Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default need recommnedation for type of rental trailer to use

I will need to pick up a heavy crate from the UPS freight terminal...
The crate is 900lbs, 67"x30"x30. (It's a lathe)

I was thinking to rent a u-haul utility trailer to go pick this up.
U-haul has both a 6'x12' ultility trailer with a completely removable
tailgate, and a similar trailer that has a fold down ramp. These are
the open-topped utility trailer - not the fully enclosed cargo trailer.

I've never picked up freight at a terminal - and don't know what to
rent. I did call the UPS frieght terminal and asked what they needed,
but they didn't know any more than I.

So, if anyone has picked up something heavy like this from a freight
terminal: what type trailer would be easiest for UPS to load a 900 lb
crate - removable tailgate, or fold-down ramp?

Thanks,

Bill

--
Email address is a Spam trap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-10-03, Bill wrote:
I will need to pick up a heavy crate from the UPS freight terminal...
The crate is 900lbs, 67"x30"x30. (It's a lathe)

I was thinking to rent a u-haul utility trailer to go pick this up.
U-haul has both a 6'x12' ultility trailer with a completely removable
tailgate, and a similar trailer that has a fold down ramp. These are
the open-topped utility trailer - not the fully enclosed cargo trailer.

I've never picked up freight at a terminal - and don't know what to
rent. I did call the UPS frieght terminal and asked what they needed,
but they didn't know any more than I.

So, if anyone has picked up something heavy like this from a freight
terminal: what type trailer would be easiest for UPS to load a 900 lb
crate - removable tailgate, or fold-down ramp?

removable tailgate is better. What is your tow vehicle?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-10-03, Bill wrote:
I will need to pick up a heavy crate from the UPS freight terminal...
The crate is 900lbs, 67"x30"x30. (It's a lathe)

I was thinking to rent a u-haul utility trailer to go pick this up.
U-haul has both a 6'x12' ultility trailer with a completely removable
tailgate, and a similar trailer that has a fold down ramp. These are
the open-topped utility trailer - not the fully enclosed cargo trailer.

I've never picked up freight at a terminal - and don't know what to
rent. I did call the UPS frieght terminal and asked what they needed,
but they didn't know any more than I.

So, if anyone has picked up something heavy like this from a freight
terminal: what type trailer would be easiest for UPS to load a 900 lb
crate - removable tailgate, or fold-down ramp?

removable tailgate is better. What is your tow vehicle?

Chevy tahoe 4 door, 4x4... the hitch is rated for over 5,000 lbs but I
would never try to tow that much weght.
--
Email address is a Spam trap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/03/2014 10:37 AM, Bill wrote:
I will need to pick up a heavy crate from the UPS freight terminal...
The crate is 900lbs, 67"x30"x30. (It's a lathe)

I was thinking to rent a u-haul utility trailer to go pick this up.
U-haul has both a 6'x12' ultility trailer with a completely removable
tailgate, and a similar trailer that has a fold down ramp. These are
the open-topped utility trailer - not the fully enclosed cargo trailer.

I've never picked up freight at a terminal - and don't know what to
rent. I did call the UPS frieght terminal and asked what they needed,
but they didn't know any more than I.

So, if anyone has picked up something heavy like this from a freight
terminal: what type trailer would be easiest for UPS to load a 900 lb
crate - removable tailgate, or fold-down ramp?

One presumes it's on pallet and likely arranged for side access w/ a
forklift so the ideal in that case would be a flatbed trailer that can
set the load down onto from side access to be able to balance load
fore/aft altho at "only" 900 lb as long as the trailer is wide enough to
accommodate the length you'll be able to get by if it's just not too
long behind the axle to put too much uplift on the trailer tongue.

If it's a car hauler or the like you'll definitely want to be able to
get the ramps completely out of the way; don't want them to have to try
to drive their forklift up on the trailer.

Of course, the even nice would be if you had a standard-height trailer
so can just back up to the dock...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/3/2014 12:11 PM, dpb wrote:
Of course, the even nice would be if you had a standard-height trailer
so can just back up to the dock...

I seem to recall looking into having something delivered that I would
pick up at the UPS terminal. As I recall, I HAD to have a dock-high
trailer 'cause they would not move it down to the ground. Anybody know
for sure?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/03/2014 12:42 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 10/3/2014 12:11 PM, dpb wrote:
Of course, the even nice would be if you had a standard-height trailer
so can just back up to the dock...

I seem to recall looking into having something delivered that I would
pick up at the UPS terminal. As I recall, I HAD to have a dock-high
trailer 'cause they would not move it down to the ground. Anybody know
for sure?

All depends on the site...some will, some won't. Have to check with
them at the location to know for certain. In general, one can say
"they'd prefer not even if can" and may be an additional charge if the
will/do.

Obviously, one needs to know these things before heading on out on an
assumption...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-10-03, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 10/3/2014 12:11 PM, dpb wrote:
Of course, the even nice would be if you had a standard-height trailer
so can just back up to the dock...

I seem to recall looking into having something delivered that I would
pick up at the UPS terminal. As I recall, I HAD to have a dock-high
trailer 'cause they would not move it down to the ground. Anybody know
for sure?

All terminals near me have ground ramps.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 11:37:46 -0400, Bill wrote:

I will need to pick up a heavy crate from the UPS freight terminal...
The crate is 900lbs, 67"x30"x30. (It's a lathe)

I was thinking to rent a u-haul utility trailer to go pick this up.
U-haul has both a 6'x12' ultility trailer with a completely removable
tailgate, and a similar trailer that has a fold down ramp. These are
the open-topped utility trailer - not the fully enclosed cargo trailer.

I've never picked up freight at a terminal - and don't know what to
rent. I did call the UPS frieght terminal and asked what they needed,
but they didn't know any more than I.

So, if anyone has picked up something heavy like this from a freight
terminal: what type trailer would be easiest for UPS to load a 900 lb
crate - removable tailgate, or fold-down ramp?

Thanks,

Bill

Hard to get close to the trailer with a fork lift or pallet jack if
you have a ramp.
But if you need to drag the crate on, a ramp can be a definite
advantage. need more info - which apparently UPS (Universally Poor
Service) cannot provide. What else is new???
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill" wrote in message ...
I will need to pick up a heavy crate from the UPS freight terminal...
The crate is 900lbs, 67"x30"x30. (It's a lathe)

I was thinking to rent a u-haul utility trailer to go pick this up.
U-haul has both a 6'x12' ultility trailer with a completely removable
tailgate, and a similar trailer that has a fold down ramp. These are
the open-topped utility trailer - not the fully enclosed cargo trailer.

I've never picked up freight at a terminal - and don't know what to
rent. I did call the UPS frieght terminal and asked what they needed,
but they didn't know any more than I.

So, if anyone has picked up something heavy like this from a freight
terminal: what type trailer would be easiest for UPS to load a 900 lb
crate - removable tailgate, or fold-down ramp?

Thanks,

Bill

Also important is how you are going to unload it. You may want to
consider a lift gate truck.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/03/2014 10:37 AM, Bill wrote:
I will need to pick up a heavy crate from the UPS freight terminal...
The crate is 900lbs, 67"x30"x30. (It's a lathe)

I was thinking to rent a u-haul utility trailer to go pick this up.
U-haul has both a 6'x12' ultility trailer with a completely removable
tailgate, and a similar trailer that has a fold down ramp. These are
the open-topped utility trailer - not the fully enclosed cargo trailer.

Justa' followup to previous--

I sorta' glided over this...if these are the enclosed-side trailers just
w/o the top, I'd suggest you need to really check the inner dimensions
-- 67" isn't _that_ far from 72" and if those are just nominal and not
actual it'd be a pita to find the crate is a little longer than
advertised and the opening a little narrow...it'd be a nice driver test,
anyway...

I'd recommend to go w/ a full flatbed, no sides and take load straps for
tie down...

I've never picked up freight at a terminal - and don't know what to
rent. I did call the UPS frieght terminal and asked what they needed,
but they didn't know any more than I.

If you can't get to the actual worker-bees via phone, it's probably
worth a trip by to find out first hand before the big day arrives.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks Iggy, and guys. I'll my going to go with the Iggy's
recommendation. If that fails - I'll have to figure something else out.

I asked several companies in my area if they would pick the shipment up
from UPS and deliver it - but the one that said they would pick up and
deliver for a couple hundred, has no reviews, and bbb has no records of
their "30 year old" company . I had not contacted these guys myself;
but had contacted a company they apparently use to steer business to
them. So even though it would solve all my problems with
other choice.

I'll bring a manual winch and other stuff I might need, hope it's
acceptable to UPS. As long as UPS will just get it onto the trailer, I
think (hope) I can get the rest done by myself, get it home and get it
unloaded.

Bill
--
Email address is a Spam trap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 11:07:43 -0800, "Artemus"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message ...
[...]

That would be my recommendation.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

They can load it into just about anything. The question actually
is..what trailer can you use to best Unload it from?

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/03/2014 3:40 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

They can load it into just about anything. The question actually
is..what trailer can you use to best Unload it from?

"Can" in these cases doesn't necessarily mean "will"...or at least w/o a
sizable additional fee. And, some places really don't have facilities
to deal with anything but full-size trailers--there's one in town here
that has absolutely no ground-ramp capability at all so you'd be totally
hosed there to show up w/ just a low trailer unless you can stand them
just pushing it off the dock, "kerplunk!"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

They can load it into just about anything. The question actually
is..what trailer can you use to best Unload it from?

Gunner

When I was building large machines the max weight a crew could muscle
onto the truck with J-bars and pipe rollers was 5000 lbs.

Coincidentally that's the average weight of a Great Pyramid stone
block.
http://www.ancientnile.co.uk/pyramids.php
"13. The average weight of each stone was 2.5 tonnes."

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 10/3/2014 12:11 PM, dpb wrote:
Of course, the even nice would be if you had a standard-height trailer
so can just back up to the dock...

I seem to recall looking into having something delivered that I would
pick up at the UPS terminal. As I recall, I HAD to have a dock-high
trailer 'cause they would not move it down to the ground. Anybody know
for sure?

Depends on the location, most of the UPS outfits around here will let
you come in and load off the floor as long as you do all the work,
unless there happens to be a loadout going on.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill wrote:
Thanks Iggy, and guys. I'll my going to go with the Iggy's
recommendation. If that fails - I'll have to figure something else out.

I asked several companies in my area if they would pick the shipment up
from UPS and deliver it - but the one that said they would pick up and
deliver for a couple hundred, has no reviews, and bbb has no records of
their "30 year old" company . I had not contacted these guys myself;
but had contacted a company they apparently use to steer business to
them. So even though it would solve all my problems with
other choice.

I'll bring a manual winch and other stuff I might need, hope it's
acceptable to UPS. As long as UPS will just get it onto the trailer, I
think (hope) I can get the rest done by myself, get it home and get it
unloaded.

Bill

Got an auto tow outfit nearby? Many would be happy to make some extra
money taking a rollback over to pick up and drop off a crate. Used to do
it quite a bit when I had mine. Easy and clean money.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message

Got an auto tow outfit nearby? Many would be happy to make some
extra money taking a rollback over to pick up and drop off a crate.
Used to do it quite a bit when I had mine. Easy and clean money.

--
Steve W.

My South Bend arrived on one. The dealer slid it down very carefully
because lathes are top-heavy.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I will need to pick up a heavy crate from the UPS freight terminal...
The crate is 900lbs, 67"x30"x30. (It's a lathe)

snip
Rent a pick-up, buy several case of beer (for the boys to
help you unload at home), and go for it.

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill wrote:
I will need to pick up a heavy crate from the UPS freight terminal...
The crate is 900lbs, 67"x30"x30. (It's a lathe)

I was thinking to rent a u-haul utility trailer to go pick this up.
U-haul has both a 6'x12' ultility trailer with a completely removable
tailgate, and a similar trailer that has a fold down ramp. These are
the open-topped utility trailer - not the fully enclosed cargo trailer.

I've never picked up freight at a terminal - and don't know what to
rent. I did call the UPS frieght terminal and asked what they needed,
but they didn't know any more than I.

So, if anyone has picked up something heavy like this from a freight
terminal: what type trailer would be easiest for UPS to load a 900 lb
crate - removable tailgate, or fold-down ramp?

Just rent a truck with a liftgate. You can reach any dock and unload at
ground level. Get a pallet jack too, so you can manueuver the load indoors
and move it around. Get the rental place to throw in a dock plate. You
only need those when you don't have one around. That's just how it works
for some reason. With those tools, moving 900 pounds isn't hard at all.
Without them, you're just wasting time by not being prepared.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 16:19:51 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 10/03/2014 3:40 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

They can load it into just about anything. The question actually
is..what trailer can you use to best Unload it from?

"Can" in these cases doesn't necessarily mean "will"...or at least w/o a
sizable additional fee. And, some places really don't have facilities
to deal with anything but full-size trailers--there's one in town here
that has absolutely no ground-ramp capability at all so you'd be totally
hosed there to show up w/ just a low trailer unless you can stand them
just pushing it off the dock, "kerplunk!"

True indeed.

So ****ing ASK!!

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , dpb wrote:

On 10/03/2014 6:39 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:

Just rent a truck with a liftgate. You can reach any dock and unload at
ground level. Get a pallet jack too, so you can manueuver the load indoors
and move it around. Get the rental place to throw in a dock plate. You
only need those when you don't have one around. That's just how it works
for some reason. With those tools, moving 900 pounds isn't hard at all.
Without them, you're just wasting time by not being prepared.

+1

Before you go this route (or the flatbed tow truck) find and call your
local riggers. I've had things extracted and placed by professionals
with all the right tools (and insurance, even!) for less than I could
have rented a truck for to do it myself. May not apply in all areas, but
they are around most places, just not in the forefront of YOUR rolodex
unless you happen to have need of them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 20:11:11 -0400, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article , dpb wrote:

[...]

I agree..check around first. Guys might be having a slow week and need
beer money

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader fired this volley in
:

Just rent a truck with a liftgate. You can reach any dock and unload
at ground level. Get a pallet jack too, so you can manueuver the load
indoors and move it around. Get the rental place to throw in a dock
plate. You only need those when you don't have one around. That's just
how it works for some reason. With those tools, moving 900 pounds
isn't hard at all. Without them, you're just wasting time by not being
prepared.

Enterprise Truck Rentals has 16' Mitsubishi Fuso 16' box trucks with
1200lb cap. lift gates for $95/day, daily, and about $500 per week,
weekly.

I just moved 2300lb of machinery from Florida to Virginia, kept the truck
for 10 days (for local hauling and moving at the job site), and total
cost was $650 plus fuel.

You'll find the crate already has feet for forking, so a pallet jack will
get it moved around as needed. 900lb is nothing.
Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks eveyone.

I'm a total noob when it comes to this sort ot thing - completely out
of my element more than any of you know. I had asked about renting a
16' lift gate truck- the largest I was willing to drive myself, but the
smallest truck available was the 24' straight truck -- that truck was
way larger than I think I can operate safely without having any prior
experience/training.

The issues you've voiced, kept nagging at me to keep searching - and
today, I found some experienced guys who have smaller lift gate equipped
trucks (needed to get into my location), pallet jacks, etc., to help me.

Bill

--
Email address is a Spam trap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-10-03, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

They can load it into just about anything. The question actually
is..what trailer can you use to best Unload it from?

Gunner

When I was building large machines the max weight a crew could muscle
onto the truck with J-bars and pipe rollers was 5000 lbs.

Coincidentally that's the average weight of a Great Pyramid stone
block.
http://www.ancientnile.co.uk/pyramids.php
"13. The average weight of each stone was 2.5 tonnes."

A forklift is not that expensive, for $3k you could buy a 6,000 lbs
forklift.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

In article , dpb wrote:

[...]

Also ask UPS what their facilities have available for you, and at what
price. When I picked up a M3 of wood at the HelL.A. bonded customs
warehouse, they had a "free" forklift to bring my damaged stack of
wood out of the building. We loaded it stick by stick into the
trailer and bed of my truck, since it was no longer banded by steel.
sigh

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

In article , dpb wrote:

[...]

I was able to get a local company that was willing to help me get this
lathe home. They delivered it Wednesday afternoon - no problems
whatsoever.

( I missed them in my initial searches. For some reason they're not
listed in our directory under freight, delivery, or riggers - only
under "courriers". Just had to keep looking/digging.)

--
Email address is a Spam trap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]