Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pigeons on shop roof

Anyone have a proven method of encouraging pigeons
to find a new home. Looks like the flying rats are
trying to build a nest. Did a google search and only
got useless results from people trying to sell stuff
that does not work. If i put some aluminum swarf
in thier nest will they move on?

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Howard Beal wrote:
Anyone have a proven method of encouraging pigeons
to find a new home. Looks like the flying rats are
trying to build a nest. Did a google search and only
got useless results from people trying to sell stuff
that does not work. If i put some aluminum swarf
in thier nest will they move on?

Best Regards
Tom.

A .22 rifle with a decent scope will end that problem permanently . And make
a nice pot pie .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 20:17:20 -0700, "Howard Beal"
wrote:

Anyone have a proven method of encouraging pigeons
to find a new home. Looks like the flying rats are
trying to build a nest. Did a google search and only
got useless results from people trying to sell stuff
that does not work.

The spike strips are the only thing I've ever seen which work.
Avoid the self-adhesive plastic types for obvious reasons.
Also avoid those which look like branched twigs. Dropped straws build
up on them and nests result.

Stick with the Bird-Be-Gone 5" plain spike style. Expensive, but
proven. (Disclaimer: I've only seen these used/talked with many
owners. I haven't bought and used them myself due to no need. The
woodpecker wouldn't have been bothered by them anyway since he was
sitting on top of the tin lids. sigh Luckily, he finally found a
mate and left my tin alone.)

If i put some aluminum swarf
in thier nest will they move on?

No, they'll add to it and stay.

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 22:45:55 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Howard Beal wrote:
Anyone have a proven method of encouraging pigeons
to find a new home. Looks like the flying rats are
trying to build a nest. Did a google search and only
got useless results from people trying to sell stuff
that does not work. If i put some aluminum swarf
in thier nest will they move on?

Best Regards
Tom.

A .22 rifle with a decent scope will end that problem permanently . And make
a nice pot pie .

Remember the Dan Carlin skit? He said he'd fix two social problems in
one brilliant stroke by giving the homeless people loaves of bread,
sending them to the park, and letting them nab pigeons, pluck 'em, and
toss 'em between two slices of bread. Problems solved!

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

How about reverse lightning rods? Zap the nasty little suckers out
of the sky. ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Howard Beal wrote:
Anyone have a proven method of encouraging pigeons
to find a new home. Looks like the flying rats are
trying to build a nest. Did a google search and only
got useless results from people trying to sell stuff
that does not work. If i put some aluminum swarf
in thier nest will they move on?

Best Regards
Tom.

A .22 rifle with a decent scope will end that problem permanently . And
make a nice pot pie .

--
Snag

Neighbors are to close for shooting.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I do have a roll of chicken wire and a high frequency starter for my
welder. Might do some experiments combining the two.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Gonna check out the spikes on my next trip to lowes.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, October 13, 2014 8:17:20 PM UTC-7, Howard Beal wrote:
Anyone have a proven method of encouraging pigeons

to find a new home. Looks like the flying rats are

trying to build a nest.

Maybe try to find woodworking plans for a hawk-suitable
birdhouse. Or encourage a neighbor to take up falconry.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Howard Beal" wrote in message
Anyone have a proven method of encouraging pigeons
to find a new home. Looks like the flying rats are
trying to build a nest. Did a google search and only
got useless results from people trying to sell stuff
that does not work. If i put some aluminum swarf
in thier nest will they move on?

Best Regards
Tom.

Fishing line a few inches above the ridge?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 14-Oct-14 8:01 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Howard Beal" wrote in message
Anyone have a proven method of encouraging pigeons
to find a new home. Looks like the flying rats are
trying to build a nest. Did a google search and only
got useless results from people trying to sell stuff
that does not work. If i put some aluminum swarf
in thier nest will they move on?

Best Regards
Tom.

Fishing line a few inches above the ridge?

That works really well. Totally stopped birds coming under my peaked patio.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 22:44:33 -0700, "Howard Beal"
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

How about reverse lightning rods? Zap the nasty little suckers out
of the sky. ;-)

I do have a roll of chicken wire and a high frequency starter for my
welder. Might do some experiments combining the two.

This might cause you to rethink that.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...roperty-owners
And then there are these...
https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/t...olous-lawsuits

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Howard Beal wrote:
Anyone have a proven method of encouraging pigeons
to find a new home. Looks like the flying rats are
trying to build a nest. Did a google search and only
got useless results from people trying to sell stuff
that does not work. If i put some aluminum swarf
in thier nest will they move on?

Best Regards
Tom.

Two things that I know work.

Shoot the damn things.
Or install some
http://www.bird-x.com/stainless-stee...php?page_id=67
--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/14/2014 10:28 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

This might cause you to rethink that.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...roperty-owners
And then there are these...
https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/t...olous-lawsuits

The pigeons might sue?? Or the guy who climbs up on the roof to ... what?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Howard Beal wrote:
Anyone have a proven method of encouraging pigeons
to find a new home. Looks like the flying rats are
trying to build a nest. Did a google search and only
got useless results from people trying to sell stuff
that does not work. If i put some aluminum swarf
in thier nest will they move on?

Best Regards
Tom.

A .22 rifle with a decent scope will end that problem permanently . And make
a nice pot pie .

=============
high power air gun probably less hassle.

Given the current environment, probably best to give the
local police a "heads up" if you decide to harvest a few
with the air gun, to avoid the SWAT team and local tv
responding to a terrorist on the roof with a gun.

These looks like a good buy. Never dealt with this company,
but their catalog just hit my mail box.
http://tinyurl.com/k7gatw8
http://tinyurl.com/kzhkado

Gunner and our other shooters -- any experience with either
of these?

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Howard Beal wrote:
Anyone have a proven method of encouraging pigeons
to find a new home. Looks like the flying rats are
trying to build a nest. Did a google search and only
got useless results from people trying to sell stuff
that does not work. If i put some aluminum swarf
in thier nest will they move on?

Best Regards
Tom.

Two things that I know work.

Shoot the damn things.
Or install some
http://www.bird-x.com/stainless-stee...php?page_id=67
--
Steve W.

I like the spikes, might be a diy project. I have some stainless mig wire
that
i could affix to pvc pipe and paint to match the roof tiles.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

How about reverse lightning rods? Zap the nasty little suckers out
of the sky. ;-)

I do have a roll of chicken wire and a high frequency starter for my
welder. Might do some experiments combining the two.

This might cause you to rethink that.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...roperty-owners
And then there are these...
https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/t...olous-lawsuits

Yep the 1-800 lawyers will give you greif. The problem is even if you
prevail in
a lawsuit the cost of winning is very high and you cannot recoup your costs.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Howard Beal wrote:
[...]

Checked with metro, open carry is legal in nevada. But this is a
high density residential neighborhood, so metro mentioned that
if someone calls in a report of a man with a rifle shooting from
a roof will get me swated. Then there is the potential of a video
of me shooting pigeons appearing on youtube and i get sued by PETA.

Reasearch indicates that the bird spikes are the best solution to
the problem. Access denial to landing, perching and nesting is
effective according to the reports i have read.

Best Regards
Tom.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/14/2014 3:29 AM, whit3rd wrote:
On Monday, October 13, 2014 8:17:20 PM UTC-7, Howard Beal wrote:
Anyone have a proven method of encouraging pigeons

to find a new home. Looks like the flying rats are

trying to build a nest.

Maybe try to find woodworking plans for a hawk-suitable
birdhouse. Or encourage a neighbor to take up falconry.

Milwaukee established a population of peregrine falcons downtown, they
roost on top of the buildings and feast on the pigeons. I don't think
they go for the seagulls, though.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Howard Beal wrote:
Anyone have a proven method of encouraging pigeons
to find a new home. Looks like the flying rats are
trying to build a nest. Did a google search and only
got useless results from people trying to sell stuff
that does not work. If i put some aluminum swarf
in thier nest will they move on?

Best Regards
Tom.

A .22 rifle with a decent scope will end that problem permanently . And
make a nice pot pie .

--
Snag

Neighbors are to close for shooting.

Best Regards
Tom.

Not for a decent BB gun.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15730096

This is more than accurate enough to head shoot pigeons, more than
powerful enough to anchor them if you take a body shot and quiet
enough not to disturb the neighbors.

It also works nicely for running off stray dogs by only putting 3 or
so pumps into it and then pegging Bowser in the ass. Slight bruise..no
damage. Put in 10 pumps and put one in their ear...you will need to
slither them out to the dumpster.

Probably one of the best "universal" "bb" guns out there today.

Not a target gun..but damned near.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Remove all flammible materials from side zones of the treated area.

You CAN set birds on fire.

Been there, done that...horrifyingly.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yep don't want pigeon flambe landing in a neighbors palm tree or
roof. Gonna test some diy bird spikes. If that fails gonna try baited
rat traps, my neighbor told me thats what they use at the mini storage
where he works. Just gotta get the realy biggins at the .99 store.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Howard Beal wrote:
[...]

Not with the Ruger..but a fair amount with Beemans. They are quite
good (Beemans) in general. Some have trigger pulls that are more than
I like..but some of them are adjustable. Decent guns if you NEED a
high powered pellet gun. Just keep in mind..that 1000 fps is pretty
damned fast for urban use and will blow right through a pigeon and
keep in trucking for another couple blocks.

Its like shooting bunny rabbits with a 308. Really not necessary to
have that much Umph!

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Howard Beal wrote:
[...]

Right - we like the .22 size a bit more weight and it makes a larger hole.
Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Howard Beal" writes:

Anyone have a proven method of encouraging pigeons
to find a new home. Looks like the flying rats are
trying to build a nest. Did a google search and only
got useless results ....

Peregrine falcon...

The fastest creature on the planet.....

--
A host is a host from coast to

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Lesher wrote:

"Howard Beal" writes:

Anyone have a proven method of encouraging pigeons
to find a new home. Looks like the flying rats are
trying to build a nest. Did a google search and only
got useless results ....

Peregrine falcon...

The fastest creature on the planet.....

No. That would be the first lady at a free buffet. Stay out of her
way, or you'll be forked!

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/13/2014 9:17 PM, Howard Beal wrote:
Anyone have a proven method of encouraging pigeons
to find a new home. Looks like the flying rats are
trying to build a nest. Did a google search and only
got useless results from people trying to sell stuff
that does not work. If i put some aluminum swarf
in thier nest will they move on?

Best Regards
Tom.

Nixalite.

http://www.nixalite.com/

And a good quality .177 pellet rifle.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"tonopah" wrote in message ...
On 10/13/2014 9:17 PM, Howard Beal wrote:
Anyone have a proven method of encouraging pigeons
to find a new home. Looks like the flying rats are
trying to build a nest. Did a google search and only
got useless results from people trying to sell stuff
that does not work. If i put some aluminum swarf
in thier nest will they move on?

Best Regards
Tom.

Nixalite.

http://www.nixalite.com/

And a good quality .177 pellet rifle.

Yep that works. Since pigeons don't fly at night i go
hunting them late night while they are nesting. I bagged
6 of them this week. Cleaned them and they are in the
fridge. Squab Tacos this week end.

Best Regards
Tom.

killing pigeons cm[_2_] Home Repair 68 March 12th 19 02:03 AM
Lumpy pigeons on slate roof, and the quest for better broadband John Rumm UK diy 19 May 12th 14 09:09 PM
Pigeons Ken[_19_] UK diy 32 April 16th 11 02:23 PM
Pigeons Andrew Gabriel UK diy 122 July 25th 08 01:20 AM
OT ? Effectiveness of a pellet gun for pest control - squirrels and pigeons. Stephen Metalworking 34 August 23rd 04 05:45 PM