Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sanford SG 48 Surface Grinder Info Needed

Hi All,

I recently bought a small bench top Sanford Surface Grinder, model SG 48. I believe this is the smallest model they made at the time. It came without a motor or bracket for mounting the motor. Would any of you have a sense of how the motor should mount and what the RPM of the motor should be. From the literature I downloaded it seems the motor mounted somehow on the back of the machine, but there are no photos that I could find. Does the motor move vertically with turning of the hand wheel? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Al
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-03-27, wrote:
Hi All,

I recently bought a small bench top Sanford Surface Grinder, model SG
48. I believe this is the smallest model they made at the time. It
came without a motor or bracket for mounting the motor. Would any of
you have a sense of how the motor should mount and what the RPM of the
motor should be. From the literature I downloaded it seems the motor
mounted somehow on the back of the machine, but there are no photos that
I could find. Does the motor move vertically with turning of the hand
wheel? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, the motor moves with the vertical feed handwheel. There
are slots to allow adjustment so the belt tension is correct.

I've just photograped mine (which needs more cleaning after a
fire last year -- at least back on the motor side).

Here are two views from the back:

http://www.d-and-d.com/misc/MANUALS/Sanford/MOTOR-MOUNT/index.html

Look like it will be a fun job to fabricate without a casting,
especially the curve which hugs the motor OD.

3450 RPM, 1/6 HP single phase 110 VAC.

From what I have been told, you get a smoother grind finish with
a three phase motor, powered by true three phase (e.g. from a VFD).

While you are about it, back up one level in the URL:

http://www.d-and-d.com/misc/MANUALS/Sanford/index.html

and you can download a scan of what may be the last manual sent out by
they before they closed. (Along with some flyers.) Note that it is
quite slow to view, so best if you download the full PDF file and view
it locally.

PDF page 11 (no printed page number) has photos of many of the
parts, with 19 at the top being the motor bracket.

There is also a section on how I re-wired the power supply in
the base for the electric magnetic clutch.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 06:47:35 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Hi All,

I recently bought a small bench top Sanford Surface Grinder, model SG 48. I believe this is the smallest model they made at the time. It came without a motor or bracket for mounting the motor. Would any of you have a sense of how the motor should mount and what the RPM of the motor should be. From the literature I downloaded it seems the motor mounted somehow on the back of the machine, but there are no photos that I could find. Does the motor move vertically with turning of the hand wheel? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Al

This one?

http://www.plastikosmd.com/Default.a...ntentPageID=52

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 at 9:47:35 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi All,

I recently bought a small bench top Sanford Surface Grinder, model SG 48. I believe this is the smallest model they made at the time. It came without a motor or bracket for mounting the motor. Would any of you have a sense of how the motor should mount and what the RPM of the motor should be. From the literature I downloaded it seems the motor mounted somehow on the back of the machine, but there are no photos that I could find. Does the motor move vertically with turning of the hand wheel? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Al

Al would you be interested in selling the grinder?