Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default When is a flap disc worn out?

I have a flap disc for my 4-1/2" grinder. It has stopped grinding
because the grit is gone on the exposed flap. I thought the flaps were
supposed to wear down & expose more grit. There is plenty of flap left.

home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/DSCF0989.JPG
home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/DSCF0990.JPG

Do I have to expose more flap by directly removing the used part? If
so, how?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/13/2014 2:48 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I have a flap disc for my 4-1/2" grinder. It has stopped grinding
because the grit is gone on the exposed flap. I thought the flaps were
supposed to wear down & expose more grit. There is plenty of flap left.

home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/DSCF0989.JPG
home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/DSCF0990.JPG

Do I have to expose more flap by directly removing the used part? If
so, how?

Thanks,
Bob

Here are a few links to some info I found about flap wheels, hope this
helps.

http://weldingweb.com/archive/index.php/t-60605.html

http://www.ctsmag.com/index.php/comp...-and-more.html

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8719

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/13/2014 11:48 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I have a flap disc for my 4-1/2" grinder. It has stopped grinding
because the grit is gone on the exposed flap. I thought the flaps were
supposed to wear down & expose more grit. There is plenty of flap left.

home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/DSCF0989.JPG
home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/DSCF0990.JPG

Do I have to expose more flap by directly removing the used part? If
so, how?

Thanks,
Bob

I use them until I start smelling rubber and getting the white smoke.

Nah. But, they can be used to different degrees depending on the amount
of grit needed, the position, and the fineness of the work. It's just a
booger to toss the expensive little devils without getting the last bit
of work out of them, isn't it.

Steve Bulicz
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide