Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old lawn mower

I just pulled my "antique" lawn mower out of the attic shed where it
has resided since 1996 and fired it up again. It is a 1957 Canadian
Lawn King, manufactured by Clemmer Industries in Waterloo Ontario with
a Lauson V20G engine.
Perfect running condition. See it at http:\\snyder.on.ca\pages\Old
Engines\Lawn King Mower.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 02 Nov 2014 17:03:13 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Nov 2014 19:24:13 -0500, wrote:

I just pulled my "antique" lawn mower out of the attic shed where it
has resided since 1996 and fired it up again. It is a 1957 Canadian
Lawn King, manufactured by Clemmer Industries in Waterloo Ontario with
a Lauson V20G engine.
Perfect running condition. See it at http:\\snyder.on.ca\pages\Old
Engines\Lawn King Mower.htm

sigh Here's a working URL, clare.
http://snyder.on.ca/pages/Old%20Engi...ng%20Mower.htm

My great uncle Bill Peltier made a bunch of lawn mowers immediately
following WWII. We had one with a Lauson engine. This one used a
horizontal shaft engine with a twisted V-belt to a spindle. It was
pretty crude, flat deck, no chute, no guard in sight, pipe handle,
skinny little front wheels, larger back ones.

Every time that damned thing rusted out, Dad would rebuild it in a
heavier gauge. The last iteration was 11 ga., still with the same
skinny tires. Pushing that thing through wet Saint Augustine grass
was work.

Dad is approaching 95 (Dec 22), and still living at the old place. I
was looking around in the barn a few weeks back, and the old thing is
still there. Probably hasn't been used in 40 years. The Lauson is
long gone, B&S now.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That's cute! Do you suppose that was the original paint scheme? Cast
aluminum deck - that's nice. Single-lever control of all 4 wheels -
that's nice, too.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Lauson became Tecumseh. I also have one of those tubular framed sheet
metal decked 24 inch mowers woth the twisted belt and horizontal shaft
engine. It has 20 inch bicycle tires on the rear - and is self
propelled. When the steel deck corroded through I put on a stainless
deck. When the old Briggs died 2 years aho I put on a 6.5HP Bolton
(chinese honda clone in blue paint) engine.

I'll have to post pictures of it too. Made in Schreveport La. It had a
6BS motor - so that dates IT back to the late fifties Made from '53 to
'58) I use it every week during the growing season to mow my lawn.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Nov 2014 08:19:52 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

That's cute! Do you suppose that was the original paint scheme? Cast
aluminum deck - that's nice. Single-lever control of all 4 wheels -
that's nice, too.

Actually it was orange with a light green deck when I got it, but
most of the paint was missing - the deck was starting to corode - I
stripped it down and painted it with tremclad just to preserve it back
about 1996.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Lauson became Tecumseh. I also have one of those tubular framed
sheet
metal decked 24 inch mowers woth the twisted belt and horizontal
shaft
engine. It has 20 inch bicycle tires on the rear - and is self
propelled. When the steel deck corroded through I put on a
stainless
deck. When the old Briggs died 2 years aho I put on a 6.5HP Bolton
(chinese honda clone in blue paint) engine.

I'll have to post pictures of it too. Made in Schreveport La. It had
6BS motor - so that dates IT back to the late fifties Made from '53
'58) I use it every week during the growing season to mow my lawn.

I still use an Eclipse reel mower with a 6BS engine that starts on the
second pull.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 20:12:31 -0800, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."

with a Lauson V20G engine.

Engine? Kids these days. Spoiled.

I mowed a large lot for years with a steel-wheeled push reel mower -
got my first power mower when I mowed 4 or 5 lawns all across town as
a young teen. A Jacobson just a couple years newer than the Lawn King.