Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Died and gone to heaven!

I'm all about organizing small parts. About two years ago, we got
heavily into small pneumatics, and we have trays and trays of little
boxes of Legris push-to-connect fittings in all variety of sizes.
They're organized, but still a pain to get to a given one.

To whit: Our local ACE chain is completely remodeling a store -- ground-
up type of remodel. And when they remodel, they 're-fixture', as well.
They auction or junk out anything they're not using. If they're ugly,
the parts usually just go to a scrapyard.

The Senior Manager of the four stores is a friend, and called me to "look
at some stuff". When he calls, I go!

He gave me six racks of 84 bins of those "tip-bin" racks they use for
small parts. Each bin has a label slot, and all of them are servicable
-- a few minor cracks in some bins, which a drop of methylene chloride
fixes, and all of them covered several layers deep in yellow ACE price
labels, which naphtha will remove without softening the plastic. They're
even on roller-tracks, so you can build a 'curtain' of them in layers,
and slide the ones hiding others out of the way.

Each bin will hold 50-or-so of the largest fittings. We really needed to
get those parts more accessible. Yay! SCORE!

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

good score. nothing more frustrating than knowing you got it and can't
find it.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/12/2013 3:34 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:
good score. nothing more frustrating than knowing you got it and can't
find it.

Karl

Well, maybe one thing is worse.
Finding the one you were looking for after buying another one...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
good score. nothing more frustrating than knowing you got it and can't
find it.

Karl

Unless it's knowing you have it and realizing that your son took it out of
your toolbox and slipped it into his when you weren't looking ... and you've
moved 175 miles away .
--
Snag
Like the pop rivet tool ...

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
good score. nothing more frustrating than knowing you got it and can't
find it.

Our 'tray method' made sure we found it, if we had it. But it is a
cumbersome process, to stack/unstack all those trays of itsy-small boxes.
(Then open them to make sure the number scratched on the box matches how
many are in there! G). The tip-out bins are just the tits for parts like
these.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

He gave me six racks of 84 bins of those "tip-bin" racks they use for
small parts. Each bin has a label slot, and all of them are servicable
-- a few minor cracks in some bins, which a drop of methylene chloride
fixes, and all of them covered several layers deep in yellow ACE price
labels, which naphtha will remove without softening the plastic. They're
even on roller-tracks, so you can build a 'curtain' of them in layers,
and slide the ones hiding others out of the way.

They've got the same racks at the local as well...indeed, would love to
have a set (for the price ).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 14:26:58 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

[...]

YOU SUCK!

P.S: Are they covered bins, I hope? Otherwise, thain't wort spit.
Color me _oh_so_ tired of dust.

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Oh hell yes! NICE!!!!

--
Liberals want everyone to think like them.
Conservatives want everyone to think.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

P.S: Are they covered bins, I hope? Otherwise, thain't wort spit.
Color me _oh_so_ tired of dust.

Tipping bins, not drawers. Each rack of 84 has 6 clear tilting bins. You
can see the product without opening it. Tilt it out for hand access
onesies. Remove the bin for dumping. Dust-free.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley in
. 3.70:

Each rack of 84 has 6 clear tilting bins.

Duh! Each rack of 84 has 14 ROWS of 6 tilting bins.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley in
. 3.70:

Each rack of 84 has 6 clear tilting bins.

Duh! Each rack of 84 has 14 ROWS of 6 tilting bins.

We've got that exact setup at our local ACE, it covers half the length
of the hardware aisle, and contains all number of random things that
nobody else locally carries. One panel slides in front of the other, so
it's basically two panels deep. Nice score.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 06:06:33 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

P.S: Are they covered bins, I hope? Otherwise, thain't wort spit.
Color me _oh_so_ tired of dust.

Tipping bins, not drawers. Each rack of 84 has 6 clear tilting bins. You
can see the product without opening it. Tilt it out for hand access
onesies. Remove the bin for dumping. Dust-free.

The good stuff. Congrats.

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Danniken fired this volley in
:

One panel slides in front of the other, so
it's basically two panels deep.

Yup... and as long as each 'forward' layer has one fewer racks than the
back layer, you can make them any number deep. Since they're only about
4" deep, I could get all six in a space 48" wide by 24" deep -- about the
size of our larger toolchests. So it doesn't have to occupy a whole wall.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

To whit: Our local ACE chain is completely remodeling a store -- ground-
up type of remodel. And when they remodel, they 're-fixture', as well.
They auction or junk out anything they're not using. If they're ugly,
the parts usually just go to a scrapyard.

Yup, some years ago our local Ace store had a big "yard sale". I didn't
see anything interesting, but then came across the customer service
counter, with a sign that said "free"! Luckily, it was easy to disassemble
into modules and cart home. We got two of them, each has about a
3 x 9 foot countertop with 3 modules under it with movable shelves.
VERY handy in my shop!

Jon