Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.[_3_] Pete C.[_3_] is offline

Default Calibrate a flowmeter?

wrote:

One of my flowmeters needs to be rebuilt. It is a Victor, the kit is
available, and I know which part needs replacing. What I don't know is
whether the flow gauge itself is made to operate at 25 PSI or 80 PSI.
The ambiguity is because the Victor manual for this device is for two
part numbers, 2325 and 2380. 2380 is stamped on my unit and according
to the manual the 2380 is for CO2 at 8-28 SCFH and the 2325 is for
argon or helium, 10-50 SCFH argon and 20 to 150 helium. However, my
unit is set up with the 580 CGA inlet which is for high pressure
argon, C25, and Helium. And as near as I can tell the inlet is
original, it came from the factory the way it is now. So that's a long
way to say that I would like to figure out what the flow is. If I put
a flow gauge in line with the existing flow gauge, just the tube and
ball assembly, would it tell me what the tube and ball assembly in
front of it is flowing? Somehow I don't think so.
Eric

Putting two flowmeters in series would likely affect the flow resistance
and thus reduce the actual flow rate, but whatever volume is flowing
certainly should be the same through both, where else could the gas go?