Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default TRAVERS Tool 32% off sale.

I've seen a lot of discussion of this brand on CNCzone.com

I've only scanned them. Like all Asian machines, they are a "work in
progress" and many folks do upgrades to the machine to meet their
needs. I must say for most folks making small parts in their basement,
they seem to be happy with this class of equipment.

Now, I'm a farmer and need to make serious cuts on large hunks of
steel quickly and accurately. I wouldn't be caught dead with them.

So, it depends on your needs and expectations.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Anyone here have experience with the OTMT line
of machines? Size and weight limit my basement
shop to bench mills.
TRAVERS has a 32% off sale until Aug 16th.
I'm interested in two OTMT mill/drills. One is
Travers no. 87-116-000 ($1,550) + shipping
and no. 87-115-195 ($1,500) + shipping.
http://travers.com

Used machines in my area are either junk or priced
way too high. Any info will be appreciated.
----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"longrange" wrote in message
Anyone here have experience with the OTMT line
of machines? Size and weight limit my basement
shop to bench mills.
TRAVERS has a 32% off sale until Aug 16th.
I'm interested in two OTMT mill/drills. One is
Travers no. 87-116-000 ($1,550) + shipping
and no. 87-115-195 ($1,500) + shipping.
http://travers.com

Used machines in my area are either junk or priced
way too high. Any info will be appreciated.
----

This is a Sieg X3 mill which is sold as many brands. If you search on the
web for Sieg X3 you can find a ton of information and reviews. I have the
smaller X2 which is what it is. It works OK for light jobs but is not the
stiffest machine around. Although, any machine that would be stiffer would
be larger and heavier than I would want. One particular issue with my
machine is one turn of the dial is 0.0625" which makes large, precise
movements very awkward. Some versions are either metric or have the
0.100"/turn screw. I ended up retrofitting the cheap battery operated
digital scales.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"longrange" wrote in message
Anyone here have experience with the OTMT line
of machines? Size and weight limit my basement
shop to bench mills.
TRAVERS has a 32% off sale until Aug 16th.
I'm interested in two OTMT mill/drills. One is
Travers no. 87-116-000 ($1,550) + shipping
and no. 87-115-195 ($1,500) + shipping.
http://travers.com

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Dril...th-Stand/G0704

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 17:59:45 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I've seen a lot of discussion of this brand on CNCzone.com

I've only scanned them. Like all Asian machines, they are a "work in
progress" and many folks do upgrades to the machine to meet their
needs. I must say for most folks making small parts in their basement,
they seem to be happy with this class of equipment.

I'd feel more comfy buying a Grizzly, like the G0619. It's a 6x21 X3
with a reverse switch on the spider handles for tapping. Pretty cool.
I've had zero problems with 4 other Griz machines. (all woodworking)
Griz seems to have a better fit and finish for the same machine out of
the Red Dragon Machine Tool and Noodle Factory (TM Gunner)

Now, I'm a farmer and need to make serious cuts on large hunks of
steel quickly and accurately. I wouldn't be caught dead with them.

You probably have a helluva lot more room for machines than most of
us, too.

So, it depends on your needs and expectations.

Ayup.

--
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.

LV Antique tool sale Dave Bslderstone Woodworking 0 May 4th 12 05:12 PM
Tool Sale HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 0 March 10th 09 01:51 AM
Tool/Supply Sale JD[_2_] Woodturning 1 March 16th 08 09:56 PM
Anyone know when HD has its 25% off tool sale? Climb14er Home Repair 1 November 1st 06 10:20 PM
E-Norm-ous Tool Sale Bob Schmall Woodworking 6 October 29th 04 10:09 AM