Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Cooking smells coming from other side of semi-detached house - how?

Frank H wrote:
In the basement of our 80ish-year-old semi-detached house, we can
often smell what the neighbours on the other side are cooking in
their main floor kitchen. There is no known opening between the 2
sides of the house, so I'm wondering how the smells are reaching us.
Through the brick wall? Anyone have any ideas or experience with
this? Thought I'd ask here before starting inquiries next door.

Thanks in advance,
- Frank

If it is in the basement, I would suggest two possible issues:

1. Radon elimination vent system.

2. perimeter drain system.

Either of the above may be shared.

--