Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Don't Warn! Kill The *******! Fla. mom gets 20 years for firingwarning shots.

On Monday, July 8, 2013 1:12:47 AM UTC-4, Carlos wrote:
(CBS News) JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A Florida woman who fired

warning shots against her allegedly abusive husband has been

sentenced to 20 years in prison.

Marissa Alexander of Jacksonville had said the state's "Stand

Your Ground" law should apply to her because she was defending

herself against her allegedly abusive husband when she fired

warning shots inside her home in August 2010. She told police it

was to escape a brutal beating by her husband, against whom she

had already taken out a protective order.

CBS Affiliate WETV reports that Circuit Court Judge James Daniel

handed down the sentence Friday.

Under Florida's mandatory minimum sentencing requirements

Alexander could receive a lesser sentence, even though she has

never been in trouble with the law before. Judge Daniel said the

law did not allow for extenuating or mitigating circumstances to

reduce the sentence below the 20-year minimum.

"I really was crying in there," Marissa's 11-year-old daughter

told WETV. "I didn't want to cry in court, but I just really

feel hurt. I don't think this should have been happening."

Alexander was convicted of attempted murder after she rejected a

plea deal for a three-year prison sentence. She said she did not

believe she did anything wrong.

She was recently denied a new trial after appealing to the judge

to reconsider her case based on Florida's controversial "Stand

Your Ground" law. The law states that the victim of a crime does

not have to attempt to run for safety and can immediately

retaliate in self-defense.

Alexander's attorney said she was clearly defending herself and

should not have to spend the next two decades behind bars.

Alexander's case has drawn support from domestic abuse advocates

- and comparison to the case of neighborhood watch volunteer

George Zimmerman, who has claimed a "Stand Your Ground" defense

in his fatal shooting of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...a-mom-gets-20-

years-for-firing-warning-shots/

Once again a fine example of what happens to you, guilty or innocent, when you don't take the DA's plea deal. They will **** you over and put you away just to keep the stats up. Won't plea to a charge that begets 3 years? Fine- I'll **** you over with 20 on a worse charge.