Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HP on a grade.... KiddingHisSelf wants to know......

On Thu, 9 May 2013 01:59:20 +0000 (UTC), Przemek Klosowski
wrote:

On Mon, 06 May 2013 09:17:13 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

I liked the handstraps on the old VWs. I miss them. And the shims on the
fan belt drive pulley that were supposed to let you easily adjust the
tension, but which tended to rust into a unified lump.

That's brilliant engineering: as the car gets older, the belt loosens,
but simultaneously the shims rust and swell, and cause the pulley to
tension up the belt

Well, it would be, except that rust had the opposite effect. Fewer
shims = tighter belt. Shims that swell = looser belt. the shims went
between the two halves of the pulley.

Then, when you replaced the belt, and went looking for the shims you'd
taken out...and remember you "lent" them to a friend who needed some
but moved across the country since...jeez. g

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Mon, 06 May 2013 09:17:13 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

I liked the handstraps on the old VWs. I miss them. And the shims on the
fan belt drive pulley that were supposed to let you easily adjust the
tension, but which tended to rust into a unified lump.

That's brilliant engineering: as the car gets older, the belt loosens,
but simultaneously the shims rust and swell, and cause the pulley to
tension up the belt

Well, it would be, except that rust had the opposite effect. Fewer
shims = tighter belt. Shims that swell = looser belt. the shims went
between the two halves of the pulley.

Then, when you replaced the belt, and went looking for the shims you'd
taken out...and remember you "lent" them to a friend who needed some
but moved across the country since...jeez. g

Those shims were not supposed to be removed - just MOVED. I always
kept the spare shims on the back side of the pulley, under the nut.

Hy-Grade Hy Grade Steel Roofing Roof Company WARNING [email protected] Home Repair 7 September 7th 19 09:14 PM
Grade 5 or Grade 8 bolts? Tony[_19_] Home Repair 18 July 7th 10 03:27 PM
First Grade Redwood Arthur2 UK diy 3 May 27th 08 02:34 PM
C Grade 3/4 PLy at Menard's Markem Woodworking 1 February 2nd 07 01:03 AM
Hy-Grade Hy Grade Steel Roofing Roof Company W A R N I N G [email protected] Home Ownership 1 June 13th 06 06:36 PM