Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank H

Default Cooking smells coming from other side of semi-detached house - how?

In the basement of our 80ish-year-old semi-detached house, we can often
smell what the neighbours on the other side are cooking in their main
floor kitchen. There is no known opening between the 2 sides of the
house, so I'm wondering how the smells are reaching us. Through the
brick wall? Anyone have any ideas or experience with this? Thought I'd
ask here before starting inquiries next door.

Thanks in advance,
- Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

Does your neighbor have/use a range vent-hood? It's very likely that
the cooking smells are being vented outside and finding their way into
the basement through windows/drafts/cracks/etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ronm

Brick is porous so yes odor can get through. Is the wall finished with
drywall? Was it caulked below the baseboard? The most likely places to
check would be at electrical fixtures and switches etc. Do you have a common
attic? Odors going up from their kitchen lights into the attic and down
through your fixtures. Does their kitchen stove have an exhaust fan vented
to the outside? Just some thoughts, I don't live in a semi.

"Frank H" wrote in message
.. .
In the basement of our 80ish-year-old semi-detached house, we can often
smell what the neighbours on the other side are cooking in their main
floor kitchen. There is no known opening between the 2 sides of the
house, so I'm wondering how the smells are reaching us. Through the brick
wall? Anyone have any ideas or experience with this? Thought I'd ask
here before starting inquiries next door.

Thanks in advance,
- Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Default Cooking smells coming from other side of semi-detached house -...

Do you share a wall, through electric outlets, holes in walls from
plumbing under the sinks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Frank H wrote:
In the basement of our 80ish-year-old semi-detached house, we can
often smell what the neighbours on the other side are cooking in
their main floor kitchen. There is no known opening between the 2
sides of the house, so I'm wondering how the smells are reaching us.
Through the brick wall? Anyone have any ideas or experience with
this? Thought I'd ask here before starting inquiries next door.

Thanks in advance,
- Frank

If it is in the basement, I would suggest two possible issues:

1. Radon elimination vent system.

2. perimeter drain system.

Either of the above may be shared.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank H

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Too sleepy to respond
individually tonight but I will investigate in all the directions you've
pointed out.

All the best,
- Frank

zzzzzzzzzzzz
Posted to alt.home.repair

Get a insulation contractor to pressure test your home. the use a fan
to create positive pressure in your home then use smoke device to look
for air leaks.

not only with this seal up leaks, but save you energy and free you of
neighbor odors