Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home

Default 1980s detached bungalow house

My house is 1980s built, thin plaster walls, and brown carpets.

I got a couple of large holes in some walls. Some rooms wall paper are
falling off because of condensation. My family wants to glue the loose wall
paper back on, and then paint over the wall paper. I thought about stripping
all wall paper off and painting directly onto the plaster.

What's the best way about doing up the home? Is painting onto the plaster
okay? We're no home DIY professionals. Who should be sought out for?

Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home

"Andrew Wan" wrote in message
My house is 1980s built, thin plaster walls, and brown carpets.

I got a couple of large holes in some walls. Some rooms wall paper are
falling off because of condensation. My family wants to glue the loose
wall paper back on, and then paint over the wall paper. I thought about
stripping all wall paper off and painting directly onto the plaster.

What's the best way about doing up the home? Is painting onto the plaster
okay? We're no home DIY professionals. Who should be sought out for?

Thin plaster or dry wall? Dry wall is easy to repair.

No, No, No ... do not paint over loose wallpaper!

First ... do you have a leaking roof?

Second ... why is there condensation?

Third ... do you want to fix this right? If so, post more information.

Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home
DIY DIY is offline

"Andrew Wan" wrote:
My house is 1980s built, thin plaster walls, and brown carpets.

I got a couple of large holes in some walls. Some rooms wall paper are
falling off because of condensation. My family wants to glue the loose
wall paper back on, and then paint over the wall paper. I thought about
stripping all wall paper off and painting directly onto the plaster.

What's the best way about doing up the home? Is painting onto the plaster
okay? We're no home DIY professionals. Who should be sought out for?

Regarding the large holes, repair will depend on what the walls are made of.
Are they made of plasterboard? Plasterboard sounds hollow when you tap it
with a knuckle, and you will be able to see concrete blocks or bricks
through the holes. It will look awful if you glue loose wallpaper back on
and then paint over the wallpaper. Your idea of removing the wallpaper and
painting the plaster will give a better finish, and is what a decorator
would do. Regarding condensation, for advice on damp:
http://www.axp.mdx.ac.uk/~john49/dampfaq.htm