Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PCS PCS is offline

Default Dedicated machine for collet slotting?

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:09:03 AM UTC-5, robobass wrote:
On further thought, maybe I could mount a small motor fitted with a slotting saw to my lathe carriage or compound, and mount an indexing wheel to the back of the spindle. This seems like it could be done cheaply if I could find the right parts.

Hi Robert,

Or an arbor in the lathe's chuck with the slotting saw, and an indexing fixture mounted on the cross slide or compound. You did not say what type collet, so hard to help with the fixture, but no extra motor would be needed then. Hex stock makes for an easy indexing fixture if it fits your needs.

Delrin should be easy enough to slot, just don't melt it by going too fast.
I imagine de-burring is going to be tricky, best to avoid burrs in the first place.

If I had to do it, I'd use the small Burke #4 horizontal mill that I've got..

G'luck.

--
PaulS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps96fe92fb.jpg

Yes, that makes sense. From the photo you can see it's a very simple slotting operation. I wouldn't be doing the tapered thread you see there. I haven't decided on four or six slits, so a hex or square rod would be enough for indexing. I still can't quite visualize the fixture involved, but perhaps it could be as simple as a bracket mounted to the compound which holds a square or hex block center-bored and threaded to accept the threads on the collet. That would be cheap enough!!!
Thanks

Bison 5C collet chuck vs. Kalamazoo 1CC collet chuck vs. drawtube/ collet closer Louis Ohland Metalworking 2 August 2nd 07 02:35 AM
Slotting trees Steve B Woodworking 1 July 4th 06 08:50 PM
Stuck Millling Machine Collet Jeff Metalworking 4 January 28th 06 04:40 PM
Max RMP for slotting cutter Jon Elson Metalworking 4 September 12th 04 05:06 PM
Slotting speed Bob May Metalworking 3 August 9th 03 08:41 AM