Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pigeons

Hi
Having trouble with Pigeons coming in garden, picking up seeds dropped by
the small birds from the feeders,
Need a selective scarer, any-body recommend a cheap powerful water pistol,
with good range ???
Thanks
Ken

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ken wrote:
Hi
Having trouble with Pigeons coming in garden, picking up seeds dropped
by the small birds from the feeders,
Need a selective scarer, any-body recommend a cheap powerful water
pistol, with good range ???
Thanks
Ken

Air rifle. Lethal up to 30 meters. Eat pigon breasts poached in cider,
or made into pies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ken wrote:
Hi
Having trouble with Pigeons coming in garden, picking up seeds dropped
by the small birds from the feeders,
Need a selective scarer, any-body recommend a cheap powerful water
pistol, with good range ???
Thanks
Ken

Air rifle. Lethal up to 30 meters. Eat pigon breasts poached in cider, or
made into pies.

Yebut, they can't get back to warn their mates to keep away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 10:32:02 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Ken wrote:
Hi
Having trouble with Pigeons coming in garden, picking up seeds dropped
by the small birds from the feeders,
Need a selective scarer, any-body recommend a cheap powerful water
pistol, with good range ???
Thanks
Ken

Air rifle. Lethal up to 30 meters. Eat pigon breasts poached in cider,
or made into pies.

Pigeon breasts have a very unpleasant taste IMHO; a bit like liver.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "Ken" says...
Having trouble with Pigeons coming in garden, picking up seeds dropped by
the small birds from the feeders,

Out of curiosity, why is it a problem? We have pigeons and magpies visit
as well as the smaller stuff - it's just another bird.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Ken wrote:
Hi
Having trouble with Pigeons coming in garden, picking up seeds dropped
by the small birds from the feeders,
Need a selective scarer, any-body recommend a cheap powerful water
pistol, with good range ???
Thanks
Ken

Air rifle. Lethal up to 30 meters. Eat pigon breasts poached in cider,
or made into pies.

Pigeon breasts have a very unpleasant taste IMHO; a bit like liver.

I rate it closer to heart actually.

That why you poach em in cider. Draws out the taste somewhat.

BUT a lot depends on what your pigeon has been eating. An undiluted diet
of rape does leave then a shade bitter, for example.

In any case they can be given to any cats and dogs, saving on tinned food.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Ken wrote:
Hi
Having trouble with Pigeons coming in garden, picking up seeds dropped
by the small birds from the feeders,
Need a selective scarer, any-body recommend a cheap powerful water
pistol, with good range ???
Thanks
Ken
Air rifle. Lethal up to 30 meters. Eat pigon breasts poached in cider,
or made into pies.
Pigeon breasts have a very unpleasant taste IMHO; a bit like liver.

Unpleasant? Liver? What an odd man you are.

I rate it closer to heart actually.

That why you poach em in cider. Draws out the taste somewhat.

Marinade them in lime juice and soy sauce.

Yeah, any mild acid seems to work. White wine and cream is another one I
have seen used.

Hare is another rather rank tasting meat if its not marinaded.

Wild rabbit too has an odour of sweaty socks, till its been suitably
treated.

As does wild venison.

But if you DO do the work, it completely disappears.

Rabbit or hare vindaloo, with mustard and vinegar, is peerless!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Skipweasel" wrote in message
In article , "Ken" says...
Having trouble with Pigeons coming in garden, picking up seeds dropped
by
the small birds from the feeders,

Out of curiosity, why is it a problem? We have pigeons and magpies visit
as well as the smaller stuff - it's just another bird.

cos pigeons are horrible birds, they congregate on my neigbours roof all the
time, ****ting everywhere, coming into the garden to scoff all the food put
down for the more pleasant birds (and they will eat a weeks worth of seeds
for the other birds in a few minutes)

Theres a tree they roost in that overhangs the road, the road is almost pure
white there due to all the pigeon ****e, every now and they you will see a
shoe print followed by a skid mark and then a bum and hand prints in the
accumilated crap,
i bet the people who slip and fall in the pigeon crap dont like them much
either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2011 12:02, Gazz wrote:

[...]

I can think of only one good thing about pigeons. No two, they sound
good cooing. Anyway they are the only birds that will fight off rooks
when they try to invade a stand of trees for their nests. I have nothing
against rooks but I don't want their loud, raucous sound all day near my
house. I watched a Libya-style battle that raged all day between two
large flocks of these two. The pigeons won. I am still not sure how. I
would suggest a cat but mine kills only one or two a month and that's
far too low a success rate. I've had to enlarge the cat door. He was
breaking them forcing his way in with the pigeons sideways on.

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gazz wrote:

[...]

wait till your car gets crapped on by a duck, or migrating goose..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Scott
scribeth thus
On 15/04/2011 12:02, Gazz wrote:

[...]

A most awful noise;!...

Anyway they are the only birds that will fight off rooks
when they try to invade a stand of trees for their nests. I have nothing
against rooks but I don't want their loud, raucous sound all day near my
house. I watched a Libya-style battle that raged all day between two
large flocks of these two. The pigeons won. I am still not sure how. I
would suggest a cat but mine kills only one or two a month and that's
far too low a success rate. I've had to enlarge the cat door. He was
breaking them forcing his way in with the pigeons sideways on.

Well since we had a cat the pigeons have ****ed off elsewhere but he
gets the odd songbird from time to time as well as the odd
Pidgeon/dove..

Peter Scott

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...
Comeing

Oops!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 12:22:40 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Gazz wrote:

[...]

Herring Gulls are pretty bad.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 12:02:19 +0100, Gazz wrote:

"Skipweasel" wrote in message
In article , "Ken" says...
Having trouble with Pigeons coming in garden, picking up seeds dropped
by
the small birds from the feeders,

Out of curiosity, why is it a problem? We have pigeons and magpies visit
as well as the smaller stuff - it's just another bird.

cos pigeons are horrible birds, they congregate on my neigbours roof all the
time, ****ting everywhere, coming into the garden to scoff all the food put
down for the more pleasant birds (and they will eat a weeks worth of seeds
for the other birds in a few minutes)

Err, the same amount of birdfood will be converted into the same amount
of birdcrap no matter what species eats it. So the fecal objections don't
make any sense.

Theres a tree they roost in that overhangs the road, the road is almost pure
white there due to all the pigeon ****e, every now and they you will see a
shoe print followed by a skid mark and then a bum and hand prints in the
accumilated crap,
i bet the people who slip and fall in the pigeon crap dont like them much
either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , peter@peter-
scott.org.uk says...
Fair enough - I tend to treat them all the same, if they come to the
garden they'll get fed or eaten with equanimity.

Hee hee. Ever eaten an ortolan or a swan?

Actually I meant by the cat, but hey...

and no - though for some reason hunting ortolans seems familiar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

root wrote:
On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 12:02:19 +0100, Gazz wrote:

"Skipweasel" wrote in message
In article , "Ken" says...
Having trouble with Pigeons coming in garden, picking up seeds dropped
by
the small birds from the feeders,

Out of curiosity, why is it a problem? We have pigeons and magpies visit
as well as the smaller stuff - it's just another bird.

cos pigeons are horrible birds, they congregate on my neigbours roof all the
time, ****ting everywhere, coming into the garden to scoff all the food put
down for the more pleasant birds (and they will eat a weeks worth of seeds
for the other birds in a few minutes)

Err, the same amount of birdfood will be converted into the same amount
of birdcrap no matter what species eats it. So the fecal objections don't
make any sense.

You are thinking like a wind lobbyist.

consider the proposition that 90% of peigeon food is NIOT from the bird
table, but they spend 100% more of their time at it than they would if
it was not there at all.

And the time many birds do crap is after a tasty snack, just as they are
taking off.

Our terrier put up a flock of wild geese..it was raining bird crap and
I dunno how I escaped.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

cos pigeons are horrible birds, they congregate on my neigbours roof all
the
time, ****ting everywhere, coming into the garden to scoff all the food
put
down for the more pleasant birds (and they will eat a weeks worth of
seeds
for the other birds in a few minutes)

Err, the same amount of birdfood will be converted into the same amount
of birdcrap no matter what species eats it. So the fecal objections don't
make any sense.

not fussed about the ****e in this respect, it's that the greedy buggers
empty out the feeders in a few minutes, where the 'nicer' birds take about a
week to do so,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 18:50:42 +0100, Gazz wrote:

cos pigeons are horrible birds, they congregate on my neigbours roof all
the
time, ****ting everywhere, coming into the garden to scoff all the food
put
down for the more pleasant birds (and they will eat a weeks worth of
seeds
for the other birds in a few minutes)

Err, the same amount of birdfood will be converted into the same amount
of birdcrap no matter what species eats it. So the fecal objections don't
make any sense.

not fussed about the ****e in this respect, it's that the greedy buggers
empty out the feeders in a few minutes, where the 'nicer' birds take about a
week to do so,

Hmmm, you have to forgive my original presumption as your post was about
that aspect more than any other.

If you wish to prevent pigeons from feeding, just do what we've done and
downsize the feeders so they can't perch / access them directly. You will
still get them hoovering up the dropped/spilt birdseed, but your "nice"
birds will be the only ones small enough to empty the feeders.

However, it's better to have the pigeons remove birdseed from the ground
than for it to attract mice/rats to the area, which will come and nest
in your house as soon as winter sets in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2011 18:03, Skipweasel wrote:
In , peter@peter-
scott.org.uk says...
Fair enough - I tend to treat them all the same, if they come to the
garden they'll get fed or eaten with equanimity.

Hee hee. Ever eaten an ortolan or a swan?

Actually I meant by the cat, but hey...

and no - though for some reason hunting ortolans seems familiar.

A small lark in France. Illegal to do it though Mitterand was allowed to
eat some as he died. You have eat the whole thing, feathers and guts,
and you wear a hood rather like a Ku Klux Klan barbecue. Or Dixie Pixies
as Tom Lehrer described them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , peter@peter-
scott.org.uk says...
Actually I meant by the cat, but hey...

and no - though for some reason hunting ortolans seems familiar.

A small lark in France. Illegal to do it though Mitterand was allowed to
eat some as he died. You have eat the whole thing, feathers and guts,
and you wear a hood rather like a Ku Klux Klan barbecue. Or Dixie Pixies
as Tom Lehrer described them.

Yeah - I know that, but I'm trying to remember /why/ I knew it. Perhaps
a Gerald Durrell, or somesuch - I certainly remember reading a
description of ortolan hunting and scoffing. Might have been on the
radio, though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2011 21:47, Skipweasel wrote:
In , peter@peter-
scott.org.uk says...
Actually I meant by the cat, but hey...

and no - though for some reason hunting ortolans seems familiar.

A small lark in France. Illegal to do it though Mitterand was allowed to
eat some as he died. You have eat the whole thing, feathers and guts,
and you wear a hood rather like a Ku Klux Klan barbecue. Or Dixie Pixies
as Tom Lehrer described them.

Yeah - I know that, but I'm trying to remember /why/ I knew it. Perhaps
a Gerald Durrell, or somesuch - I certainly remember reading a
description of ortolan hunting and scoffing. Might have been on the
radio, though.

It was on the box. For the life of me can't remember what the programme
was though.

Got it. The Spectator December 2008 by: Simon Hoggart

"My favourite programme last week was France on a Plate (BBC4, Sunday)
in which Dr Andrew Hussey investigated the link between gastronomy and
la gloire; French glory and destiny. He began with a recreation of
François Mitterrand’s last meal, which climaxed with the illegal
consumption of ortolans, an endangered songbird which is blinded then
boiled in Armagnac. Yum! As you crunch the creature whole, its tiny head
dangling from your lips, you wear a napkin over your head which keeps
the flavour in, and emphasises the sacerdotal significance of the act.
Just as pre-revolutionary kings ate vast banquets while the peasants
starved largely to prove they could, so Mitterrand feasted on a
protected species because he too was the chef de l’état, and did as he
pleased, especially when days from death."

Just pretend it's a pigeon

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , peter@peter-
scott.org.uk says...
Just pretend it's a pigeon

Peter Scott

At this point, the coincidence of your name becomes overwhelming.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 21:47:06 +0100, Skipweasel
wrote:

In article , peter@peter-
scott.org.uk says...
Actually I meant by the cat, but hey...

and no - though for some reason hunting ortolans seems familiar.

A small lark in France. Illegal to do it though Mitterand was allowed to
eat some as he died. You have eat the whole thing, feathers and guts,
and you wear a hood rather like a Ku Klux Klan barbecue. Or Dixie Pixies
as Tom Lehrer described them.

Yeah - I know that, but I'm trying to remember /why/ I knew it. Perhaps
a Gerald Durrell, or somesuch - I certainly remember reading a
description of ortolan hunting and scoffing. Might have been on the
radio, though.

See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alouette_(song)

The French genearally are abtsards.
--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...
See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alouette_(song)

I asked our French student at school whether she thought it appropriate
to teach fine upstanding British children that - she didn't see the
funny side at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2011 22:41, Skipweasel wrote:
In , peter@peter-
scott.org.uk says...
Just pretend it's a pigeon

Peter Scott

At this point, the coincidence of your name becomes overwhelming.

Yes. Sussed. Its a new type of cloud computing called ectoplasmanet. I
find it easier than a ouija board.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
km km is offline

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 08:46:54 +0100, "Ken" kenp wrote:

Hi
Having trouble with Pigeons coming in garden, picking up seeds dropped by
the small birds from the feeders,
Need a selective scarer, any-body recommend a cheap powerful water pistol,
with good range ???
Thanks
Ken

To stop pigeons getting at a seed tray left for smaller birds, I
bought a small mesh flower/plant holder (the type that can be
suspended) and placed it, inverted over the seed tray. Used some
flexible garden wire to hold it in position.

Its quite entertaining to see the lengths pigeons go to, to try and
get in. Eventually the numbers trying have given up so magpies and
pigeons are making fewer visits.

km
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 15, 8:46*am, "Ken" kenp wrote:
Hi
Having trouble with Pigeons *coming in garden, picking up seeds dropped by
the small birds from the feeders,
Need a selective scarer, any-body recommend a cheap powerful water pistol,
with good range ???
Thanks
Ken

Why not use the pigeons to wipe out your ISP bill
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers

NT

killing pigeons cm[_2_] Home Repair 68 March 12th 19 02:03 AM
Pigeons Andrew Gabriel UK diy 122 July 25th 08 01:20 AM
OT ? Effectiveness of a pellet gun for pest control - squirrels and pigeons. Stephen Metalworking 34 August 23rd 04 05:45 PM