Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The Truth About Garbage Freight Type English Wheels

As posted by David Gardner to the H.A.M.B.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=666182

"The machine is not a pro machine, it is not intended to be one. There
are many things about the machine that are not great, the lower wheels
are not true (not concentric), the quick release is a waste of time. The
wheels are not all that smooth or polished. The frame is not that strong
but in my opinion it is up to the job. The flex in the frame probably
helps offset the possible problems that could be caused by the wheels
not being true."

On the plus side the machine worked well for making small parts. I made
several small panels on it and I found that none of the imperfections I
highlighted above caused any real problems. If you want to make large
sections of panels you need to invest more money and buy or make a
better machine but if you are looking for something to make small repair
sections or to learn on this is a cheap machine.

I make panels for a living so I thought my opinion might help.

One thing I would add is that there is a lot more to making panels than
having a wheeling machine, it is possible to make panels without one.

David"

When you have a piece of **** machine like this if you take all the flex
out of the frame you are going to have other problems that will need to
be corrected. In my opinion it's not worth it and you are far better off
building your own frame or buying one and getting quality wheels from
someone like Hoosier profiles.

http://hoosierprofiles.com/Complete_Sets.html

I fail to see why it makes any sense at all to try and modify a piece of
**** like the Garbage Freight English wheel. You can learn to make small
pieces with a Garbage Freight English wheel and as your skills advance
you sell the piece of **** and spend the money/time to make or buy a
real English wheel.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 4:35:18 PM UTC-5, Jon Banquer wrote:
[...]

Is your english wheel home-made or a professional model?