Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Clamping insert

I need to clamp a 3/4" square x 1/4" thick insert into a tool. The
insert will have to be clamped by it's edge. It's supported on the
bottom and on one side and the clamp will be on the third side. Picture
the insert standing up on it's 1/4" side. My question is how much
interference should the clamp be squeezing the insert? I'm thinking
about 0.005". It's easy to increase the interference by grinding the
holder back but a bitch to make it longer. The insert will be subject
to a LOT of force and can't move! (Yep, it cuts flat wire like a
guillotine.) I designed the cutter arm with the kind advice of people
here...regardless of politics!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, May 7, 2013 1:45:41 PM UTC-7, Tom Gardner wrote:
I need to clamp a 3/4" square x 1/4" thick insert into a tool.

I'm picturing a carbide cutter with a rabbit's-tooth function...
Consider clamping it against a soft gasket (copper or aluminum)
so that the soft material will deform into tool marks in the
seat and the insert, to hold it from shifting.

So, you'd make the clearance near zero, and use a five mil gasket.
Or, make the clearance -.005, and lock the insert into position
by adhering a pinch of carborundum grit onto the metal face it clamps against.

clamping cauls larry Woodworking 2 February 14th 08 10:30 AM
Replace a gas insert with a wood-burning insert [email protected] Home Repair 4 October 9th 06 05:16 PM
Clamping a T Bill Schwab Metalworking 1 April 21st 06 11:11 PM
Need help w/ clamping James Owens Woodworking 3 July 19th 05 05:33 PM
Clamping presure Art Ransom Woodturning 3 December 19th 04 06:49 PM