Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Change gears...

Now complete: http://wpnet.us/change_gears.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete, I lost the conversation thread. Did you cut those gears? Nice job if you did.
Ivan Vegvary
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 14:33:15 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Now complete: http://wpnet.us/change_gears.jpg

Bravo Sir!! Bravo indeed!!!!

My respects and compliments on a very nicely completed project!

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Now complete: http://wpnet.us/change_gears.jpg

===============

Great job!!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Any hints or tips to share?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Now complete: http://wpnet.us/change_gears.jpg

===============

Great job!!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Any hints or tips to share?

Dunno, it was pretty straightforward, just a bit tedious. Using the CNC
mill in conjunction with the manual indexing worked well since it got me
flood coolant as well as eliminating the manual work of cutting each
tooth. Being able to manually index the dividing head, then press cycle
start and not have to do anything for a minute was nice. Of course since
the change gears are all different tooth counts, nothing was the same, I
had to turn each blank to the appropriate diameter for it's tooth count,
change the dividing head setup for each gear, and reset the Y zero for
each new gear blank.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Now complete: http://wpnet.us/change_gears.jpg

clap,clap,clap

Never thought you'd get the clap through the Internet, didja, Pete?

-- Sir Winston Churchill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-07-14, Pete C. wrote:

Now complete: http://wpnet.us/change_gears.jpg

Nice looking set.

Congratulations,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/14/2013 2:33 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Now complete: http://wpnet.us/change_gears.jpg

Nice!
Very nice!

What's the rest of the story on these, Pete?
How long do they take?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dunno, it was pretty straightforward, just a bit tedious. Using the CNC
mill in conjunction with the manual indexing worked well since it got me
flood coolant as well as eliminating the manual work of cutting each
tooth. Being able to manually index the dividing head, then press cycle
start and not have to do anything for a minute was nice. Of course since
the change gears are all different tooth counts, nothing was the same, I
had to turn each blank to the appropriate diameter for it's tooth count,
change the dividing head setup for each gear, and reset the Y zero for
each new gear blank.

Great job Pete,

Next time, put a stepper or servo on your indexer and call it a 4rth
axis. My "extra" servo does double duty, its on the knee most of the
time to raise/lower for tool changes. I can also bolt it to the table
and use a timing belt to the Yusa indexing head.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Now complete: http://wpnet.us/change_gears.jpg

===============

Great job!!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Any hints or tips to share?

Dunno, it was pretty straightforward, just a bit tedious. Using the CNC

mill in conjunction with the manual indexing worked well since it got me

flood coolant as well as eliminating the manual work of cutting each

tooth. Being able to manually index the dividing head, then press cycle

start and not have to do anything for a minute was nice. Of course since

the change gears are all different tooth counts, nothing was the same, I

had to turn each blank to the appropriate diameter for it's tooth count,

change the dividing head setup for each gear, and reset the Y zero for

each new gear blank.

How did you make the key slots - broached or milled & filed?

If you motorized your indexing head, as Karl suggested, you could "turn" the blanks on the mill. Two setups for the whole job - one for the center hole & lettering and another for all the circuferential stuff.

I'm envious (my mill is a pretty much clapped out piece of junk).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:

On 7/14/2013 2:33 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Now complete: http://wpnet.us/change_gears.jpg

Nice!
Very nice!

What's the rest of the story on these, Pete?

The newest lathe I got, a Taiwan 13x40 was missing the change gears that
were not installed. Don't know why they can build storage into the lathe
base so parts don't get lost. At any rate I checked and it seems the
gears were not available from the manufacturer so I had to make my own.
Fortunately I had the installed change gears for reference which made it
a bit easier, and of course the thread chart listed the tooth counts of
the missing gears.

How long do they take?

Difficult to say since it was spread out over a number of different days
with me being out of town or sick along the way. I also wasn't rushing
since it was a new process. I probably spent 6-8 days overall on the lot
between the turning of the blanks, broaching the keyways and finally
cutting the teeth.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nice!

I've made gears a couple of times. Once on my horizontal mill, using a
re-ground cutter. Embarrassingly bad. Also, on the lathe, using a
hobbing cutter. Better, but not great. You almost inspire me to try
again, doing it right. G

Bob