Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Clamping insert

I need to clamp a 3/4" square x 1/4" thick insert into a tool. The
insert will have to be clamped by it's edge. It's supported on the
bottom and on one side and the clamp will be on the third side. Picture
the insert standing up on it's 1/4" side. My question is how much
interference should the clamp be squeezing the insert? I'm thinking
about 0.005". It's easy to increase the interference by grinding the
holder back but a bitch to make it longer. The insert will be subject
to a LOT of force and can't move! (Yep, it cuts flat wire like a
guillotine.) I designed the cutter arm with the kind advice of people
here...regardless of politics!