Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is wrong with this locomotive?

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus10926 fired this volley in
:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

I'm sorry. What did you see? I see TWO locomotives, one behind the
other.

Other than that, only that some dimwit painted Pacifific on the one...

I see that crap all the time on even government appliances, whenever low-
wage entitlement-minded people are doing the work.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Ignoramus10926 fired this volley in
:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

I'm sorry. What did you see? I see TWO locomotives, one behind the
other.

Other than that, only that some dimwit painted Pacifific on the one...

I see that crap all the time on even government appliances, whenever low-
wage entitlement-minded people are doing the work.

Unrendered liberals at work!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 19:34:43 -0500, Ignoramus10926
wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

Interesting. Collison? Very little damage. Or was it cut in half to
remove the engines?

Gunner

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-29, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus10926 fired this volley in
:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

I'm sorry. What did you see? I see TWO locomotives, one behind the
other.

Other than that, only that some dimwit painted Pacifific on the one...

That's what I meant.

I see that crap all the time on even government appliances, whenever low-
wage entitlement-minded people are doing the work.

They are probably not even low wage, this being a railroad.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Ignoramus10926 fired this volley in
:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

I'm sorry. What did you see? I see TWO locomotives, one behind the
other.

Other than that, only that some dimwit painted Pacifific on the one...

I see that crap all the time on even government appliances, whenever low-
wage entitlement-minded people are doing the work.

Unrendered liberals at work!

No, proly Bibble-thumping midwesterners, talking in tongues, and stuttering.
Affects their writing, too, apparently.....
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-29, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus10926 fired this volley in
:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

I'm sorry. What did you see? I see TWO locomotives, one behind the
other.

Other than that, only that some dimwit painted Pacifific on the one...

That's what I meant.

I see that crap all the time on even government appliances, whenever low-
wage entitlement-minded people are doing the work.

They are probably not even low wage, this being a railroad.

Dats one long effing locomitive. Some are so long (6,000 hp) they can't
navigate track whose bends are too tight, so are restricted in various parts
of the country.
I'll bet you get quite the chubby just thinking about scrapping dat
mutha****a, eh?
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 19:50:13 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ignoramus10926 fired this volley in
:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

I'm sorry. What did you see? I see TWO locomotives, one behind the
other.

Other than that, only that some dimwit painted Pacifific on the one...

I see that crap all the time on even government appliances, whenever low-
wage entitlement-minded people are doing the work.

Lloyd

Where is the rear of the foreground loco?

And notice where the engine room is?

Thats quite an interesting photo in more than one way.

Gunner

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

Interesting. Collison? Very little damage. Or was it cut in half to
remove the engines?

Looks Photoshopped to me. The engine is too long by half.

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That is a 'Monster' - it is longer than normal and has a
'ventilated' rear power unit. Looks like the repair shop
took a unit that smashed up the cab but had a good generator
and made a monster for long coal cars or heavy loads.

Martin

On 6/28/2013 7:34 PM, Ignoramus10926 wrote:
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-29, Martin Eastburn wrote:
That is a 'Monster' - it is longer than normal and has a
'ventilated' rear power unit. Looks like the repair shop
took a unit that smashed up the cab but had a good generator
and made a monster for long coal cars or heavy loads.

Does it have two engines?

Martin

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

Somebody can't spell!

Front loco. and the one behind it have the same spelling error

Bob
rgentryatozdotnet
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

Interesting. Collison? Very little damage. Or was it cut in half to
remove the engines?

Looks Photoshopped to me. The engine is too long by half.

I did not photoshop it, I took the picture today
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In rec.crafts.metalworking,
Martin Eastburn wrote:
That is a 'Monster' - it is longer than normal and has a
'ventilated' rear power unit. Looks like the repair shop
took a unit that smashed up the cab but had a good generator
and made a monster for long coal cars or heavy loads.

Looks like it is spelled right on the other side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwlzUmBlIB8

It is on screen starting at 20s to 34s.

And it's correct he

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...aspx?id=558546
Date: 11/4/2006 Location: Hot Springs (subdivision), UT

Also correct he

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=1227799
Date: 7/1/2008 Location: Railroad/Marshall, El Paso, TX

I can't find any other photos newer than last year and all
of them seem to have it right. I suspect a repair with painted
siding that didn't match.

Elijah
------
or photoshop
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I can't find any other photos newer than last year and all
of them seem to have it right. I suspect a repair with painted
siding that didn't match.

I agree with this assessment. Even so, they really should have
immediately corrected or hid the misspelling to avoid a PR disaster.

Whether or not anyone at UP actually cares, is another matter all
together

Erik

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

Somebody can't spell!

Front loco. and the one behind it have the same spelling error

How did you ascertain that??
--
EA

Bob
rgentryatozdotnet

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

Interesting. Collison? Very little damage. Or was it cut in half to
remove the engines?

Looks Photoshopped to me. The engine is too long by half.

I did not photoshop it, I took the picture today

I guess Martin was right and the Frankensteiners built it from two
differently painted engines.

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

Interesting. Collison? Very little damage. Or was it cut in half to
remove the engines?

Looks Photoshopped to me. The engine is too long by half.

I did not photoshop it, I took the picture today

I guess Martin was right and the Frankensteiners built it from two
differently painted engines.

I am also agreeing, this is most likely. It also seems to be longer
than usual, which is something I do not really "get", it could not
have a double engine or generator, so what is the point of making it
longer?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

Interesting. Collison? Very little damage. Or was it cut in half to
remove the engines?

Looks Photoshopped to me. The engine is too long by half.

Photoshopped. Same locomotive goes by at 0:57 in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ngPDZw08k

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
That is a 'Monster' - it is longer than normal and has a
'ventilated' rear power unit. Looks like the repair shop
took a unit that smashed up the cab but had a good generator
and made a monster for long coal cars or heavy loads.

It's probably the standard issue 4400 hp unit, or prthaps the 6044
convertable variant, fairly common.

"The AC4400 (or C44AC) was GE's initial entrant into the AC-traction market,
and has proven extremely successful. Debuting in 1995, it has evolved into
several different versions over time, adding power-management and emissions
features to increase its flexibility and be more environmentally friendly
and effecient"

http://www.actionroad.net/UPRRintheR..._Roster_GE.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

Nothing - they recycled some of the doors from another locomotive that
had the lettering laid out differently - note the background yellow is
more faded on the forward doors. They save everything that's still
usable, and raid the boneyard for parts just like you do.

And the paint jobs are low priority, until there's a capital
investment program to re-paint them al in a new color scheme. A lot
of times it's "get it back in service and making us money" period.

The extra louvers on the rear doors might have been from adding
dynamic braking resistors to a loco that wasn't built with them - you
really don't know unless you have the shop records, or ask the
engineer operating it.

That would be far from the first monster that a railroad has built -
they took all the surviving EMD F series streamline locomotives and
re-bodied them into freight locomotives, because you couldn't see for
beans with the full bodies on them. You don't need to see close for
mainline cross-country work, but you do for switching and siding
deliveries.

They take locomotives with blown engines or wrecked bodies, whack off
the body, and turn them into "Slugs" - powered trucks for climbing
hills. At low speeds the generator in the locomotive is turning full
speed and putting out full power - but the motors in the trucks can't
use it all without burning up because they're creeping. (Even with
external fan cooling.) A Slug gets power from the lead power unit
locomotive.

Union Pacific even ran Gas Turbines for a while - Jet Engines running
on #6 Bunker Oil pre-heated. And they parked under bridges and melted
the asphalt off the road deck a few times... But when the supply of
cheap heavy bunker oil went away (as they figured out how to crack and
refine it into gasoline and diesel) so did they.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

Interesting. Collison? Very little damage. Or was it cut in half to
remove the engines?

Looks Photoshopped to me. The engine is too long by half.

I did not photoshop it, I took the picture today

I guess Martin was right and the Frankensteiners built it from two
differently painted engines.

I am also agreeing, this is most likely. It also seems to be longer
than usual, which is something I do not really "get", it could not
have a double engine or generator, so what is the point of making it
longer?

Wanna see one completely rebuilt, the engine replaced by a trio of
gensets, computer-controlled, etc? It's short of an hour, but an
interesting vid. It makes the guys look like morons, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ACjJnrn1lc

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/28/2013 8:34 PM, Ignoramus10926 wrote:
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

It won't fit in your parking lot?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Locomotives are a very simple device to control compared to predator
drone aircraft.

Is anyone working on using computers and low cost foreign labor to
replace all the locomotive engineers in north America? a lot of
subway systems do not have a human operator on the train.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 06/29/2013 10:52 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 6/28/2013 8:34 PM, Ignoramus10926 wrote:
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

It won't fit in your parking lot?

When I saw this thread I started to wonder how he was going to put it on
his trailer.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

Interesting. Collison? Very little damage. Or was it cut in half to
remove the engines?

Looks Photoshopped to me. The engine is too long by half.

I did not photoshop it, I took the picture today

I guess Martin was right and the Frankensteiners built it from two
differently painted engines.

I am also agreeing, this is most likely. It also seems to be longer
than usual, which is something I do not really "get", it could not
have a double engine or generator, so what is the point of making it
longer?

Wanna see one completely rebuilt, the engine replaced by a trio of
gensets, computer-controlled, etc? It's short of an hour, but an
interesting vid. It makes the guys look like morons, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ACjJnrn1lc

I watched the entire movie, very fascinating and close to my current
interests.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I was really surprised when you bought a shortish building -without- a
crane up top, y'know?

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

Interesting. Collison? Very little damage. Or was it cut in half to
remove the engines?

Looks Photoshopped to me. The engine is too long by half.

I did not photoshop it, I took the picture today

I guess Martin was right and the Frankensteiners built it from two
differently painted engines.

I am also agreeing, this is most likely. It also seems to be longer
than usual, which is something I do not really "get", it could not
have a double engine or generator, so what is the point of making it
longer?

Wanna see one completely rebuilt, the engine replaced by a trio of
gensets, computer-controlled, etc? It's short of an hour, but an
interesting vid. It makes the guys look like morons, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ACjJnrn1lc

"Metric Horsepower"????
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-29, Larry Jaques

wrote:

[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepo...2C_ks.2C_ch.29
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Forklifts do the job better in most instances

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/28/2013 20:34, Ignoramus10926 wrote:
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

It's too big for you to load up and scrap? G

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

Interesting. Collison? Very little damage. Or was it cut in half to
remove the engines?

Looks Photoshopped to me. The engine is too long by half.

I did not photoshop it, I took the picture today

I had to wait for two of those engines labeled "Canadian Pacific"
shunted cars in their local yard this morning.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

Interesting. Collison? Very little damage. Or was it cut in half to
remove the engines?

Looks Photoshopped to me. The engine is too long by half.

I did not photoshop it, I took the picture today

I had to wait for two of those engines labeled "Canadian Pacific"

Do they carry mail for Canada Post ?

shunted cars in their local yard this morning.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 19:33:04 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

Interesting. Collison? Very little damage. Or was it cut in half to
remove the engines?

Looks Photoshopped to me. The engine is too long by half.

I did not photoshop it, I took the picture today

I had to wait for two of those engines labeled "Canadian Pacific"

Do they carry mail for Canada Post ?

No, that would have been "Canadian National", CP was the money making
line.

shunted cars in their local yard this morning.

---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I watched the entire movie, very fascinating and close to my current
interests.

I was really surprised when you bought a shortish building -without- a
crane up top, y'know?

Forklifts do the job better in most instances

Yeah, they're great for so many things, plus they go outside and
load/unload the trucks. But for really heavy railroadish things...

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

And prices all stated in Euros. I'm thinking this was filmed for
showing in some country _other_ than our own.

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

Somebody can't spell!

Front loco. and the one behind it have the same spelling error

Bob
rgentryatozdotnet

The "Union Pacif" part of the name is on brighter yellow panels than
the "ific" part - and also several inches higher on the loco - so I
suspect side panels from a different loco have been installed.

The sign is correctly spelled on the loco in the background.
You can see this same engine (UP5720) in motion - sighns correct -
at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ngPDZw08k
Also he http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPUUmQercbw

It is a GE AC4400CW with Computerized Tractive Effort option - 4400 HP
AC traction motors built between 1993 and 2004. Union Pacific alne
owns 1338 of these locomotives.

AC indicates AC traction motors (with separate inverters for each
motor for speed control). The 4400 is the horsepower, the C indicates
6 axle trucks (in place of the B series 4 axle trucks) and the W
signifies the "americannsafety" or "wide" cab.
The same basic trainwas also built with 6000 HP as the AC6000CW
series.

See :
http://images.wikia.com/locomotive/i...W_OLS_logo.jpg
for an AC4400CW-CTE and note the location of the final "IFIC" of the
signage and imagine it on the opposite side. The "Operation
Lifesaver" and "we deliver" Are missing on the picture in question
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 19:33:04 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

Interesting. Collison? Very little damage. Or was it cut in half to
remove the engines?

Looks Photoshopped to me. The engine is too long by half.

I did not photoshop it, I took the picture today
I had to wait for two of those engines labeled "Canadian Pacific"

Do they carry mail for Canada Post ?

No, that would have been "Canadian National", CP was the money making
line.

Slower than molasses.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Notice the size of the fuel tanks.... holy ****....
Plus, in very cold weather, some railroads leave these diesels on 24/7.
Breathe deep....
These hyooge diesels cannot navigate all track, even assuming the correck
gauge.

Ed H. should note that these diesel-ELECTRICS accelerate just fine off the
throttled diesel generator....
Heh, which bodes quite well for the plain ole otto-cycled AngstMobile, I"m
happy to say.

These diesel electrics also run hyoooge (often) Quincy air compressors, for
the train-line braking system.
Also inneresting is that in at least some diesel-electric designs, the
generator also acts as the starter motor for the diesel -- super cool, imo.

Personally, I think 6,000 hp in one unit might be a bit much. The torque at
the wheels is so high, there isn't really enough coefficient of friction to
take full advantage -- esp in the rain. Spinning steel wheels can quickly
put divets in rail, rendering it useless, dangerous.
Mechanically more efficienct -- esp on the couplers, rail, etc -- would be
to have several smaller diesels spread throughout the freight consist.
Unless the consist is SO large, so heavy, they need these 6,000 hp behemoths
spread throughout the consist.

Smaller utility diesels can have a mere 350 hp.... and what they can pull
is fukn amazing -- altho their capacity rapidly decreases up grades.
But a mere 1,000 hp can haul well over 1 million pounds, up grade.... altho
how fast is another issue.
Heh, sort of like the AngstMobile, with its get-me-TF-home backup genset....
LOL
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Union-Pac...Locomotive.jpg

Nothing - they recycled some of the doors from another locomotive that
had the lettering laid out differently - note the background yellow is
more faded on the forward doors. They save everything that's still
usable, and raid the boneyard for parts just like you do.

And the paint jobs are low priority, until there's a capital
investment program to re-paint them al in a new color scheme. A lot
of times it's "get it back in service and making us money" period.

The extra louvers on the rear doors might have been from adding
dynamic braking resistors to a loco that wasn't built with them - you
really don't know unless you have the shop records, or ask the
engineer operating it.

There's not much point to dynamic braking on a diesel, no matter how big.
The reason is most of the freight consist cannot brake regeneratively, and
instead uses "train-line" compressed air from the diesel-driven compressors
for braking -- since there are no motors on any other cars for
regeneration..

That would be far from the first monster that a railroad has built -
they took all the surviving EMD F series streamline locomotives and
re-bodied them into freight locomotives, because you couldn't see for
beans with the full bodies on them. You don't need to see close for
mainline cross-country work, but you do for switching and siding
deliveries.

They take locomotives with blown engines or wrecked bodies, whack off
the body, and turn them into "Slugs" - powered trucks for climbing
hills. At low speeds the generator in the locomotive is turning full
speed and putting out full power - but the motors in the trucks can't
use it all without burning up

Or spinning out. Traction control notwithstanding.

because they're creeping. (Even with
external fan cooling.) A Slug gets power from the lead power unit
locomotive.

Union Pacific even ran Gas Turbines for a while - Jet Engines running
on #6 Bunker Oil pre-heated. And they parked under bridges and melted
the asphalt off the road deck a few times... But when the supply of
cheap heavy bunker oil went away (as they figured out how to crack and
refine it into gasoline and diesel) so did they.

Thank gawd.
Some railroads use jet-engine snow-blowers, and you'd think you've descended
into hell, being even a few blocks (few hundred yards) from these things.
--
EA

-- Bruce --