Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PCS PCS is offline

Default Dedicated machine for collet slotting?

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:09:03 AM UTC-5, robobass wrote:
On further thought, maybe I could mount a small motor fitted with a slotting saw to my lathe carriage or compound, and mount an indexing wheel to the back of the spindle. This seems like it could be done cheaply if I could find the right parts.

Hi Robert,

Or an arbor in the lathe's chuck with the slotting saw, and an indexing fixture mounted on the cross slide or compound. You did not say what type collet, so hard to help with the fixture, but no extra motor would be needed then. Hex stock makes for an easy indexing fixture if it fits your needs.

Delrin should be easy enough to slot, just don't melt it by going too fast.
I imagine de-burring is going to be tricky, best to avoid burrs in the first place.

If I had to do it, I'd use the small Burke #4 horizontal mill that I've got..

G'luck.

--
PaulS