Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 20th century file handling.... Haas....

On Jun 13, 12:01*pm, Jon Elson wrote:
Existential Angst wrote:
However, when the file is saved to a flash drive, the ONLY thing you see
is the O-word file number as the file name, with no description
whatsoever. So it's impossible, after a while, to know what's what.

Sad, they had to dumb it down for machinist who are still stuck
in the paper tape era!

With LinuxCNC, you can group the files in directories related to specific
projects, makes things a lot easier to find after you have lots of
files floating around. *Also, keeps track of last modification date,
which is often helpful to make sure you have the right version of the
file. *And, it is on the network, so loading new files is easy, and
backup is also easy.

Jon

How does LinuxCNC solve the G code / post processor nightmare that has
existed forever?

It's long past time for machine shops and machinists to demand that
STEP-NC be adopted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STEP-NC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jon_banquer wrote:

How does LinuxCNC solve the G code / post processor nightmare that has
existed forever?

It's long past time for machine shops and machinists to demand that
STEP-NC be adopted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STEP-NC

We are looking into this. A project is in the planning stages
to make the language interpreter a pluggable component, so
you can plug in whatever language you want. It is not
a real soon project, but I think it will eventually happen.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-14, Jon Elson wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:

How does LinuxCNC solve the G code / post processor nightmare that has
existed forever?

It's long past time for machine shops and machinists to demand that
STEP-NC be adopted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STEP-NC

We are looking into this. A project is in the planning stages
to make the language interpreter a pluggable component, so
you can plug in whatever language you want. It is not
a real soon project, but I think it will eventually happen.

Wow! My Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC would really have a hissy fit
about that. It can't even accept comments, and even requires the
g-codes to be precisely column specific, with implied decimal point.
(I've never seen anything more picky about the G-code. :-)

Of course, it has an excuse. It only has a 6502 as a CPU, and
for G-code memory, only what is left over after the assembly-language
program which interprets it. :-)

And I would not have seen this at all, if you had not quoted it.
For whatever reason, I seem to have Jon Banquer killfiled. :-) I seem to
remember removing him from it, and then being prompted to put him back
by something else he posted, so I'll do without seeing him directly. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-14, Jon Elson wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:

[...]

* * * * * (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
* * * * * *--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

Please make sure I stay in your killfile this time. The modern world
of CNC machining and CADCAM that I live in isn't a world you will ever
be able to handle.