Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Induction brazing from old microwave oven?

On Monday, July 29, 1996 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, Jerzy S. Krasinski wrote:
writes:

Has anyone constructed a homemade induction brazing coil powered from
a salvaged home microwave oven? I think the usual oven is rated around
1000 watts, so it should provide enough power for a small coil, say maybe
1-inch inside diameter. I want to join brass to 1/8-inch O-1 drill rod and make
a nice clean joint without any surplus squirting out the edges. I've used
paste of silver/flux and also stick silver solder with a propane torch, but
haven't developed the skills to make a perfect joint. According to the
AWS, for a tubular type joint, the space allowed for the filler metal should
be around 0.002 to 0.005 inches. Any comments will be welcome. Dave

Good day Dave

I have seen spot welders made from MOTs. A nice one on youtube is from the "King of Random." It looks nice and works well. I am planning to run two MOTs in parallel on 240 volts for higher power and faster welding time. Please be careful when messing around with MOTs. The high voltage side can cause nasty burns or even kill you.

Have fun and be safe.