Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default Induction brazing from old microwave oven?

On 10/23/2014 1:38 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:27:19 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Friday, October 17, 2014 11:16:54 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, July 29, 1996 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, Jerzy S. Krasinski wrote:
writes:

Has anyone constructed a homemade induction brazing coil powered from
a salvaged home microwave oven? I think the usual oven is rated around
1000 watts, so it should provide enough power for a small coil, say maybe
1-inch inside diameter. I want to join brass to 1/8-inch O-1 drill rod and make
a nice clean joint without any surplus squirting out the edges. I've used
paste of silver/flux and also stick silver solder with a propane torch, but
haven't developed the skills to make a perfect joint. According to the
AWS, for a tubular type joint, the space allowed for the filler metal should
be around 0.002 to 0.005 inches. Any comments will be welcome. Dave

Good day Dave

I have seen spot welders made from MOTs. A nice one on youtube is from the "King of Random." It looks nice and works well. I am planning to run two MOTs in parallel on 240 volts for higher power and faster welding time. Please be careful when messing around with MOTs. The high voltage side can cause nasty burns or even kill you.

Have fun and be safe.

I wouldn't say all that about welding, because remember, the act of welding is emitting microwaves. So you are cooking yourself while you are welding.

Welding does not emit microwaves. It emits light in the range of
infrared through ultrviolet C. It can be severely damaging to the eyes
in several ways, but the skin cancer possibility is the same as for
exposure to UV from the sun. It depends on the amount of exposure,
while eye damage can occur almost instantaneiously.

Microwaves (1x10^11) come right after far infrared (1x10^14) in the
electromagnetic spectrum. So I don't think a blanket statement that
welding does not produce microwaves would be perfectly safe.

I doubt that heart pacemakers are worried about IR.