Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Arbor Press

Ok, for the first time ever I used the right tool for the job. I routinely
set alignment pins in aluminum plates for some parts I make. What I have
found works fairly well in the past is to set one plate with a slip fit size
hole on top of the plate with the friction fit hole and use a piece of
aluminum stock as a drift to smack the pin in with a hammer. By doing it
that way it actually works pretty well and goes in pretty straight.

Today I used a 3 ton arbor press now that I finally own one. It was both
easier and harder than I thought. Once I got used to how much force I
really had to exert on the lever they went in straight and fast with little
fuss. What surprised me was how much force I had to actually use on the
lever. I probably could have gotten by indefinitely without one, but I've
started making a part that uses a press fit solid pin as a hinge pin. I am
hoping I can quickly assemble the parts with the press. The
hammer/guide/drift method does not work easily for the hinge pin assembly.