Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 20th century file handling.... Haas....

On 2013-06-14, Jon Elson wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:

How does LinuxCNC solve the G code / post processor nightmare that has
existed forever?

It's long past time for machine shops and machinists to demand that
STEP-NC be adopted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STEP-NC

We are looking into this. A project is in the planning stages
to make the language interpreter a pluggable component, so
you can plug in whatever language you want. It is not
a real soon project, but I think it will eventually happen.

Wow! My Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC would really have a hissy fit
about that. It can't even accept comments, and even requires the
g-codes to be precisely column specific, with implied decimal point.
(I've never seen anything more picky about the G-code. :-)

Of course, it has an excuse. It only has a 6502 as a CPU, and
for G-code memory, only what is left over after the assembly-language
program which interprets it. :-)

And I would not have seen this at all, if you had not quoted it.
For whatever reason, I seem to have Jon Banquer killfiled. :-) I seem to
remember removing him from it, and then being prompted to put him back
by something else he posted, so I'll do without seeing him directly. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564