Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rebels start a WWII tank right on the monument

Kind of amazing video, separatists in the Ukraine start a WWII tank
right on the monument where it sat for very many years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LStWb09xtPI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15251 on Sun, 15 Jun
2014 19:40:57 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Kind of amazing video, separatists in the Ukraine start a WWII tank
right on the monument where it sat for very many years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LStWb09xtPI

Dey build 'em robust in old country.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15251 wrote:

Kind of amazing video, separatists in the Ukraine start a WWII tank
right on the monument where it sat for very many years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LStWb09xtPI

Somebody was doing some maintenance on it, or the pistons would have been
frozen in the rusted cylinders. But, I didn't hear it "start", all
I saw and heard was it running on the starter drive and blowing huge
clouds of oil mist. One cylinder might have fired a couple of times,
maybe. Probably the valves are sticking open.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 19:40:57 -0500, Ignoramus15251
wrote:

Kind of amazing video, separatists in the Ukraine start a WWII tank
right on the monument where it sat for very many years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LStWb09xtPI

Looks like they simply parked on the slab, and welded the hatches
shut.

Most US vehicles are stripped before parking

Not all..but most. Some are driven then welded closed

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 20:10:51 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Ignoramus15251 on Sun, 15 Jun
2014 19:40:57 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Kind of amazing video, separatists in the Ukraine start a WWII tank
right on the monument where it sat for very many years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LStWb09xtPI

Dey build 'em robust in old country.
--
pyotr filipivich

What were they doing with this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_aDMqFrUV8

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-16, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus15251 wrote:

Kind of amazing video, separatists in the Ukraine start a WWII tank
right on the monument where it sat for very many years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LStWb09xtPI

Somebody was doing some maintenance on it, or the pistons would have been
frozen in the rusted cylinders. But, I didn't hear it "start", all
I saw and heard was it running on the starter drive and blowing huge
clouds of oil mist. One cylinder might have fired a couple of times,
maybe. Probably the valves are sticking open.

Jon

I listened carefully.

I think that what happened is that it did start running, but not on
all cylinders.

It also seems that smoke ws coming from the cab and that the "crew"
had to abanon the cab due to smoke.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Kind of amazing video, separatists in the Ukraine start a WWII tank
right on the monument where it sat for very many years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LStWb09xtPI

Looks like they simply parked on the slab, and welded the hatches
shut.

Most US vehicles are stripped before parking

Not all..but most. Some are driven then welded closed

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"

That is how they shipped a lot of their hardware to other countries as
"scrap metal" as well. The equipment would have any ammo removed and
drain the fuel, then weld the access areas shut. Takes about 3 hours to
grind the welds free.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Sun, 15 Jun 2014
22:17:40 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:

Ignoramus15251 on Sun, 15 Jun
2014 19:40:57 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Kind of amazing video, separatists in the Ukraine start a WWII tank
right on the monument where it sat for very many years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LStWb09xtPI

Dey build 'em robust in old country.

In Mudder Russia?

What was that thing, a 12-cylinder hitting on about 4?

I suspect they didn't install a new battery, check the oil level,
then just jump in and turn the key. (It is a Josef Stalin tank,
probably end of the war or immediately after wars.)

And yes, in Mudder Russia, they built them robust. As the joke
went "Soviet Technology is like Mickey Mouse Watch. You drop it, it
stops running, you pick it up, shake it, and it starts running again."
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." on Mon, 16 Jun 2014 08:18:23 -0400
wrote:

Kind of amazing video, separatists in the Ukraine start a WWII tank
right on the monument where it sat for very many years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LStWb09xtPI

Looks like they simply parked on the slab, and welded the hatches
shut.

Most US vehicles are stripped before parking

Not all..but most. Some are driven then welded closed

That is how they shipped a lot of their hardware to other countries as
"scrap metal" as well. The equipment would have any ammo removed and
drain the fuel, then weld the access areas shut. Takes about 3 hours to
grind the welds free.

I suspect, we are seeing the final "Okeh, try it now Ivan!" when
all the work came together, and it finally started. It wasn't a
situation when they plopped a new battery in it, check the oil and
fuel level and hit the starter button.

Judging from that white smoke, I at first thought "gasoline
engine" with some oil in the system. But as it was a diesel engine -
there's other reasons, few good, for that color exhaust.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Is that from the era of dual fuel diesels that start cold on gas and
switch to diesel after they warm up a bit?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The rings probably had taken a set and were running in a rusty bore.

Which..could clean up..or simply blow by.

Though to be fair..Ive seen more old diesel engines smoke for a bit
after a long setting period..then clean right up, than not.

--
pyotr filipivich

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Mon, 16 Jun 2014 18:32:28 -0700

wrote:

[...]

Regardless, after sitting so long "Dey built 'em robust in old
days."
From the video, I wandered about a bit. The Brits have a Tiger
tank, and they were demonstrating how to crank start one of them. Just
wind the spring up, then trip the leaver to turn it over.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." on Mon, 16 Jun 2014 13:37:38 -0500
Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

"Muzha b'its" - Could possibly be. We're talking a tank
originally designed during the Great Patriotic War, but revamped over
the course of the service life (through the fifties iirc).
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

I worked at a plant that had a lot of Russian equipment from the
1950's and 60's and it was robust. The diesel engines all had at least
two starting systems installed. Usually a normal electric starting
motor and a "pony engine" and some of the pony engines had both an
electric starter and a hand crank :-)

A lot of the engines were obvious copies of U.S. stuff. I remember an,
as far as I could tell, direct copy of the old Cat D-7, 4 cylinder
engine and a couple of trucks had such close copies of the Detroit
Diesel 6-71 that the Detroit parts interchanged.
--
Cheers,

John B.
(gmail=invalid)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

White diesel smoke == unburned fuel.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Just like my Kubota when I don't preheat the glow plugs long enough.
Does the tank engine use glow plugs or something similar?

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

it is not really glow plugs, just lack of ignition of fuel -- causes
white smoke. Not working glow plugs is just one reason why fuel would
not burn.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12855 on Tue, 17 Jun
2014 18:05:01 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:

[...]

Glow plugs are to help with the starting. But in theory, a diesel
engine doesn't need them. Compress the fuel air mix to the right
pressure and "boom" it ignites.
So, that white smoke of unburned fuel - something else isn't
working. The Cylinders aren't holding pressure?

pyotr filipivich

Rebels admit gas attack result of mishandling chemical weapons Gunner Asch[_6_] Metalworking 3 September 4th 13 07:36 AM
WWII medals - a way OTT I know ! robgraham UK diy 13 November 8th 11 11:11 PM
If you'll join Brion's monument with minds, it'll precisely inherit the yogi. Vance Home Repair 0 December 10th 07 12:26 AM
WWII! Toller Woodworking 36 September 6th 06 11:19 PM
I want to build a yard monument [email protected] Home Repair 1 July 8th 06 08:47 AM