Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Blue Rhino Lake County Florida propane facility explosion

This was a few miles from my first shop in Florida. It looks like they
will be short a lot of tanks for a while. I had to report a leaking
tank in one of their retail locations a few weeks ago. The manager of
the drug store it sat in front of wasn't too happy, since some customers
ignore the 'No Smoking' signs on a regular basis.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/nationworld/os-blue-rhino-plant-explosion-before-and-after-20130730,0,927487.htmlstory
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 23:34:22 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

This was a few miles from my first shop in Florida. It looks like they
will be short a lot of tanks for a while. I had to report a leaking
tank in one of their retail locations a few weeks ago. The manager of
the drug store it sat in front of wasn't too happy, since some customers
ignore the 'No Smoking' signs on a regular basis.

Scary thought, that.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/nationworld/os-blue-rhino-plant-explosion-before-and-after-20130730,0,927487.htmlstory

Thanks, Sentinel. LOUSY before and after comparison. They aren't the
same resolution and it's impossible to tell how much of the area
covered on the right (after) was in the left (before) picture. The
painted rectangles give some bit of reference, but...

--
If you're trying to take a roomful of people by
surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This was a few miles from my first shop in Florida. It looks like they
will be short a lot of tanks for a while. I had to report a leaking
tank in one of their retail locations a few weeks ago. The manager of
the drug store it sat in front of wasn't too happy, since some customers
ignore the 'No Smoking' signs on a regular basis.

Scary thought, that.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/nationworld/os-blue-rhino-plant-explosion-before-and-after-20130730,0,927487.htmlstory

Thanks, Sentinel. LOUSY before and after comparison. They aren't the
same resolution and it's impossible to tell how much of the area
covered on the right (after) was in the left (before) picture. The
painted rectangles give some bit of reference, but...

Agreed!

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

BOOM,

Can you tell me exactly where. My parents live in Lake county. They
are 'up Nort' right now.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

This was a few miles from my first shop in Florida. It looks like they
will be short a lot of tanks for a while. I had to report a leaking
tank in one of their retail locations a few weeks ago. The manager of
the drug store it sat in front of wasn't too happy, since some customers
ignore the 'No Smoking' signs on a regular basis.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/nationworld/os-blue-rhino-plant-explosion-before-and-after-20130730,0,927487.htmlstory

Karma - You make huge profits overcharging for under filled tanks, then
karma kicks you in the head and your fill plant blows up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend fired this volley in
:

BOOM,

Can you tell me exactly where. My parents live in Lake county. They
are 'up Nort' right now.

Karl

Tavares, Karl. Only one adjacent property was slightly harmed when a
20lb tank came through the roof (not on fire). Just a hole, not total
havok.

The plant was decimated, (53000 20lb tanks on premises, most full or with
some gas in them) but the bulk tanks did not pop. One of the two 30Kgal
tanks did suffer a slow leak, but they successfully burned off the
contents last night on a to-purpose burn stack.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This was a few miles from my first shop in Florida. It looks like they
will be short a lot of tanks for a while. I had to report a leaking
tank in one of their retail locations a few weeks ago. The manager of
the drug store it sat in front of wasn't too happy, since some customers
ignore the 'No Smoking' signs on a regular basis.

Scary thought, that.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/nationworld/os-blue-rhino-plant-explosion-before-and-after-20130730,0,927487.htmlstory

Thanks, Sentinel. LOUSY before and after comparison. They aren't the
same resolution and it's impossible to tell how much of the area
covered on the right (after) was in the left (before) picture. The
painted rectangles give some bit of reference, but...

Agreed!

And another thing the Sentinel got wrong was that these were 20#
tanks, not 20 gallon. BIG difference: 300%!

Pete's probably right about the karma thing. I can refill for under
$6 today, not $25-30 for the Rhinos. I'm considering getting another
tank for backup...

--
If you're trying to take a roomful of people by
surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets
if you don't yell going through the door.
-- Lois McMaster Bujold
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Propane here is $3.40 a gallon. So I get mine filled for $15.50
I have (10) "5 gallon" tanks (two of which are needing to be exchanged
for the new style)

My forklift tanks are 7.9 gallons and they cost me about $27 a fill
IRRC
I have 3 of them

Must be nice to have cheap propane. Sigh

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

BOOM,

Can you tell me exactly where. My parents live in Lake county. They
are 'up Nort' right now.

Off Hwy. 448, near Hwy. 561. Zoom in for a view of the area before
the fire.

https://maps.google.com/maps?num=100&safe=off&client=firefox-a&q=blue+rhino+fire+lake+county+plant+location+map &ie=UTF-8&ei=JVz5Ua_5D5Pe8ASGyIBI&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

$1.45/gal here. I was pleasantly amazed when I heard that a few weeks
ago.

I have (10) "5 gallon" tanks (two of which are needing to be exchanged
for the new style)

My forklift tanks are 7.9 gallons and they cost me about $27 a fill
IRRC
I have 3 of them

Must be nice to have cheap propane. Sigh

It would be even nicer if I went through it quickly.

--
If you're trying to take a roomful of people by
surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets
if you don't yell going through the door.
-- Lois McMaster Bujold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It would be nice if I went through it less quickly...sigh

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/31/2013 3:09 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

$1.45/gal here. I was pleasantly amazed when I heard that a few weeks
ago.

HOLY **** BATMAN! I'd convert all my vehicles to dual-fuel!
(A sure way to spike the price on propane!)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I was complaining to Roger that there must be a leak in the forklifts'
Propane systems and he said there was...it's called the carburetor. It
seems they should be rated in feet per gallon!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This was a few miles from my first shop in Florida. It looks like they
will be short a lot of tanks for a while. I had to report a leaking
tank in one of their retail locations a few weeks ago. The manager of
the drug store it sat in front of wasn't too happy, since some customers
ignore the 'No Smoking' signs on a regular basis.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/nationworld/os-blue-rhino-plant-explosion-before-and-after-20130730,0,927487.htmlstory

Amazing - In front of the Home Center or Supermarket they have the
filled propane bottles safely stored in cages, so even if one leaks
and catches fire, and starts cooking the bottles till the pop-offs
open... They can't go anywhere.

Now you'd think they have the same basic system to slide a whole
pallet of stacked bottles at a time into caged sections of pallet
racking at the bulk plant yard, so if there's a fire it stays in one
place. No loose bottles to go flying off and lighting off new
sections. But the reality...

Gee, if I sold pallet racking I'd be down there trying to make a sale.
And looking to retrofit the rest of their yards, too.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If I went through it quickly, it would mean that I had a forklift.
That couldn't be all bad, huh?