Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default SideWinder Vise Attachment

All:

Just saw this just today, they've supposedly been out for about a year or so. Neat idea IMO. A lot of second op work on the end of long parts is done with large heavy angle plates, indicated stop bars, and C-clamps. This is a much cleaner (and quicker), setup for the right sized parts. Obviously you could clamp spacers under the SideWinder to support shorter parts..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5E3HNHIgPg

I apologize if this has been covered before. I did a topic search on SideWinder first and didn't see anything.

It's a pretty spicy meatball at $599. I wonder when we can expect a Cheap Chinese Knock-Off, eh Jon? LOL

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Help provided
Machinists guided
Shared ideas and tools
Rec.crafts.metalworking rules!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 6:04:25 PM UTC-8, BottleBob wrote:

"It's a pretty spicy meatball at $599. I wonder when we can expect a Cheap Chinese Knock-Off, eh Jon? LOL "

As soon as an American company like Kurt works their ass off to build and establish the market for it your old boss will buy it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 7:27:47 PM UTC-8, jon_banquer wrote:
On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 6:04:25 PM UTC-8, BottleBob wrote:

"It's a pretty spicy meatball at $599. I wonder when we can expect a Cheap Chinese Knock-Off, eh Jon? LOL "

As soon as an American company like Kurt works their ass off to build and establish the market for it your old boss will buy it.

Meaning, your old boss will buy the cheap Chinese knock off.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jon_banquer" wrote in message
On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 7:27:47 PM UTC-8, jon_banquer wrote:
On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 6:04:25 PM UTC-8, BottleBob wrote:

"It's a pretty spicy meatball at $599. I wonder when we can expect a
Cheap Chinese Knock-Off, eh Jon? LOL "

As soon as an American company like Kurt works their ass off to build and
establish the market for it your old boss will buy it.

Meaning, your old boss will buy the cheap Chinese knock off.

I suppose it might be useflu as long as a person is just drilling holes or
taking light cuts but I prefer mounting a vise onto an angle plate, much
more rigidity and the additional mass provides significantly better
vibration dampening.

Curious how (Avion) is doing these days, it's been a while since I've heard
from them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:26:14 PM UTC-8, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"jon_banquer" wrote in message

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 7:27:47 PM UTC-8, jon_banquer wrote:

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 6:04:25 PM UTC-8, BottleBob wrote:

"It's a pretty spicy meatball at $599. I wonder when we can expect a

Cheap Chinese Knock-Off, eh Jon? LOL "

As soon as an American company like Kurt works their ass off to build and

establish the market for it your old boss will buy it.

Meaning, your old boss will buy the cheap Chinese knock off.

I suppose it might be useflu as long as a person is just drilling holes or

taking light cuts but I prefer mounting a vise onto an angle plate, much

more rigidity and the additional mass provides significantly better

vibration dampening.

I agree. I don't think it will sell very well. It's a cute idea but that's about as far as it goes.

Curious how (Avion) is doing these days, it's been a while since I've heard

from them.

I wonder if they have gotten into 5 axis machining, if they have a Gibbscam training problem like many shops in San Diego do, how much toolpath surfacing they are doing. It never was a very high tech shop but they did some challenging work. Owner seemed pretty cheap. Nothing unusual there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:26:14 PM UTC-8, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

I suppose it might be useful as long as a person is just drilling holes or
taking light cuts but I prefer mounting a vise onto an angle plate, much
more rigidity and the additional mass provides significantly better
vibration dampening.

PM:

Yeah, I could envision the harmonics of some heavy passes "twanging" that SideWinder. BUUUT... you could always support the SideWinder with an angle plate, eh? LOL

Curious how (Avion) is doing these days, it's been a while since I've heard
from them.

I cruised by Avion about 9 months ago. They bought a new CMM for more accurate, semi-automated inspections. Oh, and they also got a new Laser Tool Presetter that talked directly to the CNC's. These things were probably gotten for ISO 9000/9001 certification.
Made me almost want to go back to work part time and play with the new "toys". I was on the verge of blurting out something to that effect... (Pat, for the longest time kept trying to draft me)... but I went home and eventually came to my senses. LOL

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Humor IS life
It eases the pain
Smoothes the strife
AND keeps us sane
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/5/2013 6:04 PM, BottleBob wrote:

Just saw this just today, they've supposedly been out for about a
year or so. Neat idea IMO. A lot of second op work on the end of
long parts is done with large heavy angle plates, indicated stop
bars, and C-clamps. This is a much cleaner (and quicker), setup for
the right sized parts. Obviously you could clamp spacers under the
SideWinder to support shorter parts.

I have a 4" Quad vise bolted to a small angle plate that I just clamp in
the 6" vise. Setup is very fast! This offers more height though, I just
might make a similar mounting plate for mine. Thanks!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 9:16:18 AM UTC-8, janders wrote:

I have a 4" Quad vise bolted to a small angle plate that I just clamp in
the 6" vise. Setup is very fast! This offers more height though, I just
might make a similar mounting plate for mine. Thanks!

Jon

Jon A:

The 4" vise stuck to an angle plate sounds like an excellent idea.

Here are a couple of ideas I had for Kurt vise jaws.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...o/ViseJaw2.jpg

The above one was to locate small parts in a sideways vise type feature, with the 6" Kurt movable jaw closing on the part and doing most of the holding. The rod would be threaded of course and have a removable handle.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...gleViseJaw.jpg

On this one the angle could be set with a sine plate on a surface plate, and then installed in the vise. Or if that kind of accuracy wasn't needed you could just set it with a protractor.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Theoretical speculations
Biased interpretations
Bogus evaluations
Are all eliminated by experimentation
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"BottleBob" wrote in message ...
[...]

I've been known to double stick tape a 1-2-3 block or similar onto a tall vise jaw.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 4:12:41 PM UTC-8, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

I've been known to double stick tape a 1-2-3 block or similar onto a
tall vise jaw.

PM:

You know, I made a vise stop in the late 70's that was about 1" wide, clamped to the top of the vise jaw, and hung down the front almost to the bottom of the jaw. The part that hung down was less than 1/8" thick, so small parts could be held square. It was stainless and ground all over. That puppy got lost over the years, probably caught someone's eye. I should have made a bunch of them.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Know your friends
Don't let'em confuse ya
Or they'll use ya
For their own ends

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"BottleBob" wrote in message ...
PM:

You know, I made a vise stop in the late 70's that was about 1" wide, clamped to the top of the vise jaw, and hung down the front almost to the bottom of the jaw. The part that hung down was less than 1/8" thick, so small parts could be held square. It was stainless and ground all over. That puppy got lost over the years, probably caught someone's eye. I should have made a bunch of them.

--------

I've occasionally thought about marketing a fairly long clamp-on type vise stop from aluminum, one that is machinable....such that a person could easily setup and use when it's necessary to mill completely around a part thats sitting on parallels within in a vise.

Then again, I've got enough things to keep me busy as it is....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I've been known to double stick tape a 1-2-3 block or similar onto a
tall vise jaw.

PM:

You know, I made a vise stop in the late 70's that was about 1" wide,
clamped to the top of the vise jaw, and hung down the front almost to
the bottom of the jaw. The part that hung down was less than 1/8"
thick, so small parts could be held square. It was stainless and
ground all over. That puppy got lost over the years, probably caught
someone's eye. I should have made a bunch of them.
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

==============
My ancient lever-operated horizontal mill came with a box of aluminum
vise jaw inserts that had been machined to locate the workpieces.
Although they wear quickly they are easily refaced, and on a vertical
mill the top step will then be exactly parallel to the X axis even if
the vise isn't mounted perfectly square or level.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013 18:04:25 -0800 (PST), BottleBob
wrote:

All:

Just saw this just today, they've supposedly been out for about a year or so. Neat idea IMO. A lot of second op work on the end of long parts is done with large heavy angle plates, indicated stop bars, and C-clamps. This is a much cleaner (and quicker), setup for the right sized parts. Obviously you could clamp spacers under the SideWinder to support shorter parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5E3HNHIgPg

I apologize if this has been covered before. I did a topic search on SideWinder first and didn't see anything.

It's a pretty spicy meatball at $599. I wonder when we can expect a Cheap Chinese Knock-Off, eh Jon? LOL

Pretty useful accessory for some jobs - thanks for posting about it.
It looks like something that could be shop-made pretty easily for
those of us with vises smaller than 6".

Mike
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/6/2013 2:34 PM, BottleBob wrote:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...o/ViseJaw2.jpg

Nice idea. You need a shop and start making stuff... G

Always wanted to make a simple sine bar type jaw, just never got around
to it.
One thing I did for end working of short parts, I ground both ends of
the back jaw square. A Pony clamp was used to hold a small hardened and
ground plate to the end of the jaw. More than accurate enough for the
simple stuff I was doing, and very quick to set up. Unfortunately I sold
that vise, swapped out for the next one up in capacity, and forgot to
swap the jaws. Now I gotta find someone with a surface grinder that'll
let me square off the jaw on this one.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"janders" wrote in message
news
One thing I did for end working of short parts, I ground both ends
of the back jaw square. A Pony clamp was used to hold a small
hardened and ground plate to the end of the jaw. More than accurate
enough for the simple stuff I was doing, and very quick to set up.
Unfortunately I sold that vise, swapped out for the next one up in
capacity, and forgot to swap the jaws. Now I gotta find someone with
a surface grinder that'll let me square off the jaw on this one.
Jon

I tapped the side of the vise behind the fixed jaw and added a
swing-away stop.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:15:53 PM UTC-8, janders wrote:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...o/ViseJaw2.jpg

Nice idea. You need a shop and start making stuff... G

Jon A:

I suppose I could make one, but what would I do with it?

Always wanted to make a simple sine bar type jaw, just never got around
to it.

You could take an angle block... (like one of the following)

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ProductID=2553

Put a couple of dabs of superglue on it and stick it to your vise jaw for an angled stop. Just rap it with a plastic hammer to unstick it when you're done. Rub a little Scotchbrite on the glue residue on the bar and vise and you'd never know it had been there. You could even stack more than one together to get a more extreme angle.

One thing I did for end working of short parts, I ground both ends of
the back jaw square. A Pony clamp was used to hold a small hardened and
ground plate to the end of the jaw. More than accurate enough for the
simple stuff I was doing, and very quick to set up. Unfortunately I sold
that vise, swapped out for the next one up in capacity, and forgot to
swap the jaws. Now I gotta find someone with a surface grinder that'll
let me square off the jaw on this one.

Here's an idea I had for centering different sized pieces in a vise. You'd clamp the plate down behind the solid jaw, and after centering the part with the scissors, and clamping it in your vise you could remove the scissors (slip fit pins), if they would get in the way of machining around your part.

Vise ID SteveB[_9_] Metalworking 10 October 6th 09 01:14 AM
Vise ID SteveB[_9_] Home Repair 3 October 5th 09 04:01 AM
Kurt vise swivel attachment question Tom Gardner[_2_] Metalworking 15 March 24th 08 01:22 AM
Advice Buying "Blade-Left" Circular Saw Sidewinder or Worms Alan Smithee Woodworking 12 August 17th 06 05:02 PM
Logan taper attachment attachment John Hall Metalworking 6 November 2nd 03 06:42 PM