotes above -- Lee Ohanian --
that you might want to read.

You DO read these things you quote, don't you, Gunner? GGGG!!!

[abstract]

What - or Who - Started the Great Depression?
by Lee E. Ohanian

Herbert Hoover. I develop a theory of labor market failure for the
Depression based on Hoover's industrial labor program that provided
industry with protection from unions in return for keeping nominal
wages fixed. I find that the theory accounts for much of the depth of
the Depression and for the asymmetry of the depression across sectors.
The theory also can reconcile why deflation/low nominal spending
apparently had such large real effects during the 1930s, but not
during other periods of significant deflation.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w15258

One of the funnier things that goes on here is watching Gunner quote
books and authors he never read, and doesn't understand -- and which
often say the exact opposite of what he thought.

--
Ed Huntress