Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Girly Men Live Longer -- N P R

"Girly men live longer" according to NPR piece
-- joievivre@joievivre

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/24/134827...about-broccoli
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Girly men live longer" according to NPR piece
-- joievivre@joievivre

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/24/134827...about-broccoli

You might as well start wearing dresses, and carry a purse. Oh, you
already did that!

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 19 May 2014
19:12:32 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:

"Girly men live longer" according to NPR piece
-- joievivre@joievivre

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/24/134827...about-broccoli

You might as well start wearing dresses, and carry a purse. Oh, you
already did that!

Girly men live longer, because they do nothing which might be
manly - like taking risks.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, May 19, 2014 7:12:32 PM UTC-4, Michael Terrell wrote:
wrote:

"Girly men live longer" according to NPR piece

-- joievivre@joievivre

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/24/134827...about-broccoli

You might as well start wearing dresses, and carry a purse. Oh, you

already did that!

Wrong. I never once did any of that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Girly men live longer" according to NPR piece
-- joievivre@joievivre

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/24/134827...about-broccoli

You might as well start wearing dresses, and carry a purse. Oh, you
already did that!

Girly men live longer, because they do nothing which might be
manly - like taking risks.
--
pyotr filipivich

Well there is that pesky HIV/Aids thing..and rectal cancer.....

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

As our graduate students looked over the initial statistical findings on
personality and long life, they gasped and laughed as they read the
results: "Howard, that sounds like you!" The findings clearly revealed
that the best childhood personality predictor of longevity was
conscientiousness – the qualities of a prudent, persistent,
well-organized person, like a scientist-professor – somewhat obsessive
and not at all carefree.

It was not cheerfulness and it was not having a sociable personality
that predicted long life across the ensuing many decades. Certain other
factors were also relevant, but the prudent, dependable children lived
the longest. The strength of this finding was unexpected, but it proved
to be a very important and enduring one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 20 May 2014 14:43:51 -0700

wrote:

"Girly men live longer" according to NPR piece
-- joievivre@joievivre
http://www.npr.org/2011/03/24/134827...about-broccoli
You might as well start wearing dresses, and carry a purse. Oh, you
already did that!

Girly men live longer, because they do nothing which might be
manly - like taking risks.

Well there is that pesky HIV/Aids thing..and rectal cancer.....

I wouldn't know - totally outside my fund of knowledge or area of
concern.
But that not the same as avoiding the manly arts.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/21/2014 9:23 PM, David R. Birch wrote:

If wise means living so carefully that you do nothing memorable, I
prefer the memories I have of imprudence.

David

It looks like maybe three people arguing in this thread actually read
the article.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There is a joke about this:
Guy visits the doctor.
Doctor tells him to quit smoking, drinking, and chasing women.
Guy asks the doctor, "If I quit those things, will I live longer?"
Doctor says, "No, but it will seem like it."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R. Birch" wrote in :

On 5/21/2014 7:30 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
"David R. Birch" wrote in
:
"Prudent, persistent, planful people"...sounds like they got old
early.

To me, it sounds like they got *wise* early.

If wise means living so carefully that you do nothing memorable, I
prefer the memories I have of imprudence.

It doesn't mean that. While the consequences of imprudence are frequently quite memorable,
the two are not synonymous. Dangerous experiences are memorable -- we're hard-wired that
way for self-preservation -- but the converse is not so. One need not place oneself, or others,
in danger to have memorable experiences.