Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Change gears...

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 9:28:48 PM UTC-4, Pete C. wrote:
"F. George McDuffee" wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 14:33:15 -0500, "Pete C."

wrote:

Now complete: http://wpnet.us/change_gears.jpg

===============

Great job!!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Any hints or tips to share?

Dunno, it was pretty straightforward, just a bit tedious. Using the CNC

mill in conjunction with the manual indexing worked well since it got me

flood coolant as well as eliminating the manual work of cutting each

tooth. Being able to manually index the dividing head, then press cycle

start and not have to do anything for a minute was nice. Of course since

the change gears are all different tooth counts, nothing was the same, I

had to turn each blank to the appropriate diameter for it's tooth count,

change the dividing head setup for each gear, and reset the Y zero for

each new gear blank.

How did you make the key slots - broached or milled & filed?

If you motorized your indexing head, as Karl suggested, you could "turn" the blanks on the mill. Two setups for the whole job - one for the center hole & lettering and another for all the circuferential stuff.

I'm envious (my mill is a pretty much clapped out piece of junk).