Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy333 Randy333 is offline

Default Jackhammering a brick wall

Rent a small demo hammer, I think 20 or 30 pound. You will need the
manueverability to knock out the bricks. The hard part is the first
few, after that you can generally get them out easily.

On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 20:44:42 -0500, Ignoramus10482
wrote:

As part of tomorrow's "removal" operation, I have to jackhammer a
brick wall.

This is done to facilitate removal of three machines (autoclaves),
each about 5 feet diameter and 30 foot long. They are mounted "through
the wall", so that 90% of them are outside, but the access door is on
the inside.

I told the company that I would bring my tow behind compressor and
jackhammer to hammer out about a foot of bricks around the autoclaves,
so that then I can pull them out without having the wall follow them.

OK, so far so good.

Now I want to make sure that as I am jackhammering the wall, it would
not suddenly crack, collapse, or otherwise give me trouble. This is a
regular overlaid construction brick wall, partly cinderblock and
partly brick.

Any experiences, am I overthinking that? Can a wall suddenly crack
from local jackhammering?

Secondly, a jackhammer is very heavy, maybe 80 lbs. Obviously, no one
can hold it horizontally for a long time. How do people deal with
this? I wanted to have my partner support it with something suspended
from forklift forks. Makes sense?

Note that I do have a jackhammer for a bobcat, but the access is no
good and it will not be able to work in that area.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

---