Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How To Read A Smashed Hard Drive

Here is why you're a ****ing moron if you think smashing your hard drive is a good answer to protecting your data from someone determined enough to read it.

You're also a ****ing moron if you believe iggy is some kind a computer expert.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...drive-14877558

"Yes, physically destroying a hard drive renders your device and the data on it unusable. But with enough motivation and the right equipment—and the F.B.I. has both—some of your data can be recovered. Dan Kaminsky, chief scientist of security firm DKH, says 100 percent physical data destruction is nearly impossible. The only method that comes close is overwriting the disk.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"jon_banquer" wrote in message
Here is why you're a ****ing moron if you think smashing your hard
drive is a good answer to protecting your data from someone determined
enough to read it.

You're also a ****ing moron if you believe iggy is some kind a
computer expert.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...drive-14877558

"Yes, physically destroying a hard drive renders your device and the
data on it unusable. But with enough motivation and the right
equipment-and the F.B.I. has both-some of your data can be recovered.
Dan Kaminsky, chief scientist of security firm DKH, says 100 percent
physical data destruction is nearly impossible. The only method that
comes close is overwriting the disk.
===
with acetylene.

An aluminum foundry will fershure wipe that data ... Sweejesus Jon , if
the disc is physically destroyed the drive is unreadable .
--
Snag
Now Watch Jonny-boi

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/25/14, 7:17 PM, jon_banquer wrote:
Here is why you're a ****ing moron if you think smashing your hard drive is a good answer to protecting your data from someone determined enough to read it.

You're also a ****ing moron if you believe iggy is some kind a computer expert.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...drive-14877558

"Yes, physically destroying a hard drive renders your device and the data on it unusable. But with enough motivation and the right equipment—and the F.B.I. has both—some of your data can be recovered. Dan Kaminsky, chief scientist of security firm DKH, says 100 percent physical data destruction is nearly impossible. The only method that comes close is overwriting the disk.

Haven't really been following this thread... but hard drives can be made
100% unreadable.

Some use Aluminum platters, and other glass... just disassemble, remove,
and melt down the platters. I'm sure it could be done without
disassembly, but would be a smoky, loathsome & messy chore.

Yes, determined enough is a huge factor. And yes it takes immense
amounts of motivation, time, equipment and money to recover info from a
merely busted up drive... and any data recovered will not approach 100%.
However, probably not much of a concern unless your someone the
government or law enforcement is after.

Personally, I just clamp drives in the vise, beat[1] with a hand sledge
and mangle with the enormous channel-locks, being sure few if any
portions of the platters remain flat... and in the trash they go. CDR's
& DVD's get cut into several pieces with tin snips... documents I worry
a little more about. I shred and hold till I'm around & hear the trash
truck, then spread them around loose in the can... so no one will have a
tidy bag containing all the pieces. Yes, they could be picked out of the
truck, but loose & scattered makes the process a huge undertaking.

(Incidentally, I once caught a competitor going through my trash...)

Erik

[1] Wear a face shield!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Just take the disk off the drive - looks like a Doctors reflector on his
head. Use a hammer and do a dance all around

Scratch it with a awl or other nasty. Put it in a fire. Melt it down.

Lots of ways to take a disk apart.

Overwriting it won't always erase. We used to run 10 patterns to
quality a disk and afterwards we had to format the disk.

Martin

On 1/25/2014 10:25 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, January 25, 2014 8:25:53 PM UTC-8, Terry Coombs wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:

[...]

Yet another worthless loser who claims I'm kill filed but some how finds a way to respond to what I post.

Truly amazing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn fired this volley in
:

Overwriting it won't always erase. We used to run 10 patterns to
quality a disk and afterwards we had to format the disk.

Low-level formatting will. Always. Martin, actually, that was a silly
example.

There's no reason why a drive with the defective media locations already
mapped would ever need formatting after a checkerboard test.

Perhaps the whole reason for your 10-pattern test was to identify the
defects, then to format with a new defect map.???

On some drives, rather than a stored defect map, defective sectors are
'jumped' over via a linkage table built right into the individual sector
headers. Those sorts MUST be formatted in a way to reflect the bad spots
on the medium.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

[...]

Go **** yourself Jon . I had to reinstall the OS on this my desktop comp
after bringing it to our new home because my son's family used it and loaded
it with virii . And I wasn't responding to you but to someone that responded
to you .
From what I've seen you're the loser ...
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

[...]

From what I've seen you're the loser ...

--

Snag

You're a phony and a liar, Coombs. You read everything I post and you constantly make excuses for doing so.

I own you, bitch.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...

On some drives, rather than a stored defect map, defective sectors
are
'jumped' over via a linkage table built right into the individual
sector
headers. Those sorts MUST be formatted in a way to reflect the bad
spots
on the medium.

LLoyd

This describes the process:
http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry...id=mcgn-3n3k7b

Initially bad sectors are recorded in the P-List and skipped as the
sectors are sequentially numbered. Bad sectors that appear after the
sector addresses have been written go into the G-list so that a seek
to them is redirected to a spare sector located elsewhere, which slows
down disk access time. The operating system can also link bad sectors
into a dummy file.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-01-26, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"jon_banquer" wrote in message
Here is why you're a ****ing moron if you think smashing your hard
drive is a good answer to protecting your data from someone determined
enough to read it.

You're also a ****ing moron if you believe iggy is some kind a
computer expert.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...drive-14877558

"Yes, physically destroying a hard drive renders your device and the
data on it unusable. But with enough motivation and the right
equipment?and the F.B.I. has both?some of your data can be recovered.
Dan Kaminsky, chief scientist of security firm DKH, says 100 percent
physical data destruction is nearly impossible. The only method that
comes close is overwriting the disk.
===
with acetylene.

Actually, this article from Nov. 2013 says that his hard drive
contents have not been recovered.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4339399.html
http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.c...ses-challenge/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A non-person of no consequence wrote:
You're also a ****ing moron if you believe iggy is some kind a
computer expert.

Actually, anyone who'd refer to deallocating buffer space after a run
(rather than hoping the OS would just 'handle it') as "being a nice guy"
has got to have SOME experience writing serious software in "C". Expert?
I dunno. Capable, yes, or at least attentive, clearly.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:05:39 AM UTC-8, Ignoramus15922 wrote:
On 2014-01-26, Jim Wilkins wrote:

[...]

"Chris Bross is a senior engineer at Drive Savers -- a company which tries to recover data from erased or damaged hard drives. He told NBC News that in his two decades on the job, he has successfully extracted information from hard drives damaged intentionally by being hit with a hammer, shot or run over with a car."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:21:00 AM UTC-8, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
A non-person of no consequence wrote:

You're also a ****ing moron if you believe iggy is some kind a

computer expert.

Actually, anyone who'd refer to deallocating buffer space after a run

(rather than hoping the OS would just 'handle it') as "being a nice guy"

has got to have SOME experience writing serious software in "C". Expert?

I dunno. Capable, yes, or at least attentive, clearly.

Lloyd

"A non-person of no consequence wrote:"

People don't respond to a "non-person of no consequence" they just ignore them, Loud.

That you and many others can't ignore me speaks volumes about what I have to say.

You're dead to me. :)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jon_banquer wrote:

nothing of any consequence

**** off and die

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, January 26, 2014 7:08:38 AM UTC-8, Terry Coombs wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:

nothing of any consequence

**** off and die

Thanks for continuing to prove my point that you're both a liar and a loser, Coombs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/25/2014 7:17 PM, jon_banquer wrote:
Here is why you're a ****ing moron if you think smashing your hard drive is a good answer to protecting your data from someone determined enough to read it.

You're also a ****ing moron if you believe iggy is some kind a computer expert.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...drive-14877558

"Yes, physically destroying a hard drive renders your device and the data on it unusable. But with enough motivation and the right equipment—and the F.B.I. has both—some of your data can be recovered. Dan Kaminsky, chief scientist of security firm DKH, says 100 percent physical data destruction is nearly impossible. The only method that comes close is overwriting the disk.

Quote:
Recovery engineers remove the disk, which is stored on a platter, and
put it on a larger, dedicated reader.

If you can do that, you didn't destroy/smash the disk.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 09:08:38 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:

nothing of any consequence

**** off and die

Exactly. I wish people would all just plonk him and forget him.

--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.

Too bad -none- of the current CONgresscritters are willing to do that. -LJ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:

nothing of any consequence

**** off and die

Exactly. I wish people would all just plonk him and forget him.

I did just that... last night.

Erik

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:

nothing of any consequence

**** off and die

Exactly. I wish people would all just plonk him and forget him.

--

I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during

my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.

-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Count Diodati, 1807

Too bad -none- of the current CONgresscritters are willing to do that. -LJ

I often take the time to spell out the specifics that Mark Wieber clique of idiot followers like Larry Jackass can't spell out. Mark Wieber clique of idiots followers don't have the CNC machining and CADCAM knowledge I have and it just kills them. These idiots have never learned to think on their own.

Reading Larry Jackass have to constantly beg people to kill file me gives me nothing but pleasure. :)

It's time for Larry Jackass to get back on his knees and do what he does best... blow Mark Wieber some more.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:

nothing of any consequence

**** off and die

Exactly. I wish people would all just plonk him and forget him.

He's back in the bozobin , this is the first time he's posted since I
wiped this comp and reinstalled the OS . I don't think he likes me very much
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:

nothing of any consequence

**** off and die

Exactly. I wish people would all just plonk him and forget him.

He's back in the bozobin , this is the first time he's posted since I

wiped this comp and reinstalled the OS . I don't think he likes me very much

Snag

I'm always magically popping out of your kill file, Coombs. You continue to make every excuse known to man for why this keeps happening over and over and over.

It's clear I own you. :)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" fired this volley in
:

He's back in the bozobin , this is the first time he's posted since
wiped this comp and reinstalled the OS . I don't think he likes me
very much

Terry, he hates everyone, including himself. Maybe even especially
himself.

In cattle country, we have a name for folks who deliberately attack
everyone they contact -- "No longer a problem."

If he had even a scrap of human decency, he'd commit suicide. The world
would be better for it; and even he would be better for it.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, January 26, 2014 3:39:42 PM UTC-8, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"Terry Coombs" fired this volley in

:

He's back in the bozobin , this is the first time he's posted since

wiped this comp and reinstalled the OS . I don't think he likes me

very much

Terry, he hates everyone, including himself. Maybe even especially

himself.

In cattle country, we have a name for folks who deliberately attack

everyone they contact -- "No longer a problem."

If he had even a scrap of human decency, he'd commit suicide. The world

would be better for it; and even he would be better for it.

Lloyd

Why would I want to commit suicide and give Loud a free pass? No one gets a free pass.

Loud never learned that you just can't keep a good man down. :)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-01-26, mike wrote:
[...]

I do believe that it is possible to restore some small pieces of
information/files on scattered pieces from a shattered, crushed hard
drive. (Most of those pieces were pea sized, in my case.)

However, the cost of restoration will likely be prohibitive, and
whatever pieces can be restored, likely will not be the pieces that
the attacker needs. Also, given that filesystem information likely
resides on pieces other than what contains files, just restoring some
file contents would not tell the attacker what is that file and where
it was.

It would be cheaper to kidnap and torture me, than to restore a
crushed hard drive to get some specific information, like my SSH keys.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, January 26, 2014 3:48:40 PM UTC-8, Ignoramus15922 wrote:
On 2014-01-26, mike wrote:

[...]

It's cheaper and easier to make fun of you because you often show yourself to be a complete moron with no clues... like in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX4r5Rn65tQ

You video already has two thumbs down and I didn't even vote yet. :) I did leave you this comment:

Poorly fixtured. Poorly filmed. As lame as it gets. It's clear why you're in the scrap business rather than in the machining business.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've formatted hard drives since they were 2 megabyte on a double sided
12" hard disk. Have used a 36" vertically mounted hard disk that
creates a gyroscope effect when running. They - the 2Meg DEC and DG
disks required many pass testing and formatting to erase. Yet when
security was had, the disk was cut. The testing mapped bad blocks
using many patterns to improve testing.

I'm talking Secret to top secret grade company and military disks.

Security took the Military disks (they were formatted different from
civi types ) and Security (aka police) destroyed them their way.

They had fun - fire, rifle, pistol. Some just bent the disk.

So my 'silly example' is factual and you have a short experience
to say such.

Martin

Martin Eastburn fired this volley in
:

Overwriting it won't always erase. We used to run 10 patterns to
quality a disk and afterwards we had to format the disk.

Low-level formatting will. Always. Martin, actually, that was a silly
example.

There's no reason why a drive with the defective media locations already
mapped would ever need formatting after a checkerboard test.

Perhaps the whole reason for your 10-pattern test was to identify the
defects, then to format with a new defect map.???

On some drives, rather than a stored defect map, defective sectors are
'jumped' over via a linkage table built right into the individual sector
headers. Those sorts MUST be formatted in a way to reflect the bad spots
on the medium.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-01-26, Erik wrote:
[...]

I've heard a description of a bunch of GIs being assigned to a
particular task. They were put in the command of a group of MPs. Eyes
front the whole time.

They were driven out into the desert, and each handed a shovel
and told to dig a hole so deep by so wide. When done, come back for the
next step.

Handed a disk drive (carefully checked off and recorded by
serial number) and a bag.

Place drive in bottom of hole.

Place bag on top.

While a MP observes, light the ribbon sticking out of the bag,
and step back.

Wait until the thermite burns out.

Demonstrate the slag to the MP. (Probably turn it over with the
shovel to see what the drive looked like after this. :-) MP
checks off last box beside that serial number.

Shovel the dirt back into the hole.

All driven back, and released for whatever was in line for them
next.

Yes, determined enough is a huge factor. And yes it takes immense

[ ... ]

Personally, I just clamp drives in the vise, beat[1] with a hand sledge
and mangle with the enormous channel-locks, being sure few if any
portions of the platters remain flat... and in the trash they go.

Sounds like a nice stress relief operation. :-)

CDR's
& DVD's get cut into several pieces with tin snips...

If you want a light show, take a block of styrofoam and cut
slots into it to hold several CDs or DVDs on edge, and place in a
microwave oven. Run on high for about ten seconds. (Better not to use
the one which is used for food in the break room. :-) If you do it in a
darkened room, you'll see a nice little light show.

I don't know how much can be recovered from this -- but if I were
*serious* about it, I would then hit it with the tin snips -- or
perhaps run an orbital sander over the surface. :-)

documents I worry
a little more about. I shred and hold till I'm around & hear the trash
truck, then spread them around loose in the can... so no one will have a
tidy bag containing all the pieces. Yes, they could be picked out of the
truck, but loose & scattered makes the process a huge undertaking.

(Incidentally, I once caught a competitor going through my trash...)

What did you do -- just wish him luck? :-) (After all your
precautions, it sounds like he would not get anything. :-) (Or, you
could plant some imperfectly destroyed disinformation in there, kind of
like the Japanese and the stolen capacitor electrolyte formula which the
Chinese and Koreans tried to use. I don't know whether that was truly
disinformation, or just plain incompetence somewhere along the chain. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-01-26, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Martin Eastburn fired this volley in
:

Overwriting it won't always erase. We used to run 10 patterns to
quality a disk and afterwards we had to format the disk.

Low-level formatting will. Always. Martin, actually, that was a silly
example.

Actually -- thermal variations may cause the heads to be offset
a fraction of a track width from one time to the other, and with the
right tools (and a disassembled drive) it is possible to recover data
from the fringes like that. The multiple patterns are to both increase
the chances of overwriting any given pattern, and a chance to have
different track offsets be used to be sure. At a minimum, alternating
0xAAAA and 0x5555 patterns result in each bit position being written as
a one and a zero. Other patterns might make it more difficult to
recover from fringe data left from the first two basic patterns.

There's no reason why a drive with the defective media locations already
mapped would ever need formatting after a checkerboard test.

Perhaps the whole reason for your 10-pattern test was to identify the
defects, then to format with a new defect map.???

More likely to be sure that the fringes of the tracks were fully
overwritten. Start off with the drive cool, and let the heads drift as
it heats up.

On some drives, rather than a stored defect map, defective sectors are
'jumped' over via a linkage table built right into the individual sector
headers. Those sorts MUST be formatted in a way to reflect the bad spots
on the medium.

A real pain in some cases.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What did you do -- just wish him luck? :-) (After all your
precautions, it sounds like he would not get anything. :-) (Or, you
could plant some imperfectly destroyed disinformation in there, kind of
like the Japanese and the stolen capacitor electrolyte formula which the
Chinese and Koreans tried to use. I don't know whether that was truly
disinformation, or just plain incompetence somewhere along the chain. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Caught the competitor in the trash eons ago... right before I wised up
and got a shredder. Then after I saw a report on TV where someone was
taking bags of shreddings and piecing them back together, I figured
anyone with a little patience could do likewise.

Really don't go all that crazy with the precautions... have busted up
about 10 hard drives through the years, 3 of which were actually mine...
about 10 or 12 CDR's/DVD's a year, and oh, 3 or 4 shredded document
'dumps' a year. Really just don't generate all that much...

Wikipedia talks about the capacitor electrolyte thing... whoever it was
sure caused a lot of grief...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Erik

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:

nothing of any consequence

**** off and die

Exactly. I wish people would all just plonk him and forget him.

I did just that... last night.

Erik

Wish you had done it sooner. Make sure I stay there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, January 26, 2014 9:19:10 PM UTC-8, Erik wrote:
[...]

It's pretty clear to me you still haven't "wised up".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn fired this volley in
:

So my 'silly example' is factual and you have a short experience
to say such.

What was silly about your example is that the drive had to already have
been formatted properly in order to write to all sectors.

You are aware of what 'formatting' is; yes? (I don't mean in some nebulous
'generic' sense. What does it DO? Do you know?)

What, exactly, does your example of MPs burning/shooting a disk to destroy
it have to do with the _necessity_ of re-writing three times then
formatting in order to erase one?

Now it's a non sequitor example -- and getting sillier by the minute. ?

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

Actually -- thermal variations may cause the heads to be offset
a fraction of a track width from one time to the other, and with the
right tools (and a disassembled drive) it is possible to recover
data
from the fringes like that.

http://hddscan.com/doc/HDD_from_inside.html

http://hddscan.com/doc/HDD_Tracks_and_Zones.html

http://hddscan.com/doc/data-recovery-for-dummies.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:lc5peu$o8l
:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

Actually -- thermal variations may cause the heads to be offset
a fraction of a track width from one time to the other, and with the
right tools (and a disassembled drive) it is possible to recover
data
from the fringes like that.

http://hddscan.com/doc/HDD_from_inside.html

http://hddscan.com/doc/HDD_Tracks_and_Zones.html

http://hddscan.com/doc/data-recovery-for-dummies.html

Yep, I'd forgotten about the 'sidebars'. There are some drives that pre-
erase the sides before re-writing the data track... but not all.

Lloyd

hard drive magnets davao UK diy 28 January 24th 07 01:39 PM
Hard Drive Diagnostics mobile Electronics Repair 3 November 21st 06 05:38 PM
USB flash drive - can read but can't write [email protected] Electronics Repair 18 June 5th 06 06:50 AM
DVD/CDRW combo drive won't read DVDs Tim Sampson Electronics Repair 3 January 6th 05 04:35 PM
Sony VAIO PCG-K25 Notebook PC (2.8 GHz Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, DVD+/-RW Drive) Laptopmania Electronics 0 December 5th 04 03:43 PM