Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kennedy Kennedy is offline

Default Arbor Press

On 10-Apr-14 12:18 PM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Ok, for the first time ever I used the right tool for the job. I
routinely set alignment pins in aluminum plates for some parts I make.
What I have found works fairly well in the past is to set one plate with a
slip fit size hole on top of the plate with the friction fit hole and use
a piece of aluminum stock as a drift to smack the pin in with a hammer.
By doing it that way it actually works pretty well and goes in pretty
straight.

Today I used a 3 ton arbor press now that I finally own one. It was both
easier and harder than I thought. Once I got used to how much force I
really had to exert on the lever they went in straight and fast with
little fuss. What surprised me was how much force I had to actually use
on the lever. I probably could have gotten by indefinitely without one,
but I've started making a part that uses a press fit solid pin as a hinge
pin. I am hoping I can quickly assemble the parts with the press. The
hammer/guide/drift method does not work easily for the hinge pin assembly.

I've been using an old delta bench drill press with a pin punch in the chuck
to press 3/16" dowells into aluminum plate for many many years now...very
nice to have the handle raise back up automatically. Guessing we typically
press 100 pins or so per day using this method, it goes pretty quick.

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...es/12320-A.jpg

Nice old drill press, much better than a lot of the crap around these days.

I stuck a gas strut scavenged from a large old photocopier on the side
of my arbor press for the auto return. Beats lifting the lever back up
every time.