Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Calibrate a flowmeter?

One of my flowmeters needs to be rebuilt. It is a Victor, the kit is
available, and I know which part needs replacing. What I don't know is
whether the flow gauge itself is made to operate at 25 PSI or 80 PSI.
The ambiguity is because the Victor manual for this device is for two
part numbers, 2325 and 2380. 2380 is stamped on my unit and according
to the manual the 2380 is for CO2 at 8-28 SCFH and the 2325 is for
argon or helium, 10-50 SCFH argon and 20 to 150 helium. However, my
unit is set up with the 580 CGA inlet which is for high pressure
argon, C25, and Helium. And as near as I can tell the inlet is
original, it came from the factory the way it is now. So that's a long
way to say that I would like to figure out what the flow is. If I put
a flow gauge in line with the existing flow gauge, just the tube and
ball assembly, would it tell me what the tube and ball assembly in
front of it is flowing? Somehow I don't think so.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:01:19 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Odd...my Victor flow gages have scales for all those gases on
different sides and in those flow rates.

So mine are useful with all gases. 8cfm is a bit high for a low end
of the CO2 scale though. Mine all go down to 2 cfm on Co2

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 13:18:28 -0500, "Pete C."

[...]

Putting two flowmeters in series would likely affect the flow resistance
and thus reduce the actual flow rate, but whatever volume is flowing
certainly should be the same through both, where else could the gas go?

I understand that they should both read the same. What I don't know is
how much adding the extra flow meter will affect the flow from the
first one. I guess I'll just have to try it and see.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I think I just figured it out. If I connect a known good flow meter to
a cylinder and set the flow with a fixed orifice and then transfer
this fixed orifice to the flow meter in question I can see if it flows
the same. If it doesn't then I can change the regulator pressure until
it does. I have two Victor flow meters that use the same flow
adjusting valve. One is the meter that needs repairing. So after the
repair I will open up both valves wide open and then screw a fixed
orifice valve into each one in turn and compare the results.
ERic

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 7:09:27 PM UTC-4, wrote:

.. I have two Victor flow meters that use the same flow

adjusting valve. One is the meter that needs repairing. So after the

repair I will open up both valves wide open and then screw a fixed

orifice valve into each one in turn and compare the results.

ERIC

Or take a gallon zip lock bag and time how long it takes to fill the bag.
And then do the math to change to liters per second or what ever.

Dan