Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Removing Freely Rotating Swaged Steel Pin

The collegiate pistol team I help coach has two Russian target air
pistols that have broken cocking linkages. I have replacement parts,
but I need to disassemble a linkage that has a swaged pin in it. The
ends of the pin are even with the sides of a piece I need to rescue
undamaged. I had originally planned on drilling/milling out the center
of the swaged part enough to press the pin out, but I discovered that
the pin is free to rotate. There's nothing exposed enough to hang onto
that I don't need to largely cut away.

I can probably grind out the swaged bit VERY carefully with a Dremel,
but it's going to be tedious & fussy.

The pins are about 5/16" in diameter, and each end has a shallow drilled
out section. It looks like they pressed ball bearings into the ends to
spread them. The linkage the pin goes through is countersunk on both
sides, so the swaged bits hold everything together.

There a picture he

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/image...inkage-web.jpg

The pin is the large one with the dimple just left of center in the
image.

The only way I can think of to physically hang onto the pin is to make
an expanding collet that goes into the drilled out pocket on the far end
of the pin. That is going to be tenuous at best, and it's a lot of work
to fabricate for a high likelihood of failure.

One other option would be to crazy glue everything together, mill out
the swaged bit, and then soak it in acetone until the pieces free up.
That assumes the crazy glue can handle the machining forces.

Before I drag out the Dremel, does anyone have any better sugestions?

Thanks!

Doug White