Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bridgeport x-axis power feed

I have a "Servo Products" power feed that pops it's internal breaker as
soon as the power switch is turned on. The only thing I've checked so
far is the brushes and they are fine. Any direction?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks fired this volley in
:

I have a "Servo Products" power feed that pops it's internal breaker as
soon as the power switch is turned on. The only thing I've checked so
far is the brushes and they are fine. Any direction?

It might have a shorted direction switch, causing a dead-short on the
incoming power. It might have a shorted winding. In that case, you're
screwed.

I've got a $300 Chinese cheapy as the knee drive on my R2E4, and it's
been in service for - what? - over ten years(?) on two different
machines.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks fired this volley in
:

I have a "Servo Products" power feed that pops it's internal breaker as
soon as the power switch is turned on. The only thing I've checked so
far is the brushes and they are fine. Any direction?

It might have a shorted direction switch, causing a dead-short on the
incoming power. It might have a shorted winding. In that case, you're
screwed.

I've got a $300 Chinese cheapy as the knee drive on my R2E4, and it's
been in service for - what? - over ten years(?) on two different
machines.

Lloyd

At least there is a repair service center in town. I got this 25 years
ago an it's been on two mills too! We've been using it full speed to do
some minor production wood planing lately...that's a sin!

As one ages, one wishes for a knee drive! And, a power draw bar!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 24, 9:39*pm, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks fired this volley in
m:

I have a "Servo Products" power feed that pops it's internal breaker as
soon as the power switch is turned on. *The only thing I've checked so
far is the brushes and they are fine. *Any direction?

It might have a shorted direction switch, causing a dead-short on the
incoming power. *It might have a shorted winding. *In that case, you're
screwed.

I've got a $300 Chinese cheapy as the knee drive on my R2E4, and it's
been in service for - what? - over ten years(?) on two different
machines.

Lloyd

At least there is a repair service center in town. *I got this 25 years
ago an it's been on two mills too! *We've been using it full speed to do
some minor production wood planing lately...that's a sin!

As one ages, one wishes for a knee drive! *And, a power draw bar!

Tom, I'm looking at a schematic for an Align brand power feed, that
I'm guessing is an exact copy of the Servo brand (which I too have on
my Wells-Index mill but no schematic included in the documentation).
At any rate if any electronic component failed short, the drive would
be running full speed. And only the shorting failure of the stator or
rotor windings could cause this sort of problem. My guess is that
some other wire has come loose, and is shorting to ground. Check the
table feed limit switch harness, as the power goes through these right
after the circuit breaker and power on indicator light.
ignator
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Are you talking about another electronic device that was damaged by a
utility line power surge?
Maybe didn't think that was relevent?

Nevermind the maybe-a-wire-came-loose diagnoses.

--
WB

"Tom Gardner" Mars@Tacks wrote in message
I have a "Servo Products" power feed that pops it's internal breaker as
soon as the power switch is turned on. The only thing I've checked so far
is the brushes and they are fine. Any direction?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/26/2013 9:05 AM, Fred Hababorbitz wrote:
[...]

Thanks. The rubber "bubble" on the switch is worn through and the limit
DOES take the brunt of abuse.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/28/2013 5:35 PM, Wild_Bill wrote:
Are you talking about another electronic device that was damaged by a
utility line power surge?
Maybe didn't think that was relevent?

Nevermind the maybe-a-wire-came-loose diagnoses.

No, just happened last week. Putting it on the bench will probably tell.