Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody here know 1980s Johnson outboards?

So now that I have a 4.5 HP outboard that runs well I would like to
hop it up a little. My last outboard was a 10 HP Merc. I liked the
power. I'm pretty sure the 4.5 HP Johnson will leave me a little
underwhelmed. So I'm thinking about hopping it up a little. If I could
get another 2 HP out of it I would be really happy. So is there
anything fairly simple I can do to up the HP? I don't want spend tons
of time or money but I am willing to do some work this winter. I have
looked on the web but have found precious little about hopping up
outboards except for the really dramatic increases in HP and RPM. I'm
hoping that maybe a larger carb or a different throttle cam or a
thinner head gasket or larger exhaust ports might get me the extra HP
I want. I don't think I have the time to change all the porting. The
exhaust ports are easy to get at but the intake and transfer ports are
not. I'm not looking for much of an increase in RPM, I am instead
looking for an increase in torque so I can use a prop with more pitch.
I have found that a 5 HP motor is fine when it is just me in the boat
but when I have a passenger 10 HP works much better.
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 18:36:56 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Get it running and leave it the heck alone. When you start playing
with outboards..you WILL kill them. Use them as they are rated.

Hate to break the news to you..but get a bigger outboard if you need
one.

My 5hp Gale pushes a 20' 1900 lb boat to hull speed, and that 9.9 will
push a 24' , 2400 lb boat to hullspeed while towing a couple kids on
inner tubes.

Gunner

--
"Living in the United States now is like being a Tampon.
We're in a great place, just at a bad time."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 18:36:56 -0700, wrote:

So now that I have a 4.5 HP outboard that runs well I would like to
hop it up a little. My last outboard was a 10 HP Merc. I liked the
power. I'm pretty sure the 4.5 HP Johnson will leave me a little
underwhelmed. So I'm thinking about hopping it up a little. If I could

It was a good deal, but underpowered? Sounds like life.

get another 2 HP out of it I would be really happy. So is there
anything fairly simple I can do to up the HP? I don't want spend tons
of time or money but I am willing to do some work this winter. I have
looked on the web but have found precious little about hopping up
outboards except for the really dramatic increases in HP and RPM. I'm
hoping that maybe a larger carb or a different throttle cam or a
thinner head gasket or larger exhaust ports might get me the extra HP
I want. I don't think I have the time to change all the porting. The

A port and polish would be the ideal solution, I'll bet. Too bad
there's not time/money for it. Check with local engine builders for
their suggestions on carbs for it. That and an exhaust porting would
probably give you more low end torque. Some older repairman who works
on outboards exclusively will have the knowledge you seek, Eric.

exhaust ports are easy to get at but the intake and transfer ports are
not. I'm not looking for much of an increase in RPM, I am instead
looking for an increase in torque so I can use a prop with more pitch.
I have found that a 5 HP motor is fine when it is just me in the boat
but when I have a passenger 10 HP works much better.

So I guess this is out of the question?
http://www.hothemiheads.com/images/50063.3.jpg

--
Life is an escalator:
You can move forward or backward;
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

The small 1.something to 3 hp engines from many manufacturers vary
only in the higher horsepower models having a larger carburetor. You
might look at that as a start.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Charlie+ wrote:
On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 10:56:11 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote as underneath :

The small 1.something to 3 hp engines from many manufacturers vary
only in the higher horsepower models having a larger carburetor. You
might look at that as a start.

John B. Slocomb - Quote an engine (series) that this is true for
please, you say many ???

Not outboards but this is common practice with many power equipment
makers. Kohler, Briggs and Honda have done it for years.

A company will go to them and say "we need a XX HP engine" They take a
larger unit and stick a different carb or main jet in and get the
requested hp.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote as underneath :

The small 1.something to 3 hp engines from many manufacturers vary
only in the higher horsepower models having a larger carburetor.
You
might look at that as a start.

John B. Slocomb - Quote an engine (series) that this is true for
please, you say many ???

Not outboards but this is common practice with many power equipment
makers. Kohler, Briggs and Honda have done it for years.

A company will go to them and say "we need a XX HP engine" They take
a larger unit and stick a different carb or main jet in and get the
requested hp.
--
Steve W.

Do you know of a good on-line resource for the carbs and jet sizes for
small engines? I couldn't find anything useful concerning the
appropriate main jet sizes for straight versus E10 gas.

Dialup, XP and IE8 are beginning to limit my searching ability, though
the net was never rich in hard technical data beyond what the
manufacturers provide.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote as underneath :

The small 1.something to 3 hp engines from many manufacturers vary
only in the higher horsepower models having a larger carburetor. You
might look at that as a start.

John B. Slocomb - Quote an engine (series) that this is true for
please, you say many ???

Mercury's 2 stroke line 1.5 and 3 HP, and I believe, all of the other
sort of generic 1.4, 1.5, 2,3 HP 2 strokes made by God only knows who
but sold by about every Japanese outboard maker.

Take the cowling off and they are all the same and the parts manuals
show that the only difference between the high power model and the low
power model is the carburetor.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote as underneath :

The small 1.something to 3 hp engines from many manufacturers vary
only in the higher horsepower models having a larger carburetor. You
might look at that as a start.

John B. Slocomb - Quote an engine (series) that this is true for
please, you say many ???

I can because I've been working on one for my neighbor , in the 1984
version of the OMC 9.9/15 hp motors the only major difference is the carb .
His 9.9 motor is now running a gearset from a 15 .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote as underneath :

[...]

Never really looked online. Kohler and Briggs both issued tech sheets on
the changes required to older engines to get them to run on E10/15.
Those may be on their sites.

The basic rule of thumb is the starting point is to drill out fixed jets
by 5-10% over the percentage of ethanol. This is usually still a bit
lean but it gets you close.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 18:36:56 -0700, etpm wrote:

[...]

Put it on Craigslist: "4.5HP Johnson, sell or part trade for 10HP Mercury".

Then buy a 10HP Mercury, and your problems are solved.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 11:23:04 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

[...]

Indeed. Ive got (2) 5hp or bigger motors and am looking for a 2-2.5hp
motor for a third sailboat. The other 2 are simply too big.

--
"Living in the United States now is like being a Tampon.
We're in a great place, just at a bad time."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote as underneath :

[...]

Several years ago one of the boating magazines I read tested the myth about
the Mercury 9.9 and 15 being the same. I think it was Bass & Walleye Boats.
Anyway, after they did the parts swap the 9.9 developed close to but clearly
less than the same power as the 15 they tested against. That could just be
variances among engines or there could be something else, but it did produce
more power. It did not produce as much power as the engine they tested it
against.

I do know there are variances in motors though. I've got a 16' flat bottom
bass/jon with a "bone stock" Merc 50 ELPTO that goes about 15 MPH faster
than everybody says it should. I've had to special order higher pitch props
to keep it from over reving at WOT.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

We've got a 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha on a 14' jon boat for a small lake
near home, Georgetown Lake. It can't unload with the stock prop when
I'm sitting in the stern. Yeah, I'm 265. Goes about 5.5 mph with two
aboard. Plenty on 1300 acres.

Once when I had it out by myself, I locked the tiller, went to 100%,
and got on the middle seat, steering by leaning. You could hear it
unload, went about 9.2 mph. It let the nearly square transom rise to
near level with the water. So a more graceful displacement hull works
a lot better with low power. If I wanted to plane I'd swap for a 15.

What's silly to me are the 250 hp bass rigs roaring around that lake.
They can get on plane for about 30 sec. Mostly, you see that on
weekends, and I don't go on weekends, being retired.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 18:36:56 -0700, wrote:

I would like to
hop it up a little.

==============
see
http://tinyurl.com/ogpepx2
http://tinyurl.com/p6yldfp
http://tinyurl.com/l7la7v9

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 06:18:49 -0500, Pete Keillor
wrote:

You could hear it
unload, went about 9.2 mph. It let the nearly square transom rise to
near level with the water.

You may find the installation of adjustable trim tabs
helpful to get your hull to plane or at least get the nose
down.
http://tinyurl.com/mu4zt5u
http://tinyurl.com/m6e26l3
Shouldn't be to hard for a RCMer to cumshaw a set for a
test/evaluation. Gunner????

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You could hear it
unload, went about 9.2 mph. It let the nearly square transom rise to
near level with the water.

You may find the installation of adjustable trim tabs
helpful to get your hull to plane or at least get the nose
down.
http://tinyurl.com/mu4zt5u
http://tinyurl.com/m6e26l3
Shouldn't be to hard for a RCMer to cumshaw a set for a
test/evaluation. Gunner????

Dad wasn't even an RCMer , and he made a pair for an old boat we had . Two
pairs butt hinges , flathead machine screws , and two pieces of aluminum
plate . Adjustment was with a turnbuckle need 4 eyebolts too with an added
locknut .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You could hear it
unload, went about 9.2 mph. It let the nearly square transom rise to
near level with the water.

You may find the installation of adjustable trim tabs
helpful to get your hull to plane or at least get the nose
down.
http://tinyurl.com/mu4zt5u
http://tinyurl.com/m6e26l3
Shouldn't be to hard for a RCMer to cumshaw a set for a
test/evaluation. Gunner????

Trim tabs really...really make a big difference on small boats. One
can find inexpensive ones on Ebay..or one can simply make up a set
themselves. One can make them fixed..or one can make them adjustable
(which is what I did with a 14' Valco fishing boat). Really makes a
difference.

https://www.google.com/search?q=making+trim+tabs&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=DaM&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ& sa=X&ei=Tsf8U9HZPIG2ogSOtID4DA&ved=0CHIQsAQ&biw=12 80&bih=871

For small boats that arent used to pull skiers...having them fixed or
hand adjustable is easy. Really the only time you need electric trim
tabs is if you are running a huge motor and pulling a load on occasion
at high speeds..like skiers

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

There is another technique that perhaps works. A large trim tab that
clamps on the "anti-cavitation" (I think it is called) plate, the cast
in plate that is just above the propeller. The ones I've seen for a
small engine are, say 10 inches wide and perhaps the same in length
with a turned down trailing edge.

To be honest, some people rave about how well they work and others
sort grimace and say "maybe". But it is an easily made temporary trial
sort of thing and you can buy a commercial one if they work for you.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You could hear it
unload, went about 9.2 mph. It let the nearly square transom rise to
near level with the water.

You may find the installation of adjustable trim tabs
helpful to get your hull to plane or at least get the nose
down.
http://tinyurl.com/mu4zt5u
http://tinyurl.com/m6e26l3
Shouldn't be to hard for a RCMer to cumshaw a set for a
test/evaluation. Gunner????

Dad wasn't even an RCMer , and he made a pair for an old boat we had . Two
pairs butt hinges , flathead machine screws , and two pieces of aluminum
plate . Adjustment was with a turnbuckle need 4 eyebolts too with an added
locknut .

It's not important. I really don't expect a 4hp to plane anything I'm
riding in. Most of the time I run at half throttle. Before I used
trim tabs, I'd put one of these in.
http://www.ezyglide.com/mechanical-s...nical-steering

But that'd screw up fishing, so probably won't. Any number of small
stitch and glue designs would make better use of the motor, but when I
build a boat, it'll be this one.
http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Utilit...scueMinor.html

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 19:19:48 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

I guess I could polish the exhaust ports. I do not want to go to the
trouble of roughing up the intake and transfer ports. And changing the
size of the ports is out too. Probably there is nothing I can do
beyond a good tune up and using good fuel to get significant power
increase. And bolting a V8 Hemi on would make the boat a little too
heavy on the back. But thanks for the suggestion.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

This motor looks like it won't benefit from a larger carb. But I am
looking into it.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, wouldn't that be nice, someone wanting to trade down in HP. I am
not wanting to spend much because I'm already out the cost of the
merc. I have been looking for someone who wants to trade a 7 to 10 HP
motor for a 12 foot aluminum boat, no interest so far.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You could hear it
unload, went about 9.2 mph. It let the nearly square transom rise to
near level with the water.

You may find the installation of adjustable trim tabs
helpful to get your hull to plane or at least get the nose
down.
http://tinyurl.com/mu4zt5u
http://tinyurl.com/m6e26l3
Shouldn't be to hard for a RCMer to cumshaw a set for a
test/evaluation. Gunner????

Greetings George,
Trim tabs look like they could really help. I think I'll cobble up a
pair and see. Thanks.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You could hear it
unload, went about 9.2 mph. It let the nearly square transom rise to
near level with the water.

You may find the installation of adjustable trim tabs
helpful to get your hull to plane or at least get the nose
down.
http://tinyurl.com/mu4zt5u
http://tinyurl.com/m6e26l3
Shouldn't be to hard for a RCMer to cumshaw a set for a
test/evaluation. Gunner????

Dad wasn't even an RCMer , and he made a pair for an old boat we had . Two
pairs butt hinges , flathead machine screws , and two pieces of aluminum
plate . Adjustment was with a turnbuckle need 4 eyebolts too with an added
locknut .

I'm thinking like your dad. I won't use store bought hinges but will
use something close.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 18:04:49 -0700, wrote:

On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 06:45:08 -0500, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 18:36:56 -0700,
wrote:

I would like to
hop it up a little.

==============
see
http://tinyurl.com/ogpepx2
http://tinyurl.com/p6yldfp
http://tinyurl.com/l7la7v9

Greetings George,
Thanks for the links. I do know how to hop up air cooled 2 strokes
that exhaust to the air and have done it more than once in the past.
What I am looking for are methods for increasing the HP of water
cooled motors that exhaust into the water. This limits what can be
done for more power. So I'm looking for information that is specific
to 2 stroke outboards that exhaust underwater. I should have said as
much in my original post. Still, I appreciate your effort to find web
sites and post the links.
Cheers,
Eric

Eric, back when small hydroplane racing was a home-brew hobby, the
kinds of modifications they did to water-cooled engines were not much
different from what they did with go-carts a few years later. I don't
think they 5-ported the water-cooled engines, but they squared the
ports, raised compression, and packed the crankcases to reduce volume.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You could hear it
unload, went about 9.2 mph. It let the nearly square transom rise to
near level with the water.

You may find the installation of adjustable trim tabs
helpful to get your hull to plane or at least get the nose
down.
http://tinyurl.com/mu4zt5u
http://tinyurl.com/m6e26l3
Shouldn't be to hard for a RCMer to cumshaw a set for a
test/evaluation. Gunner????

Greetings George,
Trim tabs look like they could really help. I think I'll cobble up a
pair and see. Thanks.
Eric

Your welcome

In case you missed it, this was in one of the urls
http://tinyurl.com/o8kpeye

Let the group know how it goes. We got quite a few boat
owners in the group and if you can, post a pic or two to the
dropbox at http://www.mwdropbox.com/

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I wonder if a little nitro would help, too. http://tinyurl.com/mzbpfsj
@ Amazon

See if there is a carburetor made for the beastie which would boost
power. That's also a quick bolt-on upgrade.

And bolting a V8 Hemi on would make the boat a little too
heavy on the back. But thanks for the suggestion.

My pleasure.

--
Let no man imagine that he has no influence. Whoever he may be, and
wherever he may be placed, the man who thinks becomes a light and a power.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Being a 2 stroke, a tuned pipe would be the best way to get more
power out of it (along with a lot more noise). Add a larger carb along
with it, and you could likely almost double the horsepower. The tuned
pipe would involve getting rid of the "wet" exhaust.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I know what I would do if it was a dirt bike. But it looks like the
only way to get a significant power increase is to do things I don't
want to do, things that would make the motor much louder. I like the
quiet motor. That quietness comes with a price-lower power. So I'll
live with the lower power until a good deal comes along for a 7.5 or
10 hp motor. I'm gonna keep the 4.5 motor as a spare. I have 3 hp air
cooled motor that rides in the boat as a spare. So maybe I'll get rid
of it when I get another larger motor.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 19:09:41 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 18:05:39 -0700, wrote:

Being a 2 stroke, a tuned pipe would be the best way to get more
power out of it (along with a lot more noise). Add a larger carb along
with it, and you could likely almost double the horsepower. The tuned
pipe would involve getting rid of the "wet" exhaust.

I know what I would do if it was a dirt bike. But it looks like the
only way to get a significant power increase is to do things I don't
want to do, things that would make the motor much louder. I like the
quiet motor. That quietness comes with a price-lower power.

I hear that! (sorry, bad pun)

So I'll
live with the lower power until a good deal comes along for a 7.5 or
10 hp motor. I'm gonna keep the 4.5 motor as a spare. I have 3 hp air
cooled motor that rides in the boat as a spare. So maybe I'll get rid
of it when I get another larger motor.

I think I read you offering an aluminum boat in trade. How about
offering the boat plus the smaller motor for the 10hp you want?
Less clutter, more enjoyment.

The smaller motor runs great. And I have learned not to go out into
the Salish Sea (nee Puget Sound) without a spare motor. Rowing home on
a small lake is one thing, rowing against the wind and current on a
large body of water is entirely another. And having to be towed back
to the dock when a friend's 24 foot cabin cruiser broke down because
the idiot didn't have a spare motor has made me cautious. Even a 3 hp
kicker motor on a 24 foot boat is way better than trying to row it. So
when I go crabbing in my little 12 foot boat I always bring along a
spare. It doesn't take up much room and makes me feel safer.
Eric
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I hear you!! After having the 60 horse engine on a 17 foot boat die in
Murray Harbour PEI, about 2 1/2 miles from shore I won't set foot in a
boat unless it is running PERFECTLY. I was able to walk the boat
around an island and across a sand-bar to within 1/4 mile, then by
tinkering and unlinking the timing from the carb, get it to putt
------ Putt ---- P-P-Putt enough to get back to shore and get the
small boat to go back and get everyone else a few at a time. That
Altlantic water can be COLD in July!!!!.
Then I was with a friend on a reservoir in Zambia when his motor quit.
Crocs. - not getting into THAT water!!!!!

Still better than losing the engine on a plane though. Friend has a
corvette V8 (Robinson Air Power) powered Republic SeaBee -lost the
fanbelt - made it to a lake before the engine blew, but they had to
airlift it out with a helicopter. His bank account may be able to
stand it - but I'd be BROKE. - and it is a large part LUCK that he is
still alive and the plane will LIKELY fly (and float) again!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

http://prescott.craigslist.org/boa/4640597449.html
PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Particularly when one can get a 24' sailboat for less than $1000 and
it will come with an outboard motor

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Put the offer up on Craigslist. You will find someone.

PJ O'Rourke