Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Jackhammering a brick wall

As part of tomorrow's "removal" operation, I have to jackhammer a
brick wall.

This is done to facilitate removal of three machines (autoclaves),
each about 5 feet diameter and 30 foot long. They are mounted "through
the wall", so that 90% of them are outside, but the access door is on
the inside.

I told the company that I would bring my tow behind compressor and
jackhammer to hammer out about a foot of bricks around the autoclaves,
so that then I can pull them out without having the wall follow them.

OK, so far so good.

Now I want to make sure that as I am jackhammering the wall, it would
not suddenly crack, collapse, or otherwise give me trouble. This is a
regular overlaid construction brick wall, partly cinderblock and
partly brick.

Any experiences, am I overthinking that? Can a wall suddenly crack
from local jackhammering?

Secondly, a jackhammer is very heavy, maybe 80 lbs. Obviously, no one
can hold it horizontally for a long time. How do people deal with
this? I wanted to have my partner support it with something suspended
from forklift forks. Makes sense?

Note that I do have a jackhammer for a bobcat, but the access is no
good and it will not be able to work in that area.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus10482 wrote:
[...]

You'll lose part of the effectiveness by suspending the hammer - gravity is
your friend . But in this case , yes , it sounds good . I think I'd start
the breakout at the bottom and watch for signs of structural failure .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-10-08, Terry Coombs wrote:

You'll lose part of the effectiveness by suspending the hammer - gravity is
your friend . But in this case , yes , it sounds good . I think I'd start
the breakout at the bottom and watch for signs of structural failure .

OK, this is good, thanks. Not much we can do about lack of gravity
assistance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 22:07:58 -0500, Ignoramus10482

On 2014-10-08, Terry Coombs wrote:

You'll lose part of the effectiveness by suspending the hammer - gravity is
your friend . But in this case , yes , it sounds good . I think I'd start
the breakout at the bottom and watch for signs of structural failure .

OK, this is good, thanks. Not much we can do about lack of gravity
assistance.

Take a sledgehammer, too. If it's old, soft mortar, the bricks may
knock out more easily that way.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus10482 wrote:
As part of tomorrow's "removal" operation, I have to jackhammer a
brick wall.

This is done to facilitate removal of three machines (autoclaves),
each about 5 feet diameter and 30 foot long. They are mounted "through
the wall", so that 90% of them are outside, but the access door is on
the inside.

I told the company that I would bring my tow behind compressor and
jackhammer to hammer out about a foot of bricks around the autoclaves,
so that then I can pull them out without having the wall follow them.

OK, so far so good.

Now I want to make sure that as I am jackhammering the wall, it would
not suddenly crack, collapse, or otherwise give me trouble. This is a
regular overlaid construction brick wall, partly cinderblock and
partly brick.

Got a demo saw? I would cut through the blocks just to be sure you
remove the least amount of wall possible.

Any experiences, am I overthinking that? Can a wall suddenly crack
from local jackhammering?

Yep. All depends on the weight distribution through the wall.

Secondly, a jackhammer is very heavy, maybe 80 lbs. Obviously, no one
can hold it horizontally for a long time. How do people deal with
this? I wanted to have my partner support it with something suspended
from forklift forks. Makes sense?

Suspended works BUT you want to be sure that the suspension point helps
you by having it closer to the wall.

Note that I do have a jackhammer for a bobcat, but the access is no
good and it will not be able to work in that area.

Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-10-08, Terry Coombs wrote:

You'll lose part of the effectiveness by suspending the hammer - gravity is
your friend . But in this case , yes , it sounds good . I think I'd start
the breakout at the bottom and watch for signs of structural failure .

OK, this is good, thanks. Not much we can do about lack of gravity
assistance.

Take a sledgehammer, too. If it's old, soft mortar, the bricks may
knock out more easily that way.

I concur with sledgehammer idea. Done that few times and was surprised how
easy it was.
--
Boris

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rent a small demo hammer, I think 20 or 30 pound. You will need the
manueverability to knock out the bricks. The hard part is the first
few, after that you can generally get them out easily.

On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 20:44:42 -0500, Ignoramus10482
wrote:

[...]

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus10482 wrote:
[...]

I'm going out on a limb here, but maybe they use the proper tools for the
job? Using a jackhammer to take out a wall sounds like something you see
in a third world accident waiting to happen photo of video.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-10-08, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus10482 wrote:
[...]

OK, it worked out good. I used a smaller jackhammer. The bricks were
not adhered well to mortar, so everything came apart easily. I had to
shore the holes for safety, I had two shoring jacks or whatever they
are called.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 08-Oct-14 9:44 AM, Ignoramus10482 wrote:
[...]

Just dont do this!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=298_1412857639

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, October 8, 2014 8:35:37 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus19237 wrote:

OK, it worked out good. I used a smaller jackhammer. The bricks were

not adhered well to mortar, so everything came apart easily. I had to

shore the holes for safety, I had two shoring jacks or whatever they

are called.

Also ig, I assume you put the phrase "brick wall demolition" into YouTube's search engine.

(several construction firms have posted previous operations there)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-10-09, DTJ wrote:
[...]

There are more people like that than you would expect.

His life was hanging by a thread, if that big concrete piece decided
to fall on him after he fell into the hole.

U values... I thought brick/cavity/brick wall was 1.73... [email protected] UK diy 6 December 3rd 12 04:27 PM
Another brick in the wall Appelation Controlee UK diy 15 May 27th 10 10:17 AM
New Brick Wall WALKERMAN Home Ownership 2 March 2nd 05 10:25 PM
Brick wall Lawrence Zarb UK diy 6 January 1st 05 09:04 PM
opening in brick wall Mftriola Home Repair 1 May 29th 04 05:02 PM